Advice for my fear?

Options
I've been eating in a deficit for quite a while and I have had no problem with hunger or weight loss. I eat around 1200 a day and I exercise atleast 5-6 times a week, strength training. I have been exhausted, fatigued, sore, and depressed for the last few months and decided that maybe I should increase my calories since I am now trying to maintain my weight loss.
However, I recently got my blood tested and found out that the reason I was feeling that way was because I am hypothyroid. I am afraid that the only reason I was able to lose weight and now maintain that weight loss was because of my large deficit, knowing that it is often difficult to lose weight when you are hypothyroid. Now I am afriad that increasing my calories with cause me to gain weight.
What do you guys think?

Replies

• Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm hypo and have no problems maintaining with increased calories when I want to, or losing with decreased calories when I'm so inclined. Are you on medication? It can take several months (sometimes longer) to get optimized on meds, too, so it's all individual.
  • alyssabrown94
    Options
    I'm hypo and have no problems maintaining with increased calories when I want to, or losing with decreased calories when I'm so inclined. Are you on medication? It can take several months (sometimes longer) to get optimized on meds, too, so it's all individual.

Yes, this was my understanding from what I've read. I am on generic Levothyroxine, 50mcg. I just started taking it so, of course, we don't know if it is the correct dosage for me yet. Thank you for your input, it gives me hope. I've read so many stories and comments on people who get stuck with their weight loss efforts or gain weight easily because of this condition. I guess if I begin to gain, I would just lower my calories again.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Options
    I started out on 50 mcg generic Levothyroxine, and went up to 75 mcg generic, then switched to brand-name Synthroid. I actually feel better on the brand than the generic, but a lot of people do fine with either. My labs currently indicate that I could go up to 100 mcg, but I have a good endo who's letting me decide based on my symptoms. I feel well enough that I don't want to increase my dosage yet, but it's an option if I start feeling badly again. I also have the option of adding T3, which I haven't done just yet either. Many doctors won't even prescribe it, but some of us need it.

Good luck! It's not a fun disease to have, but it's definitely treatable, especially if you have a good doctor.
  • alyssabrown94
    Options
    Thank you for your advice. I was looking at your food diary to see what you were eating and stuff. Do you do alternate day fasting?
  • Keiras_Mom
    Options
    Yes, it's awesome! Don't look for healthy ideas in my diary though. :drinker: I enjoy my cocktails quite a bit. :blushing:
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I've been eating in a deficit for quite a while and I have had no problem with hunger or weight loss. I eat around 1200 a day and I exercise atleast 5-6 times a week, strength training. I have been exhausted, fatigued, sore, and depressed for the last few months and decided that maybe I should increase my calories since I am now trying to maintain my weight loss.
    However, I recently got my blood tested and found out that the reason I was feeling that way was because I am hypothyroid. I am afraid that the only reason I was able to lose weight and now maintain that weight loss was because of my large deficit, knowing that it is often difficult to lose weight when you are hypothyroid. Now I am afriad that increasing my calories with cause me to gain weight.
    What do you guys think?

Could also be because you're not eating enough.
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a hypothyroid, its a pain... but its not the end of the world!! x one on medication your be alright :)

if you have been fine with it for that long, surely it wont change? what level are you, really low or mild?
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I would worry about stabilizing your medication, first. Then see what happens to your energy level....if you feel better don't change your intake,....unless you want to. If you want to once your figure out your dosage, and want to increase your intake do it slowly..see how it effects you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I think you can't live on 1200 calories for the rest of your life.... Just up your cals slowly
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I've been on generic Levothyroxine for years now - I've lost weight and gained weight ... but I really can't say my thyroid issues have played any part in that, I can look and tie it all to eating/exercise. If anything, I would think getting on the medication would help moderate your body and that you should be able to eat more and maintain. Maybe add in some cardio in addition to the strength training, not so much to burn calories (as you are already eating like a bird!) but ironically, cardio actually seems to energize me *Ü*
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I'm hypo as well. It really all depends on your body and how it's dealing with the hypothyroid. It's highly likely that you were hypo before when you were losing and the symptoms only became apparent more recently, so you shouldn't be too worried about gaining weight back just because of your thyroid.

It might sound harsh of me to say but I think people use hypothyroidism as a crutch/excuse. You CAN lose weight/maintain with hypothyroidism. It might be harder but it's completely doable.

If you're going to increase your calories do so slowly: 100 extra a day for a week or two so that your body can adjust.

My suggestion before increasing calories: Take a hard and honest look at your food diary right now. Is it really accurate? Are you really only eating that many calories?

I say this because I had stalled in my weight loss, but after taking a hard look at my eating habits I realized I was eating "bites" and "tastes" of things through out the day while I fixed meals for my family. All those little bites together were adding up to 100-200 extra calories a day, every day (so 700-1,400 extra calories a week). Doesn't sound like a lot but it was enough to stall me out and keep me in maintenance vs. the slow but steady loss I was having before.

Feel free to add me as a friend- my food diary is set to friends only.
  • alyssabrown94
    Options
    Well I have only been on 50 mcg for a few days, so of course I'm not expecting any extraordinary change. In fact, I'm not expecting anything at all because I know these things are so particular to each individual.
    While I don't have a problem, right now anyways, eating around 1200, I sometimes want to increase just because I know it would be healthier for someone my age. With that being said, I could have a low metabolism as a result of low thyroid and this may be the in take I need to maintain.
    People on here preach to eat more, and insist that 1200 is simply not enough for anyone.--this too is very particular to the individual. Some people don't need that many calories, especially when they have an illness that prevents them from metabolizing nutrients efficiently.
    I will see how this medicine works for me. I have another blood test on August 1st. When I get those results and depending on how I feel, I will focus on upping my calories.

@Keiras_Mom-- Awesome! I do 16:8 fasting, and I love it:)
  • alyssabrown94
    Options
    I'm hypo as well. It really all depends on your body and how it's dealing with the hypothyroid. It's highly likely that you were hypo before when you were losing and the symptoms only became apparent more recently, so you shouldn't be too worried about gaining weight back just because of your thyroid.

It might sound harsh of me to say but I think people use hypothyroidism as a crutch/excuse. You CAN lose weight/maintain with hypothyroidism. It might be harder but it's completely doable.

If you're going to increase your calories do so slowly: 100 extra a day for a week or two so that your body can adjust.

My suggestion before increasing calories: Take a hard and honest look at your food diary right now. Is it really accurate? Are you really only eating that many calories?

I say this because I had stalled in my weight loss, but after taking a hard look at my eating habits I realized I was eating "bites" and "tastes" of things through out the day while I fixed meals for my family. All those little bites together were adding up to 100-200 extra calories a day, every day (so 700-1,400 extra calories a week). Doesn't sound like a lot but it was enough to stall me out and keep me in maintenance vs. the slow but steady loss I was having before.

Feel free to add me as a friend- my food diary is set to friends only.

I am not having trouble losing weight or maintaining it. I have just developed a fear of increasing calories because I am scared I will some how gain weight uncontrollably. I guess I just wish I knew my exact BMR haha. Thank you for your reply:)
  • alyssabrown94
    Options
    I've been on generic Levothyroxine for years now - I've lost weight and gained weight ... but I really can't say my thyroid issues have played any part in that, I can look and tie it all to eating/exercise. If anything, I would think getting on the medication would help moderate your body and that you should be able to eat more and maintain. Maybe add in some cardio in addition to the strength training, not so much to burn calories (as you are already eating like a bird!) but ironically, cardio actually seems to energize me *Ü*

I occasionally do a zumba or kick boxing class, and I also jump rope between strength training sets for cardio. I'm just not a huge fan, never have been, haha. Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it!:)
  • Chriscic
    Chriscic Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am missing something here. If you were diagnosed as HYPO then that means your metabolism has been too slow. So on medication your metabolism will speed up and you should find it easier, not harder, to lose weight.

BTW I have been hypo and taking Levothyroxine (or variant) since I was 13. Of course I have been stable for a long time and don't even think about it anymore, so I know my situation is different. Good luck!
  • alyssabrown94
    Options
    Maybe I am missing something here. If you were diagnosed as HYPO then that means your metabolism has been too slow. So on medication your metabolism will speed up and you should find it easier, not harder, to lose weight.

BTW I have been hypo and taking Levothyroxine (or variant) since I was 13. Of course I have been stable for a long time and don't even think about it anymore, so I know my situation is different. Good luck!

Well since this is the first time I've been put on medication of any kind, there is no telling whether this will personally work for me, the part of where the concern lies. I may need a higher dosage, or a different brand. Or something.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options

That's correct.
  • Chriscic
    Chriscic Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Makes sense. I'm no doctor, but I was always told that HYPO is pretty controllable. Hope you do well.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think?

Did they give you any medication for the thyroid condition?