1200 calories per day and foods that keep you feeling full

Options
I'm looking for others who eat 1200 calories a day and have a public food diary. I'm struggling to stay at 1200 and feel like I am hardly eating anything all day and constantly feel hungry! I'm hoping if I see what others are eating at this level, it will help give me some new ideas of what to eat and help keep me full.

Also, if anyone can suggest their favorite foods that are low calorie and help keep you satisfied for hours, please share!!!

Replies

• blueskiesgreen
    Options
    Green Giant makes a great cauliflower & cheese sauce frozen dish that I often use as my lunch. A large portion is 1.5 cups and 150 calories. The cheese sauce is what makes it seem indulgent. I typically eat a late afternoon snack as well, but this is a dish that keeps me full for several hours.
  • RetroSnowflake
    Options
    My favourite snacks are apples, bananas and strawberries but if you're wanting a sweet treat, I eat mini Jammie dodgers. They come in a pack of four and it's only 88 calories altogether (:
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i love my grilled cheese sandwiches! natures own wheat bread 40 (40 cals per slice) 1 slice American cheese (70 cals) and I cant believe its not butter SPRAY (0 cals)

150 calories total!

great for a snack, or make 2 with a small bowl of low cal tomatoe soup for a meal!
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to stay at 1200 and feel like I am hardly eating anything all day and constantly feel hungry! I'm hoping if I see what others are eating at this level, it will help give me some new ideas of what to eat and help keep me full.

Also, if anyone can suggest their favorite foods that are low calorie and help keep you satisfied for hours, please share!!!

If you trust yourself to eat more on days that you are hungry, then do so--assuming diet is fairly clean and you are eating because your body is hungry.

Given this, here are things that might help. Drink 8- 12 glasses plain water daily. Incorporate more fibrous food with meals; perhaps a daily fiber goal could be 20-30g. A little more fat and protein in your diet could be needed. If you snack, make them small, such as a few walnut halves or 1/2 apple or 1c raspberries or 1/c c plain yogurt or a handful of raw green beans w 2Tb of hummus or half of cucumber sliced w 1/4c guacamole or half thin slice of whole grain toast w butter and cinnamon. Then top your snack off with a cup of tea or miso broth. The idea is to take the edge off of hunger. Avoid super sweet or salty foods at snack time, because it can be more difficult to moderate quantity. Sweet and salt tend to turn-on an appetite. Incorporate a food you crave into one of your meals.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more...figure out TDEE and BMR, your body needs fuel!! http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Up your green veggie content, as they're practically zero cals (watch what you put on them or budget cals accordingly). Consider every grain being whole grain - rice, pasta, and I personally find quinoa very filling and satisfying. Hydrate!

1200 is very low and isn't the right answer for everyone. You may have more luck overall if you're getting good quality food and still feeling hungry. If you're hydrated and still hungry, then you need to eat more.
  • x3samanthasue
    x3samanthasue Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You can check out mine. I'm at 1440, but there's a lot of days I'm just at 1200. Even though I'd say 50-60% of the time I eat 1200 or less calories a day, overall I've chosen not to ever set my goal that low. 1400 works better for me because I get the added flexibility and don't push myself to eat the 1400 if I don't want to.

Egg scrambles are great as well as peanut butter! Eating slower and taking time to prepare/appreciate/take in the food you're eating are also tricks people use to feel satisfied after a meal. I also do things like eating lunch meat plain (buying good thick-cut stuff from the deli is best for this) because the bread doesn't really do much for me and it makes me want mayo. I don't add rice to meals that would usually call for being served over rice and instead sub veggies. Anything you can do to cut out "filler" foods helps me a lot.
  • shirleycatt
    shirleycatt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am at 1200 calories too! I am trying a little thing called "carb cycling"! It is from the book that Chris Powell (Extreme Makeover) wrote. It is very interesting! I am kind of combining MFP and the program. I am doing 1200 low carb and 1500 high carb.. (alternating days) It has been pretty easy so far. I always know that I have a high carb day right around the corner! I have lost about 11 lbs so far! I am also only weighing myself every two weeks. I am a bit compulsive with the scale!!

My favorite snack: Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt and sliced stawberries (with Stevia). (120+20) It is yummy and a full cup of yogurt goes a long way!!! I am trying for 300 calorie meals and 150 calorie snack. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    it took me a few weeks BUT--I have gotten there with a few tricks. Walmart has these GREAT wraps in their deli dept. Josephs flax and oat bran wraps. an entire sheet is 100 cals only and half is MORE than enough to use for a sammie. I also cut them into bite size pieces spray with olive oil and some celery salt and toast them on both sides in the oven. F+GREAT snack for the munchies and a movie treat. I also consume ALOT of sugar free jello with some whipped crème--only use the crème in the can NOT COOL WHIP--too much fat. Progresso lite soups are a fav also. And cauliflower--there are sooooo many wonderful recipes for it and it is also very tasty as rice, mash like potatoes, etc....
  • t4eaed
    t4eaed Posts: 25
    Options
    thanks everyone for all the great suggestions!
  • nhmommy
    nhmommy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm learning to recognize my hunger cues and satiated feelings. My goal to lose is 1200 per day but I always shoot to go under and usually do. I have been following a plant-based diet (beans and greens!!) for weeks now and I feel full/not hungry all day long. Very different than I used to feel when I was eating whole foods but lots of dairy and meats.

I have learned a lot about how my emotions and mental habits effect my eating choices. When I decided to skip snacking and increase my water, my feeling of hunger and full changed as well.

All of these changes have finally gotten my weight loss to happen after several years of struggling to make the scale budge.
  • AnaCoffee
    AnaCoffee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have a meal that I eat almost daily and it really keeps me full. The granola is from A&P, but I'm sure whatever you'd like would be fine. I also vary the yogurt flavors. Target had them on sale for $1.25 last month, so I bought a ton. Normally they're $1.85 in my part of the US. :smile: Copying from my food diary. HTH and sorry if it doesn't.

Siggi's - Icelandic Style Skyr Strained Non-Fat Yogurt - Vanilla, 150 g
    Target Market Pantry - Mixed Berries Frozen, 1 cup (140g)
    the Food Emporium Trading Company - Granola (Apples, Blueberries, Almonds, Pecans, & 4 Seeds), 1/3 cup (30 g)

Calories: 300 Carbs: 47 Fat: 5 Protein: 17 Sodium: 105 Sugar: 27
  • SandraNancy
    SandraNancy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm actually trying to eat more calories than 1200, but I've been eating higher protein and fat, with less than 70g of carbs per day. I was surprised to find that I rarely hit the 1900 calories I'm allowed because the high protein foods really keep you full.

I snack on tuna a lot. A can is about 160 calories, depending on brand (go for packed in water).

I grill a chicken breast with rosemary, cut it into strips-- tasty finger food for snacks. Depending on the size, about 160 calories.

Eggs are only 70 calories each, and full of healthy things. I eat them every day for breakfast, and am rarely hungry before lunchtime.

I think if you look for foods that are high in healthy fats/proteins, you'll be surprised at how full you can feel despite a lower calorie intake. I used to eat a bagel every morning, which has 300+ calories, and I'd be hungry in a few hours. With scrambled eggs and some berries, sometimes bacon, my breakfast is still only about 300-350 calories, but I'm not hungry until lunch. Sometimes it's not so much the calories in the food, but the food itself that makes the difference.

Not everyone is the same, but I've found this works for me. Hope it helps!
  • shortmomma81
    Options
    I have this method....300 breakfast, 400 lunch, 500 dinner. Whatever I burn working out in the morning are my snacks. Here's my favorite dinner-keep me full recipe; Have you seen those tortilla oven shells bowls, as seen on tv, comes in a box, pack of four and they sell at Bed Bath and Beyond for $10 or at any Walmart? You toast them in the oven for seven minutes. Well, I use four corn tortillas Walmart brand, which equals 180 calories. 2/3 cup of brown rice 150 caloies, 1/2 cup of pinto beans 100 calories. Add your favorite spices, I like onion and garlic powder. Mix and pour evenly into four tortilla bowls. Top with cilantro and tomato. Add salsa if you'd like. Tastes really good and keeps you full.
  • gabcaprarelli
    Options
    OMG! im on the 1200 calorie diet a day, too...talk about rough! Drink more water when you initially feel hungry again, just to make sure youre not thirsty, snacks on hand that are full of protein and fiber will help out a lot- i know it sounds obvious, but for me, even snacks like carrots and hummus or a small chia seed shake or something can help to curb cravings...even a bite of super rich, dark chocolate might help by satisfying sweet cravings. good luck!1200 cals is not easy, but WE got this! :)
  • pkteen
    pkteen Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200/day as well. Add me if you like. Although because it's Ramadan for me right now so i'm eating even lesser than that.
  • neintical
    neintical Posts: 20
    Options
    I am in 1200 as well. I found it very hard to do at first. It takes time. If you feel hungry drink water, I do that to drown the hunger. If no matter what, you are still hungry. Take one bite out of a snack (like a few grapes, broccoli, or a bite out of a protein snack it will not hurt you. just something. Then as days go, your body will get used to it. Don't refuse it if you are actually hungry or else you will feel miserable and fall back.) Just takes a little self discipline :)
  • aidrenner
    aidrenner Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    hey at first it was hard but you find your favorites I like tuna, greek yogurt, apples, bananas etc... I'll send you a request good luck!
  • SWEETJENNIE45
    SWEETJENNIE45 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I stick to a 1200 cal a day and am almost never hungry. I eat a lot of hummus and black bean hummus with salsa on top- very filling for lunch if you put it on a thomas's bagel thin or quaker white cheddar rice cake- only about 200 cal and is yummy!
  • ohpretty
    ohpretty Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Green Giant makes a great cauliflower & cheese sauce frozen dish that I often use as my lunch. A large portion is 1.5 cups and 150 calories. The cheese sauce is what makes it seem indulgent. I typically eat a late afternoon snack as well, but this is a dish that keeps me full for several hours.
    Just be very aware of the sodium levels on those. I used to eat those as well but then I realized they were a big part of a lot of bloating.