Just Curious

Have some people began treating you differently since you lost weight? Do some make you feel bad or act like you're not eating? Just asking because some people who used to talk to me all the time don't talk to me as much since I lost weight. Some people ask me am I eating (which I feel like I do all day long) or when am I going to stop losing weight. I thought friends were supposed to support you - especially in something that's good for you.

Replies

• Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    I would say don't worry about those people because if they can't support you and be happy for you then they are not friendship material.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Just about everyone I know has had some sort of "moment" at some point in my weightloss journey. Whether it was the kitchen full of people telling me I was wasting away (at 170 pounds) or the very close friend who got drunk and begged me to stop before I got smaller than her, I think they happen to all of us.

In their own way, I think some of them mean well. They know dieting is hard work or have failed at it in the past and want you to feel okay if you fail. Some of them can't reconcile your new size with the old one and they really do think you're wasting away. And some of them are jerks.

A year after losing the bulk of my weight it has settled down. Give people a chance to get used to you again and weed out the jerks as best you can.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    It's a hard pill to swallow when someone is succeeding in something you only wish you could achieve. I for one am taking a VERY long time in losing this stupid weight, and my former roommate did it in no time. She was bigger then me, and now she's 160lbs. It takes all I have to be supportive and loving. She looks great, however there are things I want to do WAY different. I'm not going to tell her that, I'm just going to tell her she looks great and I'm proud of her, while on the inside I'm crying. It just takes a strong person to swallow the jealousy and support another person in their weight loss, it just means she's in my heart.
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Most of the comments I hear are positive. "You look great." or "You look younger." But occasionally I'll hear, "Don't lose any more weight, your face is looking gaunt." or "How much more are you going to lose?" followed by a frown, usually from a fat person.

Don't sweat it. Just smile and say, "Thanks for noticing."
  • DDCNY
    DDCNY Posts: 64 Member
    Don't sweat it. Just smile and say, "Thanks for noticing."

I like this a lot!