Legs - Any thoughts??

Options
LH2011
LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
I have a nice 7km route I had been running for months now normally first thing in the morning when kids go to school its a nice run I do it quite easily and legs only really ache going up the hills.

So my question is this as the kids are on holidays I am not running till 8 or 9pm at night and the whole run is a total killer my legs ache and burn the whole way around my heart rate is good averaging 150 to 165 and breathing is fine so way are my legs so sore??

I love my morning run but these evening ones are no fun at all :((

Replies

• bitterbrownie
    Options
    Usually this is because you're cardiovascular system is fit and healthy so you're heart rate and breathing is sorted :) however, you're legs may not have enough muscle.

try, once or twice a week, doing some lunges/squats/calf raises etc with some weights. Running up hills will help with this but obviously you need the muscles to get up there!!

hope this helps :)
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Assuming you aren't already, you might need a recovery day here and there.
  • LH2011
    LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys my neighbour said the same thing about leg muscle need to give that some thought I think??
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    strength training is always a good idea. as for difference between morning and evening... how is your hydration level? and what are the differences between food you eat before you go out?

new shoes or different running style can make a difference too...
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    What are you doing during the day? It seems pretty likely that if you are on your feet and running around all day, your legs won't be as recovered as they would after a night of rest.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    It sounds like you were OK with this run when you were going earlier in the day? Like the poster above, I'm thinking you could be tiring your legs prior to your run or it's the heat of summer slowing you down. Make sure you're well hydrated.