Help me :(

Options
I stopped counting and being honest with myself a few months ago. I've gone on vacation, gained some weight, and I'm not nearly where I wanted to be by now. I'm feeling that hate towards myself for not sticking to it. I feel like its the same thing every time, but I really thought it would be different this time! I could really use some encouragement. Maybe some new low cal snacks I could try to get started again? I'm having a rough time with sweets lately :o/

Replies

• happily
    happily Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    What kind of trouble are you having with sweets? Craving them? Can't say no to them? Sneaking them? Trying to have a little bite but not able to stop? Sweet tooth?

If you're craving them, try to figure out what it is that's triggering the craving. Is there another food that can give you what your body is asking for?

If you can't say no to them, try not to bring them into the house. No one in the house needs them. If Hubby really, really wants something, he can run to 7-11, but he cannot bring home more than what he'll eat alone at one time.

If you're sneaking them, you're not ready to be honest with yourself right now.

If you're trying to have a little bite but can't stop, take your bite and cover the rest in salt or Tabasco (unless you like salty, spicy sweets....) :wink:

If it's a sweet tooth, have fruits and carrots and gum and Crystal Light handy.
  • macbikegeek
    macbikegeek Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Lots of sweet tasting things with artificial sweeteners, too. Not my favorite things to eat, but if you don't get side effects from one of the sweeteners, there are a lot of sweet candies with very few calories.

Remember that you are trying to adjust (if you are like me) long time behaviors and it takes time and it isn't easy. You are being honest with your self on one level, since you recognize you have stopped counting and tracking. That you know that is good.

The fact that you stopped counting means you may not be making progress right now, but not cause to be guilty or hate yourself. Just time to try and get going again and see what else is going on that you need to deal with that is making it hard to keep counting. We (people) all struggle with changing habits and behaviors, whether it is eating or other things that have some immediate payback, even if they really aren't healthy long term.

My first day tracking again, and I was way over targets - not really a surprise - I wouldn't be having to count and start paying attention if I hadn't been doing that for a while. But it doesn't matter how/why I got there, I'm here, and the only way to deal with it is day by day. I have my plan for tomorrow and should hit the targets.

Just do what you can, day by day. We're all rooting for you!

Lee
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I totally understand - I did great last year (Sept-Dec) - lost 30 lbs... then from mid January to mid May of this year I was totally off the wagon - regained 15 lbs. It's very frustrating, but you have to let go of the self-hate. Recognize that people fall off all the time - you just have to pick yourself up and keep going. I did that, and am now back to almost 30 lbs lost and more motivated than ever!

Regarding the sweets, I would highly recommend you just keep it out of the house, like the previous poster said. Also, plan your food out ahead of time - I try to do this the night before, as part of my bedtime routine. This way, I print out my plan each day and it's much easier to stick to, than having to worry about logging as the day goes on, or wondering how something fits into what I have left. Allow yourself an occasional treat, but try to get creative and make it a healthy version. For example, I make "soft-serve banana" that's ice cream made 100% out of bananas only... (but it's the texture of ice cream) - I still eat real ice cream sometimes, but I also try to have healthy versions like this sometimes. There are tons of good recipes on here that you can try.

Good luck! You CAN do it - you just have to put your desires into action and realize that NO ONE is perfect - don't get mad at yourself for messing up, just learn from your mistakes and over time you will have healthier habits.
  • JeanneTops
    JeanneTops Posts: 2,620 Member
    Options
    Wow, we've all been there. Some of us more than once (twice, three times, beyond counting...:ohwell: )

You've already taken the most important step which is being honest with yourself. And the second step which is admitting to others you've stumbled and asking for help.

It sounds like you've weighed yourself - that's a huge step! I skipped that moment of truth many times on my way back up.

I suggest the next step is to do the smallest thing you think you can manage. For example, if you can't log in a whole day - just log in breakfast or dinner or everything after dinner or just the sweets! Every day, decide to do it "just for today". The next days and the next steps will get a whole lot easier.

And stop beating up on yourself! Forget the past. You are where you are and you can do whatever you set your mind to. Just take it in baby steps.
  • MrsHazra
    MrsHazra Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You can get back on track,, you just need to prepare.. Iike other posters are saying you should really plan you meals and snacks. I had a really plan boring food plan t o start with but once I got familiar with low cal ideas and snacks I can now have variety. Great snacks are carrot sticks or capsicum with home made hummus. I also have soft serve banana .. this recipe I got from accountant_boi and it is great, you could add peanut butter to it too and it is delicious. I also have a nut and rasin mix 1/4 cup of walnuts and 1 teaspoon of sultanas and that is a a great snack that keeps you tummy fuller for longer... Hope that helps ,,, You took the first step admitting that you are struggling.....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
  • french13
    french13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    we have an Aldis close by our house and when I have a sweet tooth I go and buy those fit & active products....like the chocolate weight loss shake (170 calories) and the chocolate chunk granola bars (90 calories). They're pretty good too and cheap.
  • judswi
    judswi Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I did that I stopped journaling my foods in the spring and gained 10 lbs this summer before I started counting again. once I started counting and being aware of what goes into my mouth i statred loosing again.
  • gemmableu
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your input. This is exactly what I needed to read to start off my day right! I'm feeling good and I'm going to give it %100 today. Thank you! It's nice to know I'm not the only one. :)