1st day lifting and I'm starving!

Options
Today was my first day trying out All Pro's program. I followed it with a 1/2 hour of cardio while waiting for my son to finish his workout. I have been starving since we left the gym!! I had a post workout snack and had dinner and I'm still starving! Is this normal? I still have calories left but I would like to save them for later.

Replies

• pbsue
    pbsue Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm a newbie to counting calories and weight lifting at the same time. When I was younger, I could execise, including lifting and gauge my food intake without counting calories and lose weight.

Now that I am older, that doesn't work. I am lifting and counting calories.

I get HUNGRY too. If I feel I need to eat more after lifting, then I do. If you are using MFP to account for lifing calories, it may be too low.

Search for the topic of calories for lifting. Also, I have set my calories each day based on an average that includes my routine weekly exercise. So far, that usually gives me enough to eat and I don't log exercise or adjust my eating much for work outs.

I always make sure I am eating at least my BMR (basal metabolic rate).

Check out the Eat More To Weigh Less group and consider joining it. Lots of resources for understanding how to set your calories in MFP and make sure you are eating enough.

Also, I was never big on watching protein, but I am a vegetarian and am adding protein drinks/bars around workouts - a protein drink after lifting for sure. This has helped my hunger.

I have to remind myself that I want to lose weight, but if I am also building muscle, I have to fuel my workout and keep my metabolism going too. I can't say how this is all working for me, because I just started the method of the average calories each day. But, it makes sense to me and feels right.

There is a lot of talk on this site about counting calories and staying within set limits. But, we also need to listen to our bodies and the simple answer may be that when you are starving, you need to eat more.
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I changed my calories today to TDEE-20%. On most days, that's about what I would have been before after adding back calories burned but today I burned a little more since I did weight training and cardio. I think it should even out over the course of a week since there will be days I won't exercise at all...at least 1 day.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I lift after work and often find that I am starving the day after a lifting session. Upping your calories and making sure you are getting enough protein should help
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    personally I find if I eat a really good post-workout meal, it stops me feeling hungry for a long time. So if it was me I'd just eat until I'm not hungry any more, and not worry if I use up all my calories for the day. Are you using the MFP default method? If so you should eat back exercise calories, your deficit is already accounted for in your daily goal.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the hunger on lifting days, too. Does your TDEE calculation include your newly added activity? As soon as you add the lifting in, you're adding activity that will change your calorie goals.
  • christianteach
    Options
    I've noticed the hunger on lifting days, too. Does your TDEE calculation include your newly added activity? As soon as you add the lifting in, you're adding activity that will change your calorie goals.

I used light activity 1-3 days exercise because I sit all day right now and although I workout 5-6 days per week, I don't burn that many calories. I'm currently in summer school working on my master's degree so I sit at a computer all day doing homework. :yawn: I may up it some once school starts in a few weeks and I'm on my feet again, unless I find I don't have as much time to workout once I start working full time and going to school (although the school demands aren't as rigorous during the fall/spring as they are over these short summer sessions). The calorie goal I'm using now is just temporary as I'm waiting for intake advice from Sara and/or SS. In the meantime I thought I would try this but I didn't realize it would make me this hungry. I'm hoping it's just because it was something new or because I did the cardio too.
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I find eating within 1/2 an hour after lifting or long workout helps tremendously with hunger issues.
    As well as ensuring I have enough protein and carbs, usually the heaviest meal of the day.
  • christianteach
    Options
    I find eating within 1/2 an hour after lifting or long workout helps tremendously with hunger issues.
    As well as ensuring I have enough protein and carbs, usually the heaviest meal of the day.

I think that is one of my problems. I came home and ate an 80 calorie Dannon Light and Fit double protein Greek yogurt and two cups of watermelon. I probably should have made myself a nice protein shake or something.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    On days that I work out hard I am starving.
  • pbsue
    pbsue Posts: 12
    Options
    Sounds like you are underestimating your calorie needs to start with. You selected exercise 1-3 days, but you work out 5-6 days.

Check out the Eat More to Weigh Less group and the videos on You Tube.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Take BCAA's pre workout and if you're still hungry after, take them again.
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Oh just for reference, MFP says 40 minutes of lifting burns about 139 calories. I just did 40 minutes of lifting wearing a heart rate monitor and I burned 414 calories!!! So don't forget you can eat a couple hundred more calories than MFP says because it's so wildly inaccurate when it comes to calories and lifting.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day trying out All Pro's program. I followed it with a 1/2 hour of cardio while waiting for my son to finish his workout. I have been starving since we left the gym!! I had a post workout snack and had dinner and I'm still starving! Is this normal? I still have calories left but I would like to save them for later.

Yeah, I think it's normal. :)

What's worked for me is:

(1) I make sure I eat very close to my calorie goal on the days that I lift. I've been focused on losing weight & maintaining muscle mass, so I don't want to starve myself out of muscle repair after lifting.

(2) I try to eat something about an hour before exercise, and then I usually go for some sort of high-protein / fairly-high carb snack (yogurt, protein smoothie or something along those lines) within 30 minutes or so after exercise. Usually that snack's 300+ calories, so it's almost a meal's worth. Even then, I tend to get hungry within another hour or two, so I make sure I've got calories left for another small snack.

(3) I also seem to get better results if I don't go straight from lifting to a full (30m+) cardio stint, but I do weave a little bit of light cardio into my lifting, usually just keeping myself moving in between sets (walking around, doing 30s of jumping jacks, etc).
  • jasonheyd
    Options
    Oh just for reference, MFP says 40 minutes of lifting burns about 139 calories. I just did 40 minutes of lifting wearing a heart rate monitor and I burned 414 calories!!! So don't forget you can eat a couple hundred more calories than MFP says because it's so wildly inaccurate when it comes to calories and lifting.

Unless you're doing a blended workout of strength training and cardio (e.g. a 10 minute fast circuit of supersets with no rest in between sets), your HRM is going to WILDLY over-estimate your calorie burn.

MFP's estimates seem to be pretty accurate for more traditional weight-lifting routines like 3 sets of 5-15 reps for 5-10 exercises over a period of 30-60 minutes with 60-90 seconds rest in between sets.

What MFP's estimates don't really take into account are the ongoing increased calorie burn that occurs in the hours after strength training & that tend to give you overall metabolic improvement.

HRMs can only accurately measure calories for relatively significant and consistent heart rate elevation. Their algorithms are based on oxygen consumption / burn, and the typical rest period in between strength training sets, where your heart rate drops quite a bit, completely skew those algorithms.

With that said, you're right... You probably do get a few extra calories above what MFP estimates due to the extended benefits that I noted above... but it's not 4x per workout session. :)
  • christianteach
    Options

What is BCAA?
  • yvonneseage
    yvonneseage Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend wearing a heart rate monitor during the training. You may be amazed at how many calories you burn just from lifting.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

What is BCAA?
    Branched chain amino acids. Essentially, it's the building blocks of protein. I take them to prevent catabolism because I workout fasted but they really blunt your appetite as well. I'll have gone 20 hours or more without eating and barely felt any hunger.
  • jasonheyd
    Options
    I strongly recommend wearing a heart rate monitor during the training. You may be amazed at how many calories you burn just from lifting.

See my comments above. :)

I agree that wearing the HRM during training, including lifting, is a good idea... But for "standard" lifting routines, it's most useful for targeting specific heart rate levels during your sets. Unfortunately, it's just not that accurate for estimating calorie burns (unless you're talking blended cardio circuits).
  • christianteach
    Options

See my comments above. :)

I agree that wearing the HRM during training, including lifting, is a good idea... But for "standard" lifting routines, it's most useful for targeting specific heart rate levels during your sets. Unfortunately, it's just not that accurate for estimating calorie burns (unless you're talking blended cardio circuits).

I wore mine, but I already knew it wasn't very reliable during weight lifting. I changed my calorie goal to TDEE-20% so I wouldn't have to add back exercise calories anymore. It just seemed easier. That seems like an awful lot of calories for my days off though!
  • jasonheyd
    Options
    I wore mine, but I already knew it wasn't very reliable during weight lifting. I changed my calorie goal to TDEE-20% so I wouldn't have to add back exercise calories anymore. It just seemed easier. That seems like an awful lot of calories for my days off though!

It's definitely not an exact science. :)

It's taken a while for me to get things "dialed in" in a way that works for me. I set my profile to sedentary, wear a Fitbit to automate adjustments in my activity level above sedentary (which is most days but, if I'm having a lazy day, Fitbit does the thinking for me by giving me a lower or even negative adjustment), and I log any strenuous activity beyond the basic stuff I do day-to-day (for example, running / jogging / exercise walks, lifting, yard work, snow-shoveling, whatever).

For the most part I use MFP's strength training calorie burn estimates by logging it under the Cardio section. Everyone's mileage may vary, but, like I said -- it's been working for me. :)