Can cutting calories really make you lose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for replying!

I don't know how to copy other member's questions---I still need to create a profile.

But I am 5'7, 166 lbs, 3 months PP and have a 3 and 2 year old (along with 3 month old). My body is a hot mess from having back to back pregnancies. My stomach muscles literally tore apart this third baby because I gave birth to a small turkey (born at 11 lbs.). I am 28 but feel like I seriously could be 60.

So, my husband and I are done with our family and I am serious about getting back to my pre-pre-pre pregnancy weight, which was 135. MFP said for me to get there and only giving myself 3 days of 60 min cardio, that I need to consume only 1200 calories a day.

I have never dieted before so this is def a new road for me.

I appreciate everyone's responses--its nice to get feedback. Sometimes I feel isolated with my self image--my husband is a runner and in amazing shape. He gets better with age and being a father, and my hips and feet get wider---how fair, right? ;)

I'm the opposite way:) My wife has lost 50 pounds since our 7 month old was born, and I gained 30 during and after her pregnancy.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    It's the only thing that's ever worked for me, but I eat quite a bit more than 1200 calories :)
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    You are almost exactly the same stats as my sister so I don't even have to run those numbers to tell you that 1500 and eating back at least half of the extra calories (or all if you want to) will yield results.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

I don't know how to copy other member's questions---I still need to create a profile.

But I am 5'7, 166 lbs, 3 months PP and have a 3 and 2 year old (along with 3 month old). My body is a hot mess from having back to back pregnancies. My stomach muscles literally tore apart this third baby because I gave birth to a small turkey (born at 11 lbs.). I am 28 but feel like I seriously could be 60.

So, my husband and I are done with our family and I am serious about getting back to my pre-pre-pre pregnancy weight, which was 135. MFP said for me to get there and only giving myself 3 days of 60 min cardio, that I need to consume only 1200 calories a day.

I appreciate everyone's responses--its nice to get feedback. Sometimes I feel isolated with my self image--my husband is a runner and in amazing shape. He gets better with age and being a father, and my hips and feet get wider---how fair, right? ;)

Most of what I was going to say has been said above:

* 1200 is very low. MFP sets most people at this level but it is rarely right. Have a look at this thread and consider upping your calories a litte: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/963088-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

* What about asking your husband if he will help you take up running? A very fast, cheap, easy way to get your fitness up.

* You say that the amount you are eating looks like a lot of food - that's because you are thinking about what you are eating and making good choices. A whole cucumber looks massive but has the fraction of calories in a chocolate bar.

Oh, and welcome on board! :flowerforyou:
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    Agree with the above...kick those calories up a notch or your body will literally hold on to every calorie you can give it and store it because it thinks you're starving!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Hello all---I just signed up to MFP yesterday and am counting calories and measuring what I eat/make etc. I am to only consume 1200 calories a day and yesterday, after logging all my meals, it visually looks like I am eating a lot. I am eating healthy and clean--nothing processed, whole grain, and majority fresh fruits and veggies. MFP said that if I were to eat like this for the next five weeks I would drop 10 lbs (with only min. cardio).

I just can't seem to believe this. For those who have been active with MFP for quite some time, did you really see weight loss just by tracking your calorie intake?

I had a baby 3 months ago and have two little ones at home already--working out is a hit or miss depending on their divalicious antics that day. I really am serious about getting healthy and know my exercising won't be as strict as my eating--therefore, I want to take this calorie counting seriously.

Thanks!! :)

Strollers + bikes/scooters= power walk
    That's how I did it when my kids were babies.
    Eat less than you burn and you will lose weight.
    You're young, you only have 30 lbs. to lose.
    You can definitely do this.
    Start with the weight loss from walking and as you get closer to your goal weight, see how you feel about your body shape and possibly look into strength training at that point.
    Don't want to overwhelm you!
    Welcome and good luck :smile:
  • Fishshtick
    Fishshtick Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Numerous scientific studies show that dieting is much more effective than exercise for weight loss. On average dieting results in twice amount of pounds lost per time period than exercise. Indeed, it is very hard for most people to lose a substantial amount of weight from exercise alone, in large part because of compensatory effects on hunger and a tendency to increase intake. However, I can't stress enough that exercise is key to good health, and people nearing their weight loss targets often find it necessary to add some exercise to get the final results they desire.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Hello all---I just signed up to MFP yesterday

If by yesterday you mean February 2012.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    <<<<Throwback Thursday pic...this was me after my first 10 lbs lost...I'm now down to 180ish with counting calories. Considering calories are a unit of energy and excess energy (calories) beyond what is necessary to operate your machine (body) get stored as fat...of course counting calories works.

I lost my first 20 Lbs before ever lifting a finger in exercise. MFP gives you a calorie goal that includes a deficit from maintenance calories that is net of any exercise...meaning no exercise is required and MFP doesn't believe you're going to do the exercise you say you're going to do. I just ate to may goal and lost weight.

I started working out because I wanted to eat more initially...yes...you're supposed to eat back exercise calories with MFP...as I noted before, your calorie goal already has a substantial deficit built in that is net of exercise. Also, exercise is an extremely inefficient way of incorporating a calorie deficit...it's much more efficient to incorporate it into your diet plan...just as MFP does for you.
  • slynn422
    slynn422 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can say without a doubt YES! I started on MFP about a month and a half ago. After, I saw a friend of mine for the first time in several months and she had lost 63lbs at that time just doing MFP and working out. We had tried several things together before and nothing seemed to work. WW worked the first time I tried it but was to much hassle, expensive and I didn't see the results as fast as I wanted so I quit, I gained every pound back and then some. Since I have been using MFP I have lost 13 pounds. I was already working out at the YMCA, before starting MFP but have increased it from 2 day a week to 4 now. I love MFP, its convenient and easy.
    I know with children its hard to find time to work out, but finding things you can do to include them can make it fun for both you and them. It also teaches them from a young age that being fit and healthy is a important. You are setting a great example. Check out your local YMCA or gym, you might find out that there are programs that you can get them involved in or even a child care area for them to stay in while you work out
    KEEP IT UP AND YOU WILL SEE RESULTS!
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP I wasn't working out. I mostly walked if anything, but I had sprained my ankle pretty badly. Either way I got the proof I needed that diet is the most important factor. I dropped weight right away and on a consistent basis.
  • Anens630
    Anens630 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I joined in February of 2012 but never logged calories...I'm not a troll. Trust me. I thought in Feb. 12 that I could lose my baby weight from baby number 2, but I was lazy and 5 months later, I got pregnant with baby number 3. I am on a mommy board and see trolls all the time. I have one toddler currently trying to color on her bigger sister so I have to go--but sorry if you were looking for some excitement on a health and fitness board--not gonna be from me!
  • Anens630
    Anens630 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am hypoglycemic and didn't eat enough protein today. While driving kids to chiropractor my sugars dropped drastically and i started feeling awful. I had to grab 5 peanut M&Ms. I logged this in and it said its 55 calories!! My plum yesterday was about the same amount of calories. i can't believe that. I felt great after eating the plum, and after eating the candy my sugars stabilized enough to get home and eat my lunch (plain chicken breast--blah).

Also, no, not BF--so all clear!

I worked out 3x/week and ate healthy (but didn't count calories) in June--and i didn't lose a single pound!!! I don't understand. Now I'm angry at exercising because I think it made me bigger...my friends tell me it could have built muscle instead of losing weight but I don't want to build muscle atm--I want to look slimmer first. I'm going at this all wrong.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    <<<<Throwback Thursday pic...this was me after my first 10 lbs lost...I'm now down to 180ish with counting calories. Considering calories are a unit of energy and excess energy (calories) beyond what is necessary to operate your machine (body) get stored as fat...of course counting calories works.

I lost my first 20 Lbs before ever lifting a finger in exercise. MFP gives you a calorie goal that includes a deficit from maintenance calories that is net of any exercise...meaning no exercise is required and MFP doesn't believe you're going to do the exercise you say you're going to do. I just ate to may goal and lost weight.

I started working out because I wanted to eat more initially...yes...you're supposed to eat back exercise calories with MFP...as I noted before, your calorie goal already has a substantial deficit built in that is net of exercise. Also, exercise is an extremely inefficient way of incorporating a calorie deficit...it's much more efficient to incorporate it into your diet plan...just as MFP does for you.

No way is that you wolfman! :noway:

Wow!! :flowerforyou:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I bet you said "I want to lose 2 pounds per week" right? That is probably too aggressive a cut for you, try setting it for 1 pound a week and see if it gives you more to eat. And yes, also eat back exercise calories.
  • awall1984
    awall1984 Posts: 42
    Options
    I questioned this also. My first 9 days, I lost 6lbs. I still cant believe the progress Im making and I started June 27th! It works as long as you stick to it.

So far, so good! :)
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Cutting calories is the only thing that can make you lose weight ('real' weight that is, not water weight).
  • Cherry_T
    Cherry_T Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Obviously it works. You have to have all your other nutrients in check or there could be problems and cutting too hard can cause your metabolism to stall, but it works!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    ...I. Err.

I mean that's how it works. More calories than your body needs = weight gain. Slightly less than your body needs = Weight loss.

Calories in<Calories out.

This.

But make sure you are getting enough calories - especially if you are breastfeeding.