TDEE QUESTION

Options

Replies

• born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    So I've been reading a lot about TDEE in the forums. I decided to calculate mine, and it's 2341 cals. I read that you should subtract 20% from that, and that should be your calorie goal. That puts me at 1867. I am really scared to eat that many cals!!! Can this be right?

GO lower. My TDEE is 2750 and I'm cutting at 1810. You could do 1600 and be well off. DO IT!! :)
    Based on the stats I've seen you post in the forums, 1810 is below your BMR so you shouldn't be going that low.

OP, make sure that you're entering your activity level honestly. With such a small amount to lose, you really shouldn't be under TDEE -10% (or 15% if you really want to push it). If you don't follow the TDEE method correctly, it's not going to work.

That's my goal to lose 1.5-2lbs a week. I avg 1980 per day and lose 1.75lbs per week. I have a cheat day once a week so that's what brings my daily avg. up. BUt you are right Crista. You know what's up :)
  • kelseymaccombs
    kelseymaccombs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    For TDEE I set my exercise level to "little/none," and subtract 20%. This way, when I work out, I eat back my exercise calories.

I chose this route so that I didn't have to estimate my weekly activity, since it changes often due to my schedule.

That being said, my TDEE-20% is about 1680 calories.
  • lovinlandl
    lovinlandl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    adding another question :)

so, if I am to eat an average of 1600 per day but, once MFP updates with my FB calories I am always under 1200 net -- is that ok as long as I am eating at 1600 or my TDEE - 20%?
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I just calculated my TDEE (currently working out 3 times per week, 211 pounds) and it stated 2411, which would put me at 1928 calories per day! If I eat close to 1700 calories (non-workout day), I gain weight. I do have a slow metabolism, always have, no matter what my eating habits have been.

And I am very on top of my logging too.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    adding another question :)

so, if I am to eat an average of 1600 per day but, once MFP updates with my FB calories I am always under 1200 net -- is that ok as long as I am eating at 1600 or my TDEE - 20%?
    So what you're saying is your TDEE -20% = 1600 calories. You have an intake of 1600 calories per day and burn 400 (to net 1200)?

If so, and you entered your activity level correctly when calculating TDEE, you're fine.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I actually underestimated my activity level. Right now my calorie goal is set at 1430... and like you, I'm not losing.

So, out of interest, why do you think you would lose eating an extra 400(ish) calories per day?
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Everyone says "eating more" is the ticket. You can see from the other replies that many people have found themselves in the same situation and using TDEE worked for them. I don't know if I will lose, but what I'm doing isn't working, which is why I'm asking.
  • __Di__
    Options
    Everyone says "eating more" is the ticket. You can see from the other replies that many people have found themselves in the same situation and using TDEE worked for them. I don't know if I will lose, but what I'm doing isn't working, which is why I'm asking.

If what you are doing isn't working, why do you think eating even more will succeed.

People say "eat more" because it is the "thing to say" apparently without any scientific fact. Eat more is often the response before a person has viewed diaries.

Think carefully about what you are doing, just don't fall into any broscience trap, you would be better off researching the physics of how weightloss occurs rather than just eating more because it seems to be the done thing to do.
  • crista_b
    Options

If what you are doing isn't working, why do you think eating even more will succeed.

People say "eat more" because it is the "thing to say" apparently without any scientific fact. Eat more is often the response before a person has viewed diaries.

Think carefully about what you are doing, just don't fall into any broscience trap, you would be better off researching the physics of how weightloss occurs rather than just eating more because it seems to be the done thing to do.
    Actually, most people say eat more, because the majority of people that are asking aren't losing because they're eating under their BMR which is why they aren't losing to begin with, hence switching to TDEE -x%. That method is known to work much better than the generic MFP calculator because the MFP calculator will usually place people below their BMR causing very slow or no weight loss.
  • __Di__
    Options

Actually, most people say eat more, because the majority of people that are asking aren't losing because they're eating under their BMR which is why they aren't losing to begin with, hence switching to TDEE -x%. That method is known to work much better than the generic MFP calculator because the MFP calculator will usually place people below their BMR causing very slow or no weight loss.

Wrong, they are not losing because they underestimate the grub and drink calories and overestimate the exercise calories.

Eat at a deficit,even below BMR and you lose weight, that is scientific fact.
  • crista_b
    Options

Wrong, they are not losing because they underestimate the grub and drink calories and overestimate the exercise calories.

Oh ok. I guess I'll just switch to a 200 calorie/day diet then.
  • __Di__
    Options

Who said anything about 200?
  • crista_b
    Options

Well it's a big deficit, and according to you, any deficit will cause weight loss so a big deficit will cause lots of fast weight loss. Science, right.
  • __Di__
    Options

Well it's a big deficit, and according to you, any deficit will cause weight loss so a big deficit will cause lots of fast weight loss. Science, right.

No that isn't science that is you being awkward and throwing everything off the path.

200 calories is not scientific fact for a day's worth of calories.

btw who said anything about "big deficit"? I didn't, I just said "deficit".
  • crista_b
    Options

No that isn't science that is you being awkward and throwing everything off the path.

200 calories is not scientific fact for a day's worth of calories.
    What I'm trying to say is that it's not right to be going below BMR so when you say "Eat at a deficit,even below BMR and you lose weight, that is scientific fact." sure, you might lose some weight, but that doesn't make it healthy. I could lose weight eating nothing; that doesn't mean it's going to be the right way to go about it, and it's usually not as effective as eating within the right range (i.e., between BMR and TDEE). The meaning of BMR is the amount of calories your body uses by simply living so by going under that, your body has to find other ways to live. It's simply not healthy to go below BMR. Most people that aren't losing aren't because they're under their BMR so their body is trying to figure out how to support itself with less than it requires to do so causing very slow/un-noticeable weight loss. By increasing caloric intake to the healthy weight loss range, you can "eat more to lose" as they say.
  • crista_b
    Options
    btw who said anything about "big deficit"? I didn't, I just said "deficit".
    I was expanding your statement. I didn't say that you said it. You said a deficit causes weight loss so if a=b, then 10a=10b.
  • __Di__
    Options
    What I'm trying to say is that it's not right to be going below BMR so when you say "Eat at a deficit,even below BMR and you lose weight, that is scientific fact." sure, you might lose some weight, but that doesn't make it healthy. I could lose weight eating nothing; that doesn't mean it's going to be the right way to go about it, and it's usually not as effective as eating within the right range (i.e., between BMR and TDEE). The meaning of BMR is the amount of calories your body uses by simply living so by going under that, your body has to find other ways to live. It's simply not healthy to go below BMR. Most people that aren't losing aren't because they're under their BMR so their body is trying to figure out how to support itself with less than it requires to do so causing very slow/un-noticeable weight loss. By increasing caloric intake to the healthy weight loss range, you can "eat more to lose" as they say.

It is a scientific fact that eating at a deficit means the person loses weight.

Now if they are eating at a deficit at say, 1400 calories, but report back that they are not losing weight but they are logging everything religiously and completely and utterly honestly and not leaving anything out, then this means that their deficit is below 1400, otherwise they WOULD lose weight - but apparently they are reporting they are not. Therefore, if they are not losing weight, this means one of two things:

1 they are either eating at maintenance and so their calories in equals what their calories out amounts to

or

2 they are eating ABOVE maintenance, resulting in weight being put back on, because they are now eating at a surplus. Therefore in this sort of instance, why tell somebody to eat more? This means they will be in even more of a surplus than they already are, resulting in weight being put back on.

People make weightloss so complicated and bring so much broscience and rubbish into the equation, that in the end, many people don't know if they are turning, left, right, going forward or reversing - in effect, they get lost in all the mumbo-jumbo and technical "know-how" and on many occasions, they just, well they just give up and say "it never worked". Bloody damn shame.

Do you know that if I go onto any of the TDEE calculation sites, my own TDEE measures at 2100? Yes, indeed it does. However, I can categorically state that if I were to eat 2100 calories per day, I would not maintain, I would put ON weight - how do I know this, because I have done it, that is how.

Be careful how you figure your own daily calorie intake, success is what people want, and that is precisely what we should all aim and strive for to help them find it. However, all that is seen on the forums lately is "eat more" - this is said so blindly, it is getting ridiculous.
  • crista_b
    Options
    The people that I've seen that can explain TDEE and have tried it have had success. I weigh and record everything and use a HRM, and MFP had me at around 1450 calories/day. I was barely losing, maybe 0.5lb every couple months with measurements going nowhere. I was so frustrated that I decided to switch to TDEE -20% (1850 calories/day) because of all the success stories I heard about that method. I started losing right away, and it's continued (except when I lift - because of the water/glycogen storage, I stay stagnant on weight but my measurements still decrease).

Sure, there are people that don't understand TDEE who spout off "eat more" because they've seen others say it, and they're parrots, but the majority of the people that give this advice and give tips on how to figure it and understand how it works, know what they're talking about.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Ohferchrissake.

Don't listen to her:

38263215_3133_thumb.jpg

She is wrong. The End. I'm not going to argue with her, it takes too much energy . I'm just tired of her...make-believe world.

slide_278643_2065261_free.gif?1360082501754
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    For TDEE I set my exercise level to "little/none," and subtract 20%. This way, when I work out, I eat back my exercise calories.

I chose this route so that I didn't have to estimate my weekly activity, since it changes often due to my schedule.

That being said, my TDEE-20% is about 1680 calories.

Me too. My activity levels vary each week so this is more accurate for me. It also means I can have a few drinks on Saturday if I've 'earned' them with a big hike during the day.

Oh, and CMRiverside is right about the other advice.