Vacation Gain-- *sigh* tears in the making.

Options
Hi there!
A week ago I weighed in before leaving for vacation: it showed 122 lbs. this morning I weighed in at 130 lbs. 8 lbs in a week of vacation? I seriously want to cry. I am new to weight loss (aka: this site) and this did not put me in a good mood at all!

I know it takes 3500 extra calories to gain weight, and if I ate 5000 calories per day (which would be 3500 calories over my daily limit), I could have put on 10 pounds (if I did the math correctly)?

I am now feeling like I did eat 5000 calories per day! How on earth do I get this weight off?

Replies

• robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Keep moving forward!
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Start fresh tomorrow, or at your next meal. For me, the first couple days are always the hardest to eat well.

Another thing that could have happened is you could have eaten a lot of sodium. I notice when I eat a lot of salty food (happens to me on vacation a lot), that my weight momentarily goes up for a few days.
  • Junie2013
    Junie2013 Posts: 53
    Options
    This kind of weight gain is usually temporary *if* you don't let it mess with your head and abandon your efforts. Assuming you were exercising and watching your food intake before, go back to doing what you were doing, and it should disappear fairly quickly. Chin up!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    A couple of months ago I went on a 5 nite cruise, I gained 7 pds, less than a week later it all came off!!! Most of it is just water weight, drink a lot of water it will eventually come back off!!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It's not a big deal. In May I went on vacation, gained 13lbs. I'm already lighter than when I started. Don't sweat it, just take it slow.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You probably ate a lot of processed foods full of salt. Go back to your regular eating and weigh again in a week. It will probably be gone.
  • RunningForHealth
    Options
    A couple of months ago I went on a 5 nite cruise, I gained 7 pds, less than a week later it all came off!!! Most of it is just water weight, drink a lot of water it will eventually come back off!!

Thanks for the help and comments- do you really think it is likely sodium and water weight?
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options

Thanks for the help and comments- do you really think it is likely sodium and water weight?

Yes. When we are eating out, we are eating a lot of salty foods. And probably not drinking enough fluids, or if we are, they are caffeine loaded or alcoholic, which doesn't help. Drink plenty of fluids, get back on your healthy eating plans and you will be back to normal soon.
  • Basia_and4345
    Basia_and4345 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    A week ago I weighed in before leaving for vacation: it showed 122 lbs. this morning I weighed in at 130 lbs. 8 lbs in a week of vacation? I seriously want to cry. I am new to weight loss (aka: this site) and this did not put me in a good mood at all!

I know it takes 3500 extra calories to gain weight, and if I ate 5000 calories per day (which would be 3500 calories over my daily limit), I could have put on 10 pounds (if I did the math correctly)?

I am now feeling like I did eat 5000 calories per day! How on earth do I get this weight off?

Don't let the numbers get to you. Just pick up where you left off before vacation and I think you will see those 8 lbs fall off pretty fast. Be Well.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    It is more likely water retention from eating a lot of sodium over your vacation. Just get back on track, drink a lot of water and you will lose it soon enough.

Keep going strong!!!!!!
  • RunningForHealth
    Options
    Would you suggest any kind of "diet" to get back on track. AKA- high protein with no carbs, or loads of water, etc.