Turkey Burgers with Zucchini

Options
HealthyChanges2010
HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/05/turkey-burgers-with-zucchini.html (for photos)

Servings: 5 • Serving Size:
Calories: 156 • Fat: 6.8 g • Protein: 18.6 g • Carb: 5.5 g • Fiber: 1.3 g

1.25 lbs 93% lean ground turkey
1 small zucchini, grated
1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
1 clove garlic, grated
1 tbsp red onion, grated
salt and fresh pepper
oil spray
In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, zucchini, breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Make 5 equal patties.

For best results: use a hand grater to grate the zucchini, onion and garlic super fine. Get the pan hot before you put the burgers on to get a nice sear, then lowered the flame to the lowest setting to let the burgers cook all the way through, turning a few times so the burgers don't burn.

Heat a large skillet on high heat. When hot, lightly spray oil. Add burgers to the pan and reduce the heat to low. Cook on one side until browned, then flip. Flip over a few times to prevent burning and to make sure the burgers are cooked all the way through.

This was great for so many reasons! Not only did they taste great, adding zucchini also lowered the calories and fat per serving, it made one extra burger and what a great way to get your picky kids to eat their vegetables. This made 5 big burgers. Serve them on 1 Point hamburger buns and top with lettuce, tomatoes, red onion slices, pickles, ketchup or mustard (add extra points). My final burger with the bun, ketchup, lettuce, onion came out to 4 points.

**The above note is from the website and it appears it's a WW site so I left in the point value for those using WW. I've not yet made these but they sound yum and plan on making them today! I doubt I'll use a bun and will simply cook them up, freeze some and serve mine with brown rice or a nice green salad or both. Still deciding :)

Would love to hear how you enjoy it if you decide to try out the recipe, I'll share my results as well :wink:

Replies

• countrymama08
    Options
    The recipes on this site are great. I make the Shrimp scampi all the time. I have made the "red velvet" cupcakes as well. They were ok as a substitute.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    The recipes on this site are great. I make the Shrimp scampi all the time. I have made the "red velvet" cupcakes as well. They were ok as a substitute.
    I know great recipes on that site, thank you! I went to look up Quinoa recipes and then wandered around some. Looks to be some yummy healthy ideas :)

Gonna pick up items for the burgers today if I remember to write what I need down before I leave. lol

Thanks Again Hon :flowerforyou:
    Becca
  • myrazimmie
    myrazimmie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    A good use for all my zucchini. However, I am fortunate, as my kids love it steamed or fried in a tiny bit of olive oil.
  • bettejeanb
    bettejeanb Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. I might try it!!!
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    YUMMY! I use ground turkey and I love zuchinni! Thanks for the recipie!!
  • mabeyta
    mabeyta Posts: 3
    Options
    I love turkey burgers. But I wish they would have recipes for one or two servings. Most make four or more.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I love turkey burgers. But I wish they would have recipes for one or two servings. Most make four or more.
    Marty you could cut the recipe in 1/2 or freeze the extras to pull out later and just warm them up another time. :) That's what I plan on doing.:tongue:

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • mabeyta
    mabeyta Posts: 3
    Options
    Well when is dinner then? I don't want to be late...lol
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Well when is dinner then? I don't want to be late...lol
    About 2 minutes! Can you make it? lol
  • browneyesbb89
    browneyesbb89 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Sounds Yummy!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    bump
  • chelleim
    chelleim Posts: 78
    Options
    Bump!
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Bump! This sounds awesome!
  • wendimarlow
    wendimarlow Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow, this sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipe. Going to try it tonight!:wink:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Wow, this sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipe. Going to try it tonight!:wink:
    Let me know what you think :)
  • MamaBudda
    Options
    Going to try this one. Sounds yummy.:smile:
  • souldancer
    Options
    I love making turkey burgers with chopped garlic and gorganzola cheese mixed in the meat. I use baby spinach or mixed greens. I will try mixing zucchini in my burgers.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I love making turkey burgers with chopped garlic and gorganzola cheese mixed in the meat. I use baby spinach or mixed greens. I will try mixing zucchini in my burgers.
    mmm and I like your ideas as well, gonna have to give them a try, thanks!!:wink:

Becca:heart:
  • mom2ecb
    Options
    bump