Sports bras and working out/running in public

Options

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Would they judge a man for running shirtless? Probably not. There is nothing "indecent" about running in a sports bra and if others have a problem with it, that's their issue, not yours.

Do what makes you feel comfortable :)
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Would they judge a man for running shirtless? Probably not. There is nothing "indecent" about running in a sports bra and if others have a problem with it, that's their issue, not yours.

Do what makes you feel comfortable :)

^^^ this.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I completely understand your situation. I live in a small town of 400 people. Plus I work in this town, so I know and interact with most of them too.

When I do get to that point, I will stay with a sports bra tank top. Partly because all of my customers are men, (I work in agriculture) and also because I'm sure it would make my husband uncomfortable. A tank will keep me covered, not as cool as just a sports bra, but also hopefully not have people thinking badly of me and how I dress.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    It's none of my business what other people think about me.
    [/quote]

I love that! I have to remember that one!

If you can get away with it, i would go for it! Some day you won't feel like you can pull it off and will be sorry you didn't when you had the chance.

Most of the women that i see running in the heat just wear a sports bra, i don't really think anything of it.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    As I was pushin' my 10 1/2 month old, 20+ lb baby in his joggin' stroller and joggin' yesterday, I started thinkin' about my summer runs and how ridiculously hot it was, even at 5:30 in the mornin'. Now that I have a child, and my husband works night shift and sleeps durin' the day, my runs will have to be later in the mornin' AND with my baby=hot, miserable, fully clothed mommy. But then I started thinkin' about how, once I start tonin' up, runnin' in shorts and a sports bra really isn't soundin' like a bad idea-except I live in a small country neighborhood, with families consistin' of 30 year old moms and dads, teenage boys and older (60+ year old) , conservative couples. I imagined the little ol ladies starin' out their windows and mumblin' about how indecent it is to be half-dressed out in the open, with a baby, mind you! :noway:
    Should it be socially unacceptable for me to do this? Should I just tough it out, "fully" clothed? Or should I say "If ya don't like it, don't look!" and keep on a-truckin? Anyone else have this problem? What did you do? I wouldn't wear just a sports bra until the flab is gone..:sick:

I wear a sports bra with a crop top over the top and I couldn't give a rat's **** who looks or what they think because it isn't them doing the running (otherwise they would understand) it is me and I get hot, sweaty and do not see why I should overheat just to keep somebody else happy.

I stick on my bra, my crop top and i-phone with headphones and off I go, I don't look at anybody on the way and that's the way I like it :D
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Not that you were likely looking for a man's opinion but anyway:

I would really say it depends on the sports bra, my wife has several and a couple of them I would probably drag her back inside before letting her go too far with it ;). But others cover her more than her regular bra and a T-shirt do at times so if it won't be revealing when you sweat in it, then do what makes you comfortable and don't worry about the rest of the world, they will catch up eventually ;).

Now if my wife decides to read the forums for once after seeing I responded to a sports bra article " HI HONEY ! ;) "
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I had a similar conundrum in the park a few weeks back. My shirt was rubbing my nipple raw and I was really not wanting to be the shirtless running fat man for all the spectators in the park.

Then I realized that it was really their problem, not mine.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    Just go for it! If you're comfortable (and the bra fits correctly/covers everything that should be covered), that's all that really matters. I'm personally just not comfortable with doing so, and I actually envy women who are! It's your body, your run, and entirely your decision. :flowerforyou:

ETA: I didn't know this thread was so old, but I hope you figured it out!
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    This is a huge life goal of mine! go for it :)
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I think its totally fine if you are comfortable with it.

Would I do it? Oh god never.. LOL.

Im pretty large up top and very self conscious of it. I dont like the looks I attract in regular t shirts from men haha. If I was a C or smaller I might. But not the size I am now.. for myself I would at least have a tank top on but thats my comfort level. Do what feels right for you. Thats also a great goal to be able to wear just the bra again.. Good luck.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Go for it girl! Who cares what anyone else thinks? Go kick butt! My neighborhood's pretty conservative too, and everyone always smiles and waves. Go get it!
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I had a similar conundrum in the park a few weeks back. My shirt was rubbing my nipple raw and I was really not wanting to be the shirtless running fat man for all the spectators in the park.

Then I realized that it was really their problem, not mine.

YES!
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a small town, and sometime during Junior Year cross country season, my teammates and I started running in just our sports bras. No biggie, I didn't even care when some of my classmates saw me. To each their own, who cares who sees you.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Just go for it. Don't worry about what other people would say.

I go out running almost every day and I wear a sports bra and compression shorts.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher in our small town so unfortunately no matter how awesome I look, I have to be careful with what I wear. I rock just a sports bra and shorts only in the yard for yardwork/gardening. If I didn't have the ethical concerns, I would so wear a sports bra for out on a run.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Once I forgot to put on my running shorts and went for a 6-miler in my compression underwear. Trust me, they won't be able to say anything.
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I needed one at 262 lbs in 1999, but I do not at 211.

Be yourself.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Go for it, you're doing work, you should be comfortable while you do it.

Opinions of others be darned. They're not running the miles with you, so who cares what they think?
  • granitendirt
    Options
    There have been many times when I head out for a run feeling kind of blah and inflated, entirely planning to keep the shirt on.

However, all feelings of self-consciousness evaporate like so much sweat once I hit the pavement on a 90+ degree day.

Most of the time... Yeah, the shirt comes off. And I recommend yours does, too, as long as you're comfortable with it.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the sentiments of most of the other responders, but I say: Adhere to the community standard. If the community is conservative, I wouldn't recommend doing it. You might just be asking for trouble.
    Personally, i don't think that a light-weight running shirt or a tank top contributes that much more to your discomfort when it is hot. In fact, it might keep the sun off your skin, which has advantages in itself.
    Keep in mind, however, I am kinda prudish, for myself. I never run without a shirt on, no matter how hot, and I think there are very few guys who should. Certainly, no guy with a belly. Certainly, no guy over age 30.
    Course, it is different for women. I live in California and many, many women run in just sports bras. (And, yes, contrary to my prudishness for myself, I appreciate it very much.) But, this is California. It is not the East Coast.