stupid question

Options
I am exercising more, and staying within my calorie range. My range is 1200 calories. I do eat the calories that I burn through exercise. I have not lost in 3 weeks. Should I not eat the exercise calories or should I eat more in order to loose more? Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a stupid question my friend. As a very, very general rule of thumb I'd eat a bit more yes and still eat back your exercise calories for now. Up your CV a little bit more too.
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think you should eat more (but haven't checked on your stats). 1200 isn't very much. I was eating 1200 as well, and the Nutritionists upped my intake to 1720 calories (so did MFP) and also my protein from 80g per day to 125g.

Not sure what exercising you're doing - weight lifting is a plus. I would make sure that you take measurements (today), start your program again, and check your measurements again in a month.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I am exercising more, and staying within my calorie range. My range is 1200 calories. I do eat the calories that I burn through exercise. I have not lost in 3 weeks. Should I not eat the exercise calories or should I eat more in order to loose more? Any help is appreciated.

People will need more information.
    How tall are you?
    Age?
    How long have you been eating at that goal?
    What is your ultimate goal? (ex. weight loss, fitness etc)
    Are you consistent with logging?
    How much is "exercising more"?
    Are you weighing food?
    Willing to open diary?
  • angelwings0110
    angelwings0110 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    4'11 37yrs old; eating goal atleast 5 out of 7 days for about 4 mounths. Other two days only going over about 100 calories; weight loss and fitness is my goal. I log everything. Not weighing food. I do atleast 3 days of 45 mins of cardio and weights 3 days a week also. I am 168 and goal is 150
  • janicemushalupo
    janicemushalupo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    4'11 37yrs old; eating goal atleast 5 out of 7 days for about 4 mounths. Other two days only going over about 100 calories; weight loss and fitness is my goal. I log everything. Not weighing food. I do atleast 3 days of 45 mins of cardio and weights 3 days a week also. I am 168 and goal is 150

How much water are you taking in? Water is the key when trying to lose.
    I do not suggest eating back your exercise calories, maybe only about 1/2.
    Also remember muscles weigh's more than fat. Have you measured?
    You may be losing inches.
    On another note if you don't weigh your food you may be getting in not enough or too much.
    I weigh everything!!
  • angelwings0110
    Options
    I usually drink atleast 10 glasses of water a day.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I do not eat back calories. I only drink water (although sometimes it turns to wine..?) :)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I usually drink atleast 10 glasses of water a day.

h61C4EEA0
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I do not eat back calories. I only drink water (although sometimes it turns to wine..?) :)

In Soviet Russia, Jesus turned water into vodka.
  • kristacky
    kristacky Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If weight loss is your goal, you would generally want to eat slightly less calories then you need to consume. For example: if 1200 calories is what you're suppose to eat even with exercise to maintain your weight, then you'd want to eat slightly less to lose weight (unless 1200 calories is what you're suppose to eat but you're burning some of those calories by working out). Also, keep in mind that a single pound of true fat is 3500 calories - so to burn 1lb of pure fat in a week, a person would have to eat 500 less calories (or burn them) a day! This is why those fad diets are BS lol (you might lose weight at first, but are sure to gain it back because the diets are unrealistic for long term use). So don't get too bummed if you don't lose weight fast or you hit a wall temporarily... real, healthy weight loss is slower but is also better because you're more likely to keep it off :) Hope this helps!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

Jesus? is that you? how about doing that fun little trick to my water bottle? lmao
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options

I have experienced this and it is great for weight loss.

Also, stop eating until you can see in the mirror that you have lost weight. Adding calories on top of calories that you are already eating is what fat people do to lose weight. Eating less while exercising more is what good looking people do.
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a stupid question my friend. .

you clearly don't spend much time on the forums
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Kinda hard to know about calories-I know I tried the 1200 calories for a while and I was starving...I didn't have as much to lose, so I decided to change it to 1/2 lb/week because I was hungry and not seeing any progress.

I usually try to stay under my calorie limit (even w/exercise factored in) but not too far under.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

I suggest weighing your food to ensure accuracy of your log. Also, I checked your BMR and it is 1484 so that is the minimum your body needs to function everyday. Also, since you are pretty close to your goal weight, it will take a bit longer to reach and although it may be frustrating, stay with it.

The body will not "lose" weight every week, especially if you have incorporated additional exercise. It has been 3 weeks, so keep at it and if you are accurate and honest with everything, the number will go down and if not, the inches will.....:smile:
  • dgb26
    dgb26 Posts: 77
    Options
    Eat the BMR calories and that's it.

All exercise will be what you lose at the scale.

Simple.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options

I suggest weighing your food to ensure accuracy of your log. Also, I checked your BMR and it is 1484 so that is the minimum your body needs to function everyday. Also, since you are pretty close to your goal weight, it will take a bit longer to reach and although it may be frustrating, stay with it.

The body will not "lose" weight every week, especially if you have incorporated additional exercise. It has been 3 weeks, so keep at it and if you are accurate and honest with everything, the number will go down and if not, the inches will.....:smile:
    ^^THIS^^ I got to my goal weight and started lifting, gained a full pound and half and suddenly it dropped again. Water weight, body fluctuations....there are many factors that could have you "stalling" out. I'm 5'3", 110 pounds and I lost to my goal weight by eating around 1400 - 1500 calories a day with my exercize.
  • angelwings0110
    Options
    So should I change my calorie goal on here to the 1489 and do not eat back the exercise calories? Thanks for all the advice. Lot's of intresting ideas here.