trouble meeting protein goal....ugh

Options
mkakids
mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
So my daily goal is 180g of protein (I'm 189lbs). I lift heavy 4 days a week (SL 5x5 plus accessory lifts). Yesterday I only got to 132, even with 3 scoops of designer whey protein powder (mixed in whole milk). That's the only brand I have tried so far that I can stand the taste of (and I have to add stevia to it to drink it). It has 18g protein per scoop so 54g of my 132g came from that alone!

I usually eat 2 to 3 eggs for breakfast (fried or hard boiled....but if hard boiled I don't eat the yolk- can't stand the texture!), something with protein for lunch (yesterday it was a chicken sandwhich) and some protein with dinner (yest was 4oz chicken breast). I only drink milk when I mix it with protein powder. I do eat yogurt\cottage cheese but with only ~ 8 to 12 g protein per serving I would have to eat a lot of it and the calories from dairy really adds up (I only eat raw full fat versions...I won't do pasturized, light or fat free dairy).

I could very VERY easily become a vegan. I have to choke down the meat\eggs I currently eat "because they are good for me", lol. Beyond a really good $35 steak occasionally, I could swear off animal products for the rest of my life and never look back.

What can I eat to up my protein?! Any good ways to disguise meat\eggs? Scrambles are gross....those are definitely out. But maybe casserole type dishes or breakfast "hash" type things? I'm at a loss.

Replies

• JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I love Kashi Honey Almond Flax cereal, 1 cup has 9g of protein and fiber! I also loooove, love greek yogurt, 3/4 cup of the plain variety has 18g of protein . If you love whipped cream like I do then you should deffinetly make protein fluff. There is a group on here with a lot of protein fluff recipes but the basic one is: 200g grams mashed mostly frozen fruit (berries work great!)+ 1/2c almond milk+ 40g whey protein powder mixed with 1/2 a teaspoon xanthum gum or 40g of casein. Mix in a kitchen aid mixer with whisk attachment for about 5-10 minutes and poof! Protein fluff. Protein doesn't have to be meat or a dinner thing so you should try these http://www.drsarasolomon.com/gaspari-protein-donuts/ I make them all the time except for the icing ! yumm also good protein sources, shakes, beans,lentils, peanut butter, oats, quinoa.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty high protein goal. If it's uncomfortable to meet that objective, maybe just knock it down a bit to a level you can accomplish.
  • skinnybunny_x
    Options
    Some non dairy milks have more protein than dairy milk ... that could help.
  • mkakids
    Options
    That's a pretty high protein goal. If it's uncomfortable to meet that objective, maybe just knock it down a bit to a level you can accomplish.

Actually, its on the lower end for someone who lifts heavy 4xs a week.
  • mkakids
    Options
    Some non dairy milks have more protein than dairy milk ... that could help.

I didnt know that, I will check it out!
  • mkakids
    Options
    I love Kashi Honey Almond Flax cereal, 1 cup has 9g of protein and fiber! I also loooove, love greek yogurt, 3/4 cup of the plain variety has 18g of protein . If you love whipped cream like I do then you should deffinetly make protein fluff. There is a group on here with a lot of protein fluff recipes but the basic one is: 200g grams mashed mostly frozen fruit (berries work great!)+ 1/2c almond milk+ 40g whey protein powder mixed with 1/2 a teaspoon xanthum gum or 40g of casein. Mix in a kitchen aid mixer with whisk attachment for about 5-10 minutes and poof! Protein fluff. Protein doesn't have to be meat or a dinner thing so you should try these http://www.drsarasolomon.com/gaspari-protein-donuts/ I make them all the time except for the icing ! yumm also good protein sources, shakes, beans,lentils, peanut butter, oats, quinoa.

Thanks! I will check it out!
  • dragoness07
    dragoness07 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi I eat mostly Vegan,
    and I get most of my proteins from unsweetened Soya milk, chickpeas, lentils, beans, quinoa etc. I am kind of protein restricted and eat mostly Vegan due to some health issues and I find it sometimes difficult NOT to get over my protein target. However, with the plant options you may find that you can fit some more variety into your diet.
    However, 180 g sounds very much. I thought it is with heavy lifters around 1.2 g protein per KG and not LB. But maybe I am wrong.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is packed with protein. I like to mix plain Fage with cinnamon and dip apple slices in it.
  • mkakids
    Options
    However, 180 g sounds very much. I thought it is with heavy lifters around 1.2 g protein per KG and not LB. But maybe I am wrong.

According to this strong lifts article a person needs 1g per POUND if they train hard. I aim for that, but realize I will rarely meet it.

http://stronglifts.com/protein-daily-needs-myths-best-sources-protein/
  • kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Here is a great protein guide posted in the Eat, Train, Progress group by Sarauk2sf. Hope it helps :drinker:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • dmspenc
    dmspenc Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is my snack of choice.
  • emarose90
    emarose90 Posts: 52
    Options
    I second k9education - I currently have Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard in rich chocolate flavour - I only have it with water and it tastes fine, the consistancy is also very good!
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    MFP set my protein goal to 60, I oftern go above that.
  • Errrica91
    Errrica91 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Soy meat is definitely one of the best ways to reach your protein goal... It's super high in protein, contains no fat...:drinker:

Another of my favorite is tuna...and it has quite a good taste not like chicken or sth since you can't stand that...:smile:
  • emmasmellslots
    Options
    Non meat products are a very good source of protein and are low calorie as well, for example Linda Mccartney sausages have 101 calories and 10.35g of protein in just one sausage. I am a vegetarian myself and I have no problem in racking up high levels of protein. Beans and lentils are also a good source as are other meat substitutes eg tofu, edamame, tempeh. Simple changes to whole grain also helps but quinoa has the highest protein level out of them. White meats also holds a lot more protein than red meats do :)
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    How about tuna??
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A lot of people here would agree that 1 gram per pound of bodyweight being the minimum needed if you're training hard is overkill, especially if you don't have a physically demanding job outside of training. I've been lifting consistently for 2-3 months and have definitely made strength gains despite barely eating 0.7 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    So my daily goal is 180g of protein (I'm 189lbs). I lift heavy 4 days a week (SL 5x5 plus accessory lifts). Yesterday I only got to 132, even with 3 scoops of designer whey protein powder (mixed in whole milk). That's the only brand I have tried so far that I can stand the taste of (and I have to add stevia to it to drink it). It has 18g protein per scoop so 54g of my 132g came from that alone!

I usually eat 2 to 3 eggs for breakfast (fried or hard boiled....but if hard boiled I don't eat the yolk- can't stand the texture!), something with protein for lunch (yesterday it was a chicken sandwhich) and some protein with dinner (yest was 4oz chicken breast). I only drink milk when I mix it with protein powder. I do eat yogurt\cottage cheese but with only ~ 8 to 12 g protein per serving I would have to eat a lot of it and the calories from dairy really adds up (I only eat raw full fat versions...I won't do pasturized, light or fat free dairy).

I could very VERY easily become a vegan. I have to choke down the meat\eggs I currently eat "because they are good for me", lol. Beyond a really good $35 steak occasionally, I could swear off animal products for the rest of my life and never look back.

What can I eat to up my protein?! Any good ways to disguise meat\eggs? Scrambles are gross....those are definitely out. But maybe casserole type dishes or breakfast "hash" type things? I'm at a loss.

Can add eggs to your rice when cooking it. Also you can just eat more meat... 4 oz of chicken is a small chicken breast are you actually weighing and measuring everything?

Have another egg or 2... wont kill you. Kind of a long post for a simple solution eat more or have another shake to reach your goal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    NECRO THREAD PEOPLE.

Gosh. MFP needs to just lock threads that are over 2 months old or something.