Calling all personal trainer types: Protein for women?

Options
I have been reading that protein for women is helpful to lose weight. Any specific brands or way this should be done? Any mention of protein powder to my boyfriend or coworkers and they laugh and say "Your going to get big!" What is the actual truth behind this?

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Protein doesn't help you lose weight. Consuming enough protein while dieting will help preserve muscle. Strength training also does this. Without knowing anything about you, I'd guess you should aim for around 100g a day. If you can get this without powder, you don't need powder. Protein powder will not make anyone "big" on it's own. There's no reason men and women cannot consume the same brands of protein power (as long as you are sure it's just a protein powder and not a weight gainer or something).
  • mango5tango
    Options
    No you won't get big unless you're type that bulks up easy like my sister, which is kinda rare in girls I think. we eat the same food and do the exact same workouts but somehow she ends up gaining muscle but I don't lol

So i guess don't worry too much about that :)

but consuming protein does help you with your appetite so see what works for you best
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You will only get big if you add protein powder and go over your calories doing that...But that would also happen if you eat bread and go over your calories - so no fault of protein...
    Also - nothing special in protein re. males or females consuming it - your body needs it as much as your boyfriends body.....
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Any mention of protein powder to my boyfriend or coworkers and they laugh and say "Your going to get big!" What is the actual truth behind this?

OMG.. me too! My fiance seriously thinks I am going to turn into the hulk if I use protein powder and lift. He doesn't understand that it's really, really difficult for women to gain muscle. Like BusyLady said, making sure you have enough protein in your diet is mostly going to preserve the muscle you do have when eating at a deficit, so you are losing mostly fat and not so much muscle. Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Protein powders are supplement to help allow you to get enough protein. Generally, you want 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. Also, for fun, I pasted staci's story below. She is lean and fit. She eats 3000-4000 calories a day and power lifts.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Also, search "women who lift" and you will see the average results of good macro nutrition plus lifting.
  • Teardrop81
    Teardrop81 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    After reading this thread, I got curious about my own protein intake. Looking back at my diary, it is clear that I am not getting enough protein. I frequently have between 10 and 40 g of protein left, even though I've met or exceeded my calories. With that said, is there a powder that someone would recommend?
  • CajunTexan33
    CajunTexan33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Protein will make you big?? I'm not following.. lol. I have a protein shake every morning! Would much rather be full of protein and not sugars and carbs which end up making you crave more sugars and carbs! I guess if you're getting one with high calorie fats and sugars in it. I think it depends on what you would like to use it for. I have two scoops of protein powder, some almond milk and unsweetened frozen fruits every morning and I am full until lunch. I think its a great option for a post work or meal replacement. If you would like some suggestions on some to try I am happy to help!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    After reading this thread, I got curious about my own protein intake. Looking back at my diary, it is clear that I am not getting enough protein. I frequently have between 10 and 40 g of protein left, even though I've met or exceeded my calories. With that said, is there a powder that someone would recommend?

MFP standards are really low because they are based on the FDA. If you really want to know how much protein you shoudl take in, its around 70-85% of your body weight in grams if you don't happen to know your body fat %. Protein and weight training become even more important as you age so you don't lose lean body mass.

BTW, find a protein powder that taste good. I like EAS, Muscle Milk, Designer Whey (new favorite), Pure Protein and Body Fortress
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've been considering adding some protein powder to my diet as well, so I'm also curious to what the "professionals" among us would recommend.

I've plateaued over the past 2 weeks or so, and thought maybe the powder might stimulate some loss.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    protein alone isnt going to get you big. to get big you need to lift regularly, eat at a caloric surplus that includes at least 1 g of protein per lb of bodyweight, get proper rest/sleep... years of dedication.. oh and testosterone. lol
  • Sailfindragon
    Sailfindragon Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    These are the 3 brands I have used on and off for years and taste good.

Sci-MX diet - Currently use. (Chocolate)
    Maxiumuscle Diet - (Chocolate)
    Herbalife shake with additional protein powder
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a crazy body builder and with ridiculous testosterone, no you won't "get big" lol. you need protein to build muscle. building muscle burns calories and you'll lose some weight.

I drink protein shakes every day, I wouldn't get enough protein otherwise.

If you are strength training, you need about 60% or 80% of your body weight in grams of protein. The math goes like this:

your weight x 0.6 = minimum grams of protein you need
    your weight x 0.8 = ultimate goal of grams of protein you should be getting

I did my research on protein shakes and decided to try Whey Gourmet. It got good marks for taste, and its decent quality, so it was often recommended as the best beginner protein shake. It tastes really good!!!

Disclaimer: im NOT a personal trainer, this is just what I learned from doing way too much research...
  • chanel1twenty
    chanel1twenty Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I was losing at a decent rate when I first started MFP,
    & when I began supplementing protein & making no other changes, I started losing significantly faster.

So I believe it.

Of course everyone is different & it probably helped me lose because it keeps you full longer, but either way why not give it a shot.

I mostly have EAS advantEDGE shakes & Pure Protein. I like these the best because, depending on the flavor, the calories range from 100-120 per serving.
  • Teardrop81
    Teardrop81 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm glad I looked into this. I've been screwing up big time, depriving my poor body of protein. I'm sorry, body. :sad: I'll do better.
  • Suzyp0414
    Suzyp0414 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks I think this is definately going to be better advice than going to GNC store and asking the sales clerks!
  • Cinnabon64
    Cinnabon64 Posts: 32
    Options
    I use BSN Syntha-6 vanilla ice cream flavour with frozen fruit and baby spinach and water every day for my first meal of the day. Does a decent job of keeping me full till supper time!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I've used a LOT of different protein powders over the years and right now, my all time favorite is the Phase 8 line. It is a protein blend, tastes good, and is pretty inexpensive (because it is a blend). I have gotten to the point that I believe that unless you are a high level athlete with very specific needs, that a good blend is the best type of protein powder you can get. Kind of the swiss army knife of protein powders - not excellent at anything, but good for a lot of things.
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Not a personal trainer here...

Protein powder is like icing on a cake.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    oh, and for a woman to "get big" takes a lot more than protein powder.