BMR included in HRM calorie count?

Options
Okay, so I've bought an HRM at last. I've had it on for 8 hours. The cals out is showing at 925. I'm trying to get a true picture of how many calories I burn a day - both BMR and exercise together.

Is that telling me my BMR so far today or calories I've burnt over and above the daily BMR rate amount.

Sorry if that's a bit confusing to read.

Replies

• mbelle97
    mbelle97 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    When using the HRM for workouts it is your total burn BMR+workout. The HRM is not effective for measuring your daily activity or activities where your heart rate is not in the target zone. If you want that I would suggest the Body bug type device.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    A HRM is not intended to be used all day. They are only accurate for activities that elevate your HR. You need a Body Media, Fitbit, etc. to get you the numbers you are looking for.
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options
    I have a fitbit one. The cals it says I get from just going about my day seem a bit high. Would you say they over estimate?
  • chucks1967
    Options
    What kind is it? I know the NewBalance gives you a running tally on your BMR then when you do exercise it adds that to your total cal burn during the day. However its not very accurate for exercise. to get a true cal burn during exercise you really need to get a constant monitor. Then just add that to your calculated BMR.. At least thats how I understand it... Please someone correct me if Im wrong cause Im trying to learn all this as well.
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options
    A polar RC3 GPS
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    HRM is not intended for all day use.. Its only intended for cardio activities where your heart rate is elevated.. and it doesn't subtract BMR or anything just gives you its estimated calorie count.
  • chucks1967
    Options
    HRM is not intended for all day use.. Its only intended for cardio activities where your heart rate is elevated.. and it doesn't subtract BMR or anything just gives you its estimated calorie count.

What he said. what I do is calculate my RMR then multiply by my activity level add to that my calories expended by exercise as reported by my HRM then in order to loose 1 LB per week subtract 500 and the number you come up with is how many Kcal you need to eat for the day.. so... for example..
    my RMR is 1,902 * 1.55 = 2948.1 add exercise (say 400 for a cardio session) = 3348.1 - 500 = 2848.1 cal per day to eat in order to loose 1 LB per week... your RMR will be different but the rest of the calculations will be the same assuming you are mildly active during the day.

Factor Category Definition
    1.2 Sedentary Little or no exercise and desk
    job

1.375 Lightly Active Light exercise or sports 1-3
    days a week

1.55 Moderately Active Moderate exercise or sports
    3-5 days a week

1.725 Very Active Hard exercise or sports 6-7
    days a week

1.9 Extremely Active Hard daily exercise or sports
    and physical job
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options

Just to reiterate this point. A HRM assumes you are performing an aerobic event in the formula to determine calorie burn. It is not accurate for just wearing around or for anaerobic events.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I've bought an HRM at last. I've had it on for 8 hours. The cals out is showing at 925. I'm trying to get a true picture of how many calories I burn a day - both BMR and exercise together.

Is that telling me my BMR so far today or calories I've burnt over and above the daily BMR rate amount.

Sorry if that's a bit confusing to read.

HRMs are only meant to be used for cardio workouts, they are useless for wearing all day, "just around the house" etc. The manufacturers of HRMs will confirm this too.

I think it is a Fitbit or Bodybugg that measures daily movements.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit One seems to be really accurate. I have used it to lose weight as well as maintain, and if I follow their numbers, I stay on track with whichever plan I choose. Put some faith in it, try it for a few weeks, if it doesn't work for you, then tweak the numbers. Either way, you'll have, at the very least, a starting point to go from.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit One seems to be really accurate. I have used it to lose weight as well as maintain, and if I follow their numbers, I stay on track with whichever plan I choose. Put some faith in it, try it for a few weeks, if it doesn't work for you, then tweak the numbers. Either way, you'll have, at the very least, a starting point to go from.

A fitbit and a HRM are two completely different tools. Look at it this way...he has a hammer and you have a wrench...but you're telling him to use his hammer the same way you use your wrench. Two different tools with completely different purposes. He should not be using his hammer like a wrench to "see how it works."
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I wear my Fitbit all day and my HRM for my workouts. After your workout you can go to MFP (if your accounts are synced) or Fitbit's web site and log your start time, duration, and calories burned. This will overwrite any data your Fitbit recorded for that time span and adjust your TDEE accordingly.