Feet hurt when wearing shoes doing aerobics workouts

Options
So I have really good shoes and socks. They work great for walking/running/treadmill, etc.

But when I wear them for my ExerciseTV workouts (in the old days, it was called aerobics), they KILL my feet!! I've been doing them BAREFOOT, which while my feet don't hurt, I know it's harder on my knees and ankles. This workout I'm doing involves enough movement that a yoga/exercise foam mat wouldn't be big enough for doing it barefoot.

Any ideas why my regular shoes (running shoes, Sarconi I think) won't work? Are they not flexible enough? If I were to do these cardio workouts at the gym, do people do them barefoot on the softer/padded surface? I am not going to drop $100 on aerobics shoes, when I do them so rarely.

Thanks y'all!

Replies

• stringcheeze
    Options
    Where do your feet hurt? You might be able to fix things by simply doing a different lace job (or by not tightening them as much).

Check out this article and see if it would help you any: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I actually started doing the Exercise tv workouts a week ago. I have also been doing them barefoot. However I ordered myself a pair of tennis sneakers. I use to always wear Treton Nylites. So I ordered myself a pair of those because they are very flexible. They are light and comfortable and they can absorb the shock. I was using the Exercise tv but just purchased the golds gym wii game. Good Luck
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I do my dvd workouts, (high impact Jillian Michaels) barefoot all the time. I have really good running shoes and socks for running and elliptical too but I sometimes feel like the treads are so thick they will catch on the carpet and I'll trip and kill myself. Or worse, sprain something ;-) Do you feel like you need to wear shoes?

I felt pain in my ankles at first but after a while I could feel my feet and calves getting stronger. I feel like I have better balance now too. I thought it wouldn't be good for me because I have a history of injury, (when I was younger) but I haven't had any problems. I started doing some googling about barefoot exercising because of the whole barefoot running trend and lots of people seem to think it's a good idea to exercise barefoot. Although, there are people who also don't think it's a good idea too. I'm sure it might be different for everybody.

Were you fitted for your running shoes at a running store?
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    One pair of shoes is not made for all exercise. I have aerobic shoes for my CD's I only buy New Balance shoes for walking. and I have a pair of running shoes for my treadmill. If you don't want to buy all those different shoes then at least invest in a low cut cross trainer shoe. I disconnect my ankle from my feet a few years ago and baby that is pain now I only buy the best shoes for my feet that doesn't mean the most expensive shoe but I take care of my feet and it is not good to exercise bare-feet.
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all.

Yes, I was fitted at a professional running store for these shoes.

Lacing--I don't to lace and re-lace shoes twice a day if I go walking too.

My feet hurt ALL over the bottom; maybe my shoes aren't flexible enough.

I'm a barefoot year round kind of girl and would walk everywhere barefoot if I could. I wish I had carpet here to work out on instead of hardwood floors. I could get a leftover piece from a store, but it wouldn't have cushion on it.

My knees/ankles are somewhat stiff afterwards and the next day, but NOTHING like they were before I got good shoes for running/walking.

:) Y'all rock!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Running shoes are made to help propel forward movement. They're not made for the back and forth, side motion, and flat foot stance of aerobics. I workout at home barefoot for the most part (I HATE shoes and hardly ever wear them unless I have to) and it actually hurts my knees and back less to do it barefoot than in my good all purpose shoes. Even running I hurt far less barefoot, but no where safe to do so. Of course, there are activities I don't do barefoot if it would be dangerous. But, since you said barefoot is not always an option (even 2 mats next to each other?) look for a good aerobic or all-purpose shoe. If you are doing both running and areobics, it wouldn't hurt to have 2 pairs. Collectively it won't cost you any more than having one pair and wearing through them and then buying a new pair since you get a certain # of useable hours out of each pair (ie, if you only use them 1/2 the days in the week, they'll last twice as long)
  • DoingItNow2012
    DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread, but I have the same problem. Went to fleet feet and was fitted for shoes and got some superfeet insoles. They worked great, until I tried Zumba. It is the most agonizing pain. I ended up taking the shoes off after two songs and doing it bare feet. If I pushed it longer I don't think I would have been able to do it even barefoot. Anyone have this problem and was able to get rid of it?
  • fluffygoodness
    fluffygoodness Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread, but I have the same problem. Went to fleet feet and was fitted for shoes and got some superfeet insoles. They worked great, until I tried Zumba. It is the most agonizing pain. I ended up taking the shoes off after two songs and doing it bare feet. If I pushed it longer I don't think I would have been able to do it even barefoot. Anyone have this problem and was able to get rid of it?

I had the same issue in Zumba and other dance classes. Non skid socks work like a charm.
  • DoingItNow2012
    DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I was thinking that. And would be cheaper than buying shoes. But I wonder if the lack of arch support will end up hurting my knee and back in the long run - flat feet.