water issues am I getting enough

Options
I only drink wylers light pink lemonade single packets.I place l pack in 1 pint0.9 oz of watet 3-5 times a day. I usually dont drink water by itself just a couple of sips from a water fountain while working out at the gym. Is this a way of getting enough water?. If not does this have to do with my slow weight loss?

Replies

• dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I tell my patients to check their pee if they're worried about hydration: it should be very pale yellow (and I don't mean after it's already mixed with water in the toilet bowl, so grab a cup you don't mind throwing out). If it's darker, you're dehydrated and need to drink more plain(!) water.

Also, a lot of those citrus drinks (if they have REAL ingredients like sugar and juice, and not that artificial, cancer-causing junk) act as diuretics - so they dehydrate you faster than the water will re-hydrate you.

Just something to think about. Honestly, I would just drink water. G'luck -
  • Kassidi21
    Kassidi21 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I read an article about reading half your body weight in oz of water per day... Not sure about the credibility but if that gives you any idea, everyone should be drinking a lot of water per day! Also a lot of flavored additives to drinks may dehydrate you more than anything... You need plain water! if you want some flavor in it try plain lemon juice! it also boosts your metabolism!
  • jhreed80
    jhreed80 Posts: 2
    Options
    I agree with just drinking water. In the beginning I had a hard time adjusting from Diet Coke to plain water, but now it seems like all I want is water. When I started with the Advocare 24-Day Challenge, it suggested drinking half your weight in water each day. So if you are 100 lbs, you should drink 50 ounces of water each day. I have been using this as a guideline for my water consumption.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    my rule of thumb...

your pee in the toilot should be close to clear once mixed with the toilot water. maybe a hint of yellow. if its pretty yellow, your not drinking enough water, and if its dark yellow to almost orange, your pretty dehydrated. my other rule of thumb for not overhydrating and risking water intoxication is not drink over a gallon of water per day... this is how i manage MY OWN water intake. only you can fully know your activity level, your pee color, and your body in general to know if your getting too little or too much.

i get it, tap water tastes like crap... find a good bottled water that actually has a good taste! i love sparkletts... room temp, not cold... the taste is awesome!
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I try to start my day drinking plain water....yet in all honesty it can get boring.
    I add in some strawberries or other fruit to add some flavor when it's lacking.
    Also... I will add in those packets to my water bottle, but I drink from like a double size water bottle and only drop in half of the half serving just to get enough flavors to keep me drinking it.
    You will get both sides of the story like anything...some will tell you yes it will hurt your weight loss goal some will tell you that it will not. Take the advice as it comes…
    In my experience it has not affected my health or any weight loss efforts that I have been trying to achieve.

Good luck.
  • sexxy_dee
    sexxy_dee Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I will drink more plain water, however water tends to bloat me terribly and I think it makes me gain weight.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    I try to start my day drinking plain water....yet in all honesty it can get boring.
    I add in some strawberries or other fruit to add some flavor when it's lacking.
    Also... I will add in those packets to my water bottle, but I drink from like a double size water bottle and only drop in half of the half serving just to get enough flavors to keep me drinking it.
    You will get both sides of the story like anything...some will tell you yes it will hurt your weight loss goal some will tell you that it will not. Take the advice as it comes…
    In my experience it has not affected my health or any weight loss efforts that I have been trying to achieve.

Good luck.

yeah, i do that too! i infuse my water over night, my kids love it! fill up a pitcher of water, slice up some fruit, like strawberries, or lime... maybe oranges, or lemon... a few mint leaves... the next day, the water is so good!!!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I will drink more plain water, however water tends to bloat me terribly and I think it makes me gain weight.

its only potty weight. you pee it out! water is great for weight loss, your skin, your internal organs...
  • SkepticallyFit
    Options
    Also, a lot of those citrus drinks (if they have REAL ingredients like sugar and juice, and not that artificial, cancer-causing junk) act as diuretics - so they dehydrate you faster than the water will re-hydrate you.

There is no "artificial, cancer-causing junk" in citrus drinks or really any drink regulated by the FDA. Also, there is no evidence that citrus drinks act as diuretics. So, what you're telling your patients is both false and lacking evidence.

OP: There is no reason to drink plain water to hydrate yourself. Fruit juice, milk, tea, sparkling water, crystal light/vitamin water, diet soda, pretty much anything with a high water content will hydrate you. Just avoid alcohol or obscene amounts of caffeine (more than 500mg).
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

its only potty weight. you pee it out! water is great for weight loss, your skin, your internal organs...

The more you drink, the less you will retain. If you have been dehydrated, you may feel bloated, but that is just a healthy level of hydration. Think you're holding on to water weight? Drink more.
  • karu4link2479
    Options
    I was always told that you should drink 64oz a day (8 8-oz glasses). I work an office job, and I have a water cooler right down the hallway, so it's kind of become a habit to just refill my glass as often as possible, and I drink around 100oz (4-5 20-oz glasses) or so every day. It also helps when I'm feeling snackish. If I start to feel like I want something extra, I can usually drink a glass of water and the feeling will go away.

As far as flavorings, at the beginning I wasn't too keen on drinking plain water since I had I switched from drinking lots of sodas and water seemed really boring. So to make the transition easier, I added a few drops of lemon juice to my water. It tasted kind of strange at first, but I actually grew to quite like it, as it gives the water a little bit of added flavor. It can be very refreshing! Now I mostly just drink plain water. If I have a craving for a sweet drink, like soda, I usually drink a glass of juice or a Vitamin Water Zero.

Stick with it! Plain water is so good for you, and the more you drink it, the less boring it will seem! :)