I'm curious, how many of you stop eating by a certain time?

Options
salleymo
salleymo Posts: 50 Member
I was wondering how many of you stop eating at a certain time, even if you haven't eaten anything that evening? I've heard things about not eating after 7, but it's hard to think that I could do this. Last night I decided to try it and even though I ate dinner, I began feeling hungry, so I drank water, which didn't do anything. I decided to go on to sleep because I feared I would go rummaging through the fridge and pantry and mess up my calories for the day. Is it really okay not to eat even when you feel a little hungry (as long as you have eaten throughout the day of course)?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't know what time it is. the only reason not to eat to laye is if you like to let your food go down
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    RAGGEDYANN1970 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i stop eating when i fall asleep. :laugh:

starting I.F. so my eating habits will change soon, but typically we eat dinner at 6:00 p.m. and i don't eat again until morning. it doesn't have to do with "diet" -it has to do with not wanting to clean the kitchen again! as my mom used to say after dinner, "KITCHEN CLOSED!"
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If your main behavioural problem with food is boredom snacking at night, or if you find you can't sleep after eating too late and you're suffering from being chronically tired, then yes, stop eating by a certain time until the behaviour rectifies itself/you're sleeping better again.

if you're genuinely hungry, after making sure you're properly hydrated through the day (a glass of water isn't going to solve that problem), then eat. As for any other time of day, make sure it's good quality food, and keep it light so you don't impact your sleep.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how many of you stop eating at a certain time, even if you haven't eaten anything that evening? I've heard things about not eating after 7, but it's hard to think that I could do this. Last night I decided to try it and even though I ate dinner, I began feeling hungry, so I drank water, which didn't do anything. I decided to go on to sleep because I feared I would go rummaging through the fridge and pantry and mess up my calories for the day. Is it really okay not to eat even when you feel a little hungry (as long as you have eaten throughout the day of course)?

It's all bull****. You can eat whenever you want as long as you're withing your calorie range. I eat right before bed usually a bowl of cereal or a protein shake or a cup of milk.
  • kuuhristin
    kuuhristin Posts: 24
    Options
    I personally don't think if you stop eating at 8pm it's going to help you lose weight. especially when everyone lives differently. I work until 11pm so I don't eat my dinner until about 8pm. I just try to wait 2 hours or so before going to sleep if I've eaten a meal, snacks don't count. This is also mostly because I have the worst acid reflux.
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i stop eating when i fall asleep. :laugh:

starting I.F. so my eating habits will change soon, but typically we eat dinner at 6:00 p.m. and i don't eat again until morning. it doesn't have to do with "diet" -it has to do with not wanting to clean the kitchen again! as my mom used to say after dinner, "KITCHEN CLOSED!"

bahahhaha

sounds like my mom

i do stop eating at a certain point and try to only have fluids, helps me sleep better, try to eat all my food before 7
  • g33kmommy
    g33kmommy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I stop eating at 8pm and only drink water after that. :)

Edit: This is mainly because late at night I only want junk food, so I eat nothing at all.
  • jennalee85251
    Options
    7 is my cut off, or at least that is what i try to stick by :)
  • ScousePatriot
    Options
    I work 1pm until 9pm and don't usually arrive home until 10:30pm so I tend to have something to eat then and stay up until 1am, sometimes later, so it'd be the same as me eating at 7pm on a normal shift pattern
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is a registered dietician and I asked her about this. She said that when you eat makes no difference, and this myth that eating after a certain time began after someone suggested it to ward off midnight snacking and taking in extra calories. The bottom line is: More calories out than in leads to weight loss. Eat once a day, 6 times a day, eat ALL your calories after 7. Whatever. Just eat at a deficit.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The only reason I can see for stopping eating at a certain time is if its hard to sleep we'll on a full stomach, not usually a problem for me. I'm often grabbing a handful of chocolate almonds on my way to bed.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I stop eating when all my calories are gone, and not a moment before. It is not uncommon for me to eat a fairly large meal 30 minutes before bed, and it hasn't hindered my weight loss or caused me to see visions of Scrooge's friend Marley.
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Never. Dinner can range between 5:30-9:30pm with most nights being around 7-7:30pm. I often have a snack before bed depending on when/what I had dinner.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    No time I eat when I am hungry. This time of year dinner can be as late as 8PM.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I don't eat after 6 but not for weight loss, just to stave off the nightmares and dreams I always end up getting if I eat any later than that.