Turning 40 ughhhhh!

Options
So I turn 40 on Sunday. I know I'm supposed to be living it up, but anxiety and depression seems to be at bay! I've always been happy go lucky, nothing can knock me down, I rock kinda person, but turning 40 is ridiculously bothering me. I've taken the week off work to celebrate and it turns out I'm bored and sulking in my own self pitty. I have big plans to start my half marathon training next week but as for this day particularly I just want to do nothing. How did you survive turning the big 4-0? Thanks, Jill

Replies

• paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Mind you I'm 43 now, but I spent my 40th bday tending to my (then) 2 month old son! LOL There IS life after 40!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Happy birthday woman. :wink:
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    :) thank you!
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I just turned 41 a couple weeks ago! I'm trying not to let it get to me but....
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful. Embrace it! You got this hon!
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I have had more fun in my 40's than any other time in my life...the men are gorgeous and are much more flirtacious and I have a solid job and money to do what I want. 40's is the new 20's so embrace it!!!
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    turning 40 was easy, it was 41 that was hard for me to accept...and every one after that. LOL

This is why I have decided to be perpetually 35. Old enough to get the respect I've earned, Young enough to still get stupid and enjoy it.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Forties absolutely rock. I'm not just saying that. Seriously the best age I have ever been in EVERY way, hands down. Enjoy it! :drinker:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I turn 41 later this year...

my 40th was spent with skinny woman friends at a bar dancing it up.

But my cue to get at it...so I did...and here I am.

Embrace it, love it, use it.

I am to be "selfish" and put me first so I don't fall apart later.
  • KathryneJY
    KathryneJY Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Your 40s will be great! Mine are so far. I learned to scuba dive when I turned 40. Get out there and live like you never have before!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Um...it is just a number, truly. Don't let it get ya down. I'm more fit and healthy now than I was at 20! Oh, I'm 44 and I do NOT let it SLOW me down. Again, I run, bike, swim and do things I never did at 20...just sayin'! :wink:
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I LOVED my 30's but have to admit: I hated turning 40 and hated most of my 40s. Probably because I was dealing with teenagers, and in my mind my mom is perpetually 40 so I couldn't possibly be 40. That said, I'm just 3 years from turning 50 and I'm in great shape (getting fitter every day). I'm actually looking forward to 50 and rockin some killer shoulders and abs!
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I had trouble with 41 as well as others on the thread. You eventually get past it.

FYI, I am as 47 or as my mother says it "3 years from 50".
  • Stronger_Diva
    Stronger_Diva Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    So I turn 40 on Sunday. I know I'm supposed to be living it up, but anxiety and depression seems to be at bay! I've always been happy go lucky, nothing can knock me down, I rock kinda person, but turning 40 is ridiculously bothering me. I've taken the week off work to celebrate and it turns out I'm bored and sulking in my own self pitty. I have big plans to start my half marathon training next week but as for this day particularly I just want to do nothing. How did you survive turning the big 4-0? Thanks, Jill

Why would you do this to yourself?!? I'm turning 40 in December and this WILL be the BEST birthday I've ever had (less my #15... that truly has been and still is my best year yet). Think of all of the awesomeness about you, and how great it is to be mature and got it going on at 40. I personally can't wait, and I'm going to do a full on photo shoot and huge introduction to "womanhood". :wink:
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    My 40's were the most awesome decade of my life so far (I just turned 50 in September and they're looking great too!)! I celebrated 40 with a BIG party with my girlfriends, my kids were in their teens, my professional life soared, my marriage grew, I found peace with my past and myself.

Frankly, every year of your life is what you make it to be. You can sit and sulk about getting older or you can decide that 40 will be when you take charge of your life and make it even better than ever!
  • amyschintler
    Options
    I am a few weeks off turning 43 and I can honestly say that these years after 40 have been the best by far. I love being this age and would not go back to my 20's or 30's for all the chocolate in the world . Enjoy this age it really is the best time of life. Don't get depressed by the number embrace it and own up to it. Happy birthday :drinker:
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I will be 44 this year and I have to tell you I am in the best health/shape since early 20's. I am so comfortable now-in your 40's you get to finally live life the way you want, kids are grown, grandchildren are starting to form and life it good. Its a time to finally be able to focus a little more on you. I got a sudden zest for life around 40, started doing things I felt a little guilty doing like take whole afternoons and laying on the hammock reading a good book with a big glass of wine at my side. I started trying new things. I started running, I did a few mud runs (which I never would have tried in my 30's) ive done color runs. I went white water rafting, I kayak, I hike ,basically ive just become more physically active and im starting to enjoy life so much more-embrace it honey!
  • Stronger_Diva
    Stronger_Diva Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have had more fun in my 40's than any other time in my life...the men are gorgeous and are much more flirtacious and I have a solid job and money to do what I want. 40's is the new 20's so embrace it!!!

THIS!!
  • pastamomma
    pastamomma Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Everybody struggles with a different number. I just turned 52 and am enjoying life completely but there have been numbers that "stumped" me! I've learned that every new age offers many possibilities - go out and tackle some new challenge you've always wanted to try. You can do it. The sky is the limit and life is all about living your dreams.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Your appreciation for life really does seem to begin at 40. Get out there and do what you've always wanted to do, and don't listen to anyone that says you can't. :)
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I'm 69 so you'll excuse me if I have no sympathy for you. I felt a bit uptight about forty but once it happened, I suddenly felt "grown up" and mature and it was a wonderful feeling. I actually felt like a real adult at forty and it was a very good year. Fifty still depresses me. That's an age that hits you like a ton of bricks and stays with you.

I suggest you start being grateful that you're only forty and that you likely have many more good years ahead. You have time to make right the mistakes you may have made and get your act together. You're still young. Enjoy this decade because you'll have peri-meno to look forward to and then meno and then old age. (Unless you had all that done with surgery.)

Just enjoy being where you are. You're not old. Forty today is very young. I'll be 70 in January. If I can face that, you can face forty.