Yoga tonight

Options
Ok I've did yoga in the privacy of my own home but I'm going to my first real class with an instructor tonight. I'm a little nervous. I have ZERO flexibility.

Replies

• ismatts
    Options
    I wouldnt stress it too much, most people are not looking around watching other people. I keep my eyes closed unless they do a new move I am not familiar with. BTW I have only done it 2 times.

I am sure you will like it and there is usually NO pressure.
  • girlruns
    Options
    I LOVE yoga. I usually do it at home since it is expensive to go to a class, but the classes are so much better! You will see a lot of different skill levels so don't worry. Plus, if the class isn't too big, the instructor should be able to help you with some of the moves you are struggling with. They usually can tell if you truely can't do a move or if a little tweak would make a difference.

Have fun!!
  • megamix12
    Options
    Awesome! I am doing my first ever yoga class tonight also! 2 of my co-workers and I are "buddying" up and giving it a go - i am excited yet nervous! I hope i don't get the giggles!
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I am doing my first ever yoga class tonight also! 2 of my co-workers and I are "buddying" up and giving it a go - i am excited yet nervous! I hope i don't get the giggles!

Me and one of my co-workers are going tonight. I'm worried about the giggles too. I think they may have to separate us...hahaha!
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    I want to try yoga so bad.

I tried it at home and didn't do to good :ohwell:
    And I don't think I can be quite enough for a class :laugh:
  • jasimpson
    jasimpson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The first thing to remember is Flexibility is not a requirement, it is a goal! Typically your instructor will start the class by creating an atmosphere of calm and quiet, while bringing focus to self. I've been teaching for a number of years and very rarely are there any giggle problems! Have fun, enjoy :)
  • adrienc
    Options
    Remember that it's not HOW you do the pose that it is important.. There's no such thing as a "perfect" pose in yoga, and yoga magic will work for you if you keep your breathing fluid and natural, while going into the pose the pose as deep as YOU CAN, but without "forcing it".

It has to feel challenging for your body, but yet it has to feel good, so don't force it, and just try to get into the poses as best as you can. It's all that matters.

Flexibility will come naturally as you keep practicing it.
  • lmburi
    Options
    Most yoga instructors will adapt all of the poses so that a person at any yoga level should be able to do some version of the pose. In addition, remember that you can always go into child's pose if you ever feel like something's too difficult (which is also something that yoga instructors should remind you of). So don't worry! You'll be great, and a good yoga instructor will make sure you're comfortable while still getting a good workout that's appropriate for you and where you're at.
  • lmburi
    Options
    Jenks, anyone can do yoga!!! I mean that so seriously. A good yoga instructor will be sure to explain adaptations to every pose, so no matter where you're at, you can always find something that works (even if it's just child's pose, which is basically lying on the floor...not quite, but along those lines). Think about it this way: you probably had worries or doubts about losing weight when you started, but you just jumped in and have done such an amazing job! The same is true of yoga. You have worries and doubts, but once you jump in, you will do an amazing job! I say, if it's something you want to try, then you should definitely try it!
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Yoga was awesome! It was a the very basics class and she said I did wonderful. I will definitely go back for that.
  • lmburi
    Options
    Good for you! I'm glad you've found something that you enjoy so much. Keep it up!