How did you choose your goal weight?

Options
I have always been a bit bigger, a bit curvy...I think I still want that, I don't want to be really thin. How do you choose a good goal weight (obviously other than choosing a healthy range for your body)?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Choose a weight. Get to or near that weight. See how you look and feel. Adjust goal weight.
  • sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Here is what I do. I pick the body fat percentage I want to achieve. In my case, it's 12%. Right now I'm 23% @ 213 Lbs. So, if I subtract 23% from my current weight, I have 164 Lbs of lean muscle mass. (This would be me with 0% fat, which is not possible.) I then add 12% to 164 to get 184 Lbs. That is my target at this time.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    What they said. ;-)

But remember that if you get to a low enough body fat percentage, then your weight could actually go up a bit w/muscle. When I'm at 15.5% I weigh about 118, but when I dropped to 14.5% I actually went up 6 lbs w/muscle to 124, but looked slimmer.
  • lalaland82
    lalaland82 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Choose a weight. Get to or near that weight. See how you look and feel. Adjust goal weight.

This - I picked my sisters weight as I think she looks fab, but I'm not happy with my figure as I'm curvier then she is (hourglass figure) so am re-evaluating. You won't know how you will look or feel at a certain weight until you get there :smile:
  • CoffeeLush
    CoffeeLush Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I picked a weight that I was most happiest at. Granted, it is still considered overweight for my height/BMI, but I looked and felt great at that weight before. When I get there, I can decide then if I need to lose more...
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    It's going to be about how I look and feel, not a number, but probably not less than 160 lbs. or I'll have to replace most of my clothes, which I cannot afford to do, nor would I want to.
  • Kristine7813
    Options
    This :)
    I weighed 135 after I had my first daughter and thought that was a nice, healthy - curvy, weight :)
    I am almost there and I like it!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    My weight is just an estimate of how I look. I focus as much on BF% and the mirror as I do the scale.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I chose a weight I had been at years ago, when i was at my lowest adult weight. I ended up passing that and I'm now in maintenance, 10lbs below what my goal weight was :)
  • 220Dani
    220Dani Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Picked a celebrity who had the same body shape as me and decided I could reach that goal.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It chose me. I've always been overweight/obese since high school, so I never really had any idea of what my body could look like. I had a goal set for 15 pounds less than the normal/overweight line for my height (150 pounds). But at my lowest weight last summer I couldn't get below 158. Finally I decided that I was happier maintaining at 160 than I would be trying to lose 8 measly pounds.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    A goal BF% is far more appropriate than an arbitrary scale value that is indicative of numerous things...i.e. fat, MUSCLE, water, waste, bone density, etc.
  • deb_137
    deb_137 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am right there with those stating how you look in the mirror. I selected the weight I was at 5 years ago. 3 years prior to that I had lost over 40 pounds and actually got below my current goal. However, my body settled at 137 and stayed there without me killing myself. At that weight, I was not wearing the same pants size as I was in my 20's but still looked darned good in them....at least according to hubby :wink:
  • Gmtribble90
    Gmtribble90 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I went with the weight I was when I first lost weight and felt good, minus 10 lbs. I saw how much better I looked and noticed how great I felt, but could've stood to lost that little bit extra to feel even better :)
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I picked a weight range that I have been at before and felt very comfortable at. Just so happens it was my pre-pregnancy (x5) weight when I was 18 lol. But it's a good range for my height.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Well I was happiest at 135 lbs. I weighed 135 lbs until 2010 or so when I started to put on weight. It's also literally my ideal weight for my height.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    A goal BF% is far more appropriate than an arbitrary scale value that is indicative of numerous things...i.e. fat, MUSCLE, water, waste, bone density, etc.

Body fat is a great objective. It's also much more difficult to assess than weight. And losing weight while working out will lead to mainly fat reduction for people with significant fat, so weight ends up being a decent proxy in most cases.
  • zinatara
    zinatara Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    At the moment my goal weight is a few pounds under what I will weigh when I reach normal BMI. I think I will be content if I can get down to normal BMI, but I won't know before I'm there. And I'm free to change my goal at any point.

I don't think I'll ever again be at the weight I was in my early twenties when I had a BMI of 18.7. My body has changed after 3 births and I think it would be really hard to maintain.
  • RetroSnowflake
    Options
    I looked on the BMI chart and choose a healthy weight according to my height. If I need to adjust it nearer the time, then I can do.
  • Jett_05
    Jett_05 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm with the "I-feel-the-best-at-this-weight" club.