Beginners Easy to Follow Running Program

Options
I am looking for a Beginners (really beginners) easy to follow running program.

I am 275lbs, but I have always wanted to run. My trainer suggested I start at 2 minutes walking and 30 second running.. I walk at a 2.5 speed (1.0 incline) and run/jog at a 4.5 mph speed for 30 seconds.

I guess I am just looking for something a little more progressive.. and less lineient. I like plans.. and well if I am upping my speed or minutes running that's too easy for me to not follow. I want something I can follow week to week.. My ultimate goal is run a 5K with my husband (who trained himself and is running is it 35 minutes right now).

Does anyone have a good link? or running program they know of?

Replies

• Fat_n_Happy
    Fat_n_Happy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    www.c25k.com
  • zolamercedes
    zolamercedes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    There's the Couch to 5k app for the iphone/ipod
  • rymattsmom
    rymattsmom Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    check out the couch to 5k program online, thats helpful
    good luck!
  • buffalogal1979
    buffalogal1979 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have just gotten back into running myself, and have found this to be a useful site: http://www.runningplanet.com
    Click on training and running articles at the top of the page - they are all free, though there are things you can buy too, of course.
    There are running plans for every level runner from beginner right up through marathoners.
    Good luck!
    J
  • docbku
    docbku Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As noted above, couch to 5k is the answer.
    You can download free podcast that corresponds to the c25k program--it chimes when you switch between walking and jogging at http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html.
    If you don't repeat weeks, you can achieve 30 minutes of pure jogging after the 9 week program.
    If you have knee problems, I have found a solution in vibram five fingers shoes--look crazy, simulate barefoot running, and are the coolest things around.
  • Soooze
    Soooze Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I also use the podcasts. I hate running and signed myself up to run 5k on Oct.3 for Run for the Cure (my birthday!). Did I mention, I hate running? Anyways, I downloaded the couch to 5k Podrunner (under Itunes, click on Podcast and search PodRunner). You will need to download the series and do each week 3 times/week. I'm at week 5 now and I can run 20 min. I still feel pretty crappy when I run, it's not fun yet, but I persevere and feel good afterwards!

Sign yourself up for a little marathon-ish event... it'll keep your butt in gear !
  • JPotvin
    JPotvin Posts: 108
    Options
    I am starting the Couch to 5K program myself...TODAY! I am looking to be able to run 5K and 10K road races with my husband, pushing the double jogger, by next summer (gave myself plenty of time). I read that this C25K program is great....
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I hate running, but I really wanted to be able to do it. I did a C25K group progam and pretty much failed every week except the first two. The trainer beat it into my head that the reason most people fail at running programs is they try to do too much too fast. Give it a try, dont be afraid to repeat weeks when you need to. It took me nearly six months to be able to complete the 5K, but I did it and you can too!
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My Recommendations:

For iPhone/iTouch - Get Running app (much better than the other 3-4 C25K apps on there)

Internet Programs:

7 Month C25K Program - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=27

4 Month C25K Program - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=26

9 Week C25K Program - http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I've used all of these at various stages in my fitness journey. They all work, but if you're brand new to running I recommend either the 7 month or 4 month program. The 9 week is probably too aggressive.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I am looking for a Beginners (really beginners) easy to follow running program.

I am 275lbs, but I have always wanted to run. My trainer suggested I start at 2 minutes walking and 30 second running.. I walk at a 2.5 speed (1.0 incline) and run/jog at a 4.5 mph speed for 30 seconds.

I guess I am just looking for something a little more progressive.. and less lineient. I like plans.. and well if I am upping my speed or minutes running that's too easy for me to not follow. I want something I can follow week to week.. My ultimate goal is run a 5K with my husband (who trained himself and is running is it 35 minutes right now).

Does anyone have a good link? or running program they know of?

Continue as you are doing, in a very short while you will be able to run for 45 seconds and walk for 90. Then it will be something like run for one minute, walk for one minute. The walking bit will get less and less and the running bit will get longer and longer until there will be no walking but comfortable running.

The trick is to run "within yourself", do not get distressed, do not worry about anybody else or what they are doing or how they are developing.

I have no idea who your trainer is, but what they are advising you to do sounds good to me. You say you want something more progressive and you will, just don't desire too much too soon, it only takes a few weeks to become "running fit" after that it is all systems go, just give yourself time and you will be amazed at how quickly you will progress.

All the very best in your running, you will be at the 5k stage in no time :flowerforyou: