exercising longer??

Options
I am abt 70 pounds over weight I just started my diet yesterday and today I was goin to run on the tread mill I turned it halfway an was walking at a pretty fast pace I could only go for 10 minutes and I was exhausted how is everyone exercising so long like 40 minutes or more on the treadmill when will it get easier lol

Replies

• mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Because most everyone else here has been at it for more than 2 days. It takes time. It took time to gain weight and get "out of shape" and it is going to take time to lose weight and get back into shape. Try adding 5 minutes every time. If that's too hard, slow down and go longer.
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I started last November - about 70# overweight but would have told you I was fairly fit. The elliptical is my morning work out. I started at about 6 minutes and added 2 minutes a week and then after I got to 20 minutes I upped the incline, then I upped the resistance. Since I only allow 20-30 minutes for that particular exercise I had to make it harder since I couldn't make it longer. Do your 10 minutes this week and then up it a bit next week and then more the week after that. It will get easier every single week-really. Also try to get past the first instance in each workout when your body says it wants to quit, bust through that and then do a bit more. Still everyday at about 6 minutes my body sends a little message to my brain that it is really tired and wants to quit for the day-too bad is the message sent back to my body. And sure enough the fatigue I was experiencing evaporates and I go on. I think runners have a technical name for it but I cannot recall it at the minute.

Good luck on your journey-it is an amazing thing you are doing!
  • ALittleBitLess1
    ALittleBitLess1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    check out couch to 5k, its a programme to get you running 5k in 9 weeks. Sounds ridiculious?? its not, honest! it starts you off with intervals of walking and running, gradualy incresing the time running (starts at a minute) and decreasing the time walking.

check it out!
  • Jen21878
    Jen21878 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out, definitely take it easy so you don't injure yourself. If you're starting out on the treadmill, start with a 3.0....

I actually never go over a 3.5 b/c I'm on an incline....and I also only do 30 min at a time.

Don't kill yourself!! Enjoy working out!!! :)
  • pandabear7486
    pandabear7486 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    definitely start small and work up to it. slow your pace, shorten your time. do what you can. maybe try throwing in a burst of speed to add a challenge after you feel comfortable. remember it's about YOU, not everyone else. good luck =)
  • strick1982
    strick1982 Posts: 75
    Options
    As the others have been saying, you have to start out small. You finished 10 minutes. That's better than no minutes. You could try doing 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes later on in the day. Increase those 10 minutes a little bit each day. I wouldn't try running yet as it may not be a motivator if you can't do it "yet". Plus, the impact of your weight may not be too pleasing to your joints right now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've been at it for 9 months...you don't re-gain your fitness or get your fitness in two days...it's baby steps, it takes time. When I started last October I could maybe walk 20 minutes 3x weekly. I didn't really do much more than that for awhile and just worked on being able to walk a little longer and a little further...strengthening my joints and tendons. Eventually I started a C25K program...did it twice before I could actually do it the way I was supposed to. Finally started strength training last December. It was all baby steps....

Now, I lift my *kitten* off, run 5K and 10K races...obstacle course mud races, etc. I cycle, I swim, I run...next year I'm doing 3 sprint triathlons that I'll start training for in January/February. Believe me, I couldn't have imagined any of this 9 months ago...I just wanted to be able to run a mile...that was my very first fitness goal. Now I'll smoke a mile and it feels awesome.

<<<<<Throwback Thursday pic BTW...this was me last October after I'd lost my first 10 Lb
  • Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    well I just started a week ago and my first day on my treadmill I didn't think i would last 10 min but I ended up doing an whole hour. I have the mentality of never giving up so I just keep telling my self just 5 more min. It also helps if you have a your treadmill in front of your tv, focus on the screen and the time will fly by.
  • DeeBrownBaker
    Options
    I find that I exercise longer if I just take a walk outside... so much to see... the treadmill bores me...
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    When I first started out, in August, I could barely walk for 5 minutes. Keep adding little by little as you're comfortable with it. Pretty soon, you'll be surprising yourself!
  • welshboy22
    welshboy22 Posts: 20
    Options
    As the old saying goes " how to you eat an elephant, one chunk at a time". It may look like a big up hill struggle at present but if you do it slowly and gradually increase time you will get there! When I started rowing I would be done after 5 mins, now do 1 hr sessions, taken six months to get there. You will get there :smile:
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    check out couch to 5k, its a programme to get you running 5k in 9 weeks. Sounds ridiculious?? its not, honest! it starts you off with intervals of walking and running, gradualy incresing the time running (starts at a minute) and decreasing the time walking.

check it out!

Yes, this. If you like running but want to do more and progress from your couch, this is what it's designed for.

I'd also suggest doing some other non-cardio exercise, as that will build muscle, which will allow you to do much, much more.
  • Gatus98
    Gatus98 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

check it out!

I definitely recommend C25K, as well. You'll amaze yourself! I also suggest Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. That is the workout video that really took me to a level where I could actual workout at all. I stayed on Level 1 for like two months instead of 10 days, but it worked. It's only like 25 minutes and it's broken into circuits.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    As everyone else already said, I started just walking 15 minutes on the treadmill and gradually added time and then increased incline. Then when I was comfortable with that I did the C25K program to step it up a notch. Take your time, I know you want to see results but slow and steady really does win :)

Every 10 minutes counts (or 5 or whatever you can do) Just continue to progress from there and you will see and feel the changes.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    You'll only cause injury from pushing yourself too far too soon. Build up to it and vary your exercise to strengthen different muscle groups and before you know it you'll be doing more than you ever thought possible.
  • tryin08
    tryin08 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Last summer, my friend would come over every other day to use my treadmill( training for her first 5k). I'd just had a baby 2mos prior and I was supposed to work out after she got off so she could hold baby. I chickened out, couldn't last 5 min at a 2.0 speed. Eventually I just stopped trying.

This summer, I joined the YMCA at started again at 5 min. Now one month later, I'm up to 20 min and 1.5 miles and having to start running on treadmill because walking is not fast enough. I discovered using an iPod with fast beat music REALLY helps get me moving. I try to beat my previous number each time. I like to see round numbers so if I went.25 miles, then next time I try for.30 or see if I can get a round number of calories., etc. I try to up my numbers each workout, small increments. I use calories, distance or time, try for a bigger number each time. I also up my incline.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    When I started my C25K program last year, I barely made it 0.5 miles before I had to collapse in a sweaty, gasping heap on the sidewalk. Following the program (and the subsequent 5k210k program), I reached a point where I could comfortably run for over an hour in a little over three months. It's going to take time. Take it slow. Push yourself, but take care not to injure yourself. When you get comfortable, adding some dumbbell/freeweight exercises to your routine will help immensely in both weightloss and exercise goals.
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    I feel your pain as I made the tension on my exercise a bit harder and boy did it kill the legs but i persevered for 2 days at the speed I had been going at then I decided to slow the pace down a bit today and got 4o minutes on the exercise bike if I went at the pace that I had been going at I think I would of been lucky to last 10 minutes on it today. Just take your with the treadmill it will happen maybe don't make it so hard on yourself make it easier until your body gets used to it then make it a bit harder it all takes time.
  • letitiakay
    Options
    It's called a runners high :-) I get the same effect from long fast paced walls of over an hour or so
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I am abt 70 pounds over weight I just started my diet yesterday and today I was goin to run on the tread mill I turned it halfway an was walking at a pretty fast pace I could only go for 10 minutes and I was exhausted how is everyone exercising so long like 40 minutes or more on the treadmill when will it get easier lol

It takes time to build up endurance. Last year, I started walking at a rather slow pace (1.5 - 2 mph), but would go for 1 mile. Now, I can walk for 5 miles with an average speed of 3-3.5 mph around town (which has a lot of hills). When I walk on the flat trail down by the river I can average 4 mph. I just recently decided to start working on running again and I'm using the Zombies,Run! 5k training app for that (couch to 5k program).

Now my higher intensity workouts, rarely ever get to 40 mins.