Calories burned carrying a 40 lb child in Moby carrier?

Options
So I carry my son who is 40+ pounds in the Moby. I have searched everywhere for calories burned and have not found it. Adding his weight to mine to see how many calories burned and it seemed very off.

I was walking up a hill, decent but not steep incline, with my 40 pound son on the front of me and at least a 30 pound backpack with my kids things in them. I walked about a mile or so, in 20 minutes, with all the weight. I can normally stroll my stroller with my 40 pound daughter and son in it with bags in it without feeling they way I did when I was done today so I have to had burned more calories than just carrying a small baby or pushing a stroller. I was dripping in sweat like I just had pushed myself to my last limit and I am so tired now. I do regularly walk but wowza, this took it out of me. :yawn:

Anyways, how do I count those calories? How much is burned carrying a 40 pound child in a front carrier?
Please help, and hope this helps someone else too, and thanks. Have a beautiful Wednesday. :happy:

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I would just think of them as bonus burned. I get ya. I use to push my twins in a big double stroller and had my three year old strapped to my back. Exhausting!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    There's walking carrying a 15lb child.....backpacking maybe?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    No idea. I carry my 40lb daughter around on my shoulders all the time. Never considered trying to count the calories.
  • kwennerholm
    kwennerholm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Obviously this won't help you now, but I would suggest a heart rate monitor for the future. Carrying that extra weight while walking will boost you heart rate and burn more calories, but to accurately track it, a HRM is the way to go.
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    http://www.nutristrategy.com/caloriesburnedwalking.htm

According to this site for an hour of stair climbing with an infant your looking at 277. So quarter that and you have your estimate!
  • jcpropheticsoul
    Options
    I normally don't either- but dude this was a huge workout.
  • jcpropheticsoul
    Options
    There's walking carrying a 15lb child.....backpacking maybe?

Brilliant! Thank you. I will do that. This child is more than 40lbs so definitely a hefty workout. So I chose backpacking- thank you!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Was he kicking and screaming? Because I bet you burned a lot more calories if he was. :bigsmile: But I agree, backpacking.