8 large cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons butter
5-6 cups cauliflower florets
6-7 cups vegetable broth or water
1 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
½ teaspoon pepper (more to taste)
½ cup milk (more to taste)
INSTRUCTIONS
Garlic: Saute the minced garlic with the butter in a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Cook for several minutes or until the garlic is soft and fragrant but not browned (browned or burnt garlic will taste bitter). Remove from heat and set aside.
Cauliflower: Bring the water or vegetable broth to a boil in a large pot. Add the cauliflower and cook, covered, for 7-10 minutes or until cauliflower is fork tender. Do not drain.
Puree: Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cauliflower pieces to the blender. Add 1 cup vegetable broth or cooking liquid, sauteed garlic/butter, salt, pepper, and milk. Blend or puree for several minutes until the sauce is very smooth, adding more broth or milk depending on how thick you want the sauce. You may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your blender. Serve hot! If the sauce starts to look dry, add a few drops of water, milk, or olive oil.

serving size is half cup 50 calories 6 carbs 3 g fat 3 g protein

Replies

• My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I want some cauliflower ice cream yummmm!
  • DesignerJojo
    DesignerJojo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well...that's dinner tomorrow sorted. :happy:
  • charlenequinn94
    Options
    looks good I will be giving it a try.
  • kmstieg
    kmstieg Posts: 58
    Options
    Love cauliflower....thanks for posting!!! :smile:
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    yum
  • erikaaaaaaaa
    erikaaaaaaaa Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    interesting! will have to try.
  • GaJavaGirl
    GaJavaGirl Posts: 25
    Options
    Bump
  • PhoenixRising7
    PhoenixRising7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Bump. Sounds delicious!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you know that you can just make Alfredo with low fat cream right ...?

sorry but my Italian *kitten* can't stand the thought of cauliflower alfredo ....dry heaves in mouth...
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    you know that you can just make Alfredo with low fat cream right ...?

sorry but my Italian *kitten* can't stand the thought of cauliflower alfredo ....dry heaves in mouth...

Something inside me just died a little reading this recipe.

Cauliflower is Romanesco in Italian. If you want an Italian dish using Romanesco, roast it in the oven with a light dusting of parmesan. It's fantastic that way. It gets a little sweet and smokey tasting. And the light dust of parmesan gives it that extra little bit of delicious.

It goes great with a smaller portion of fettucini alfredo made with whole milk or light cream.

:flowerforyou:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Alfredo sauce = butter + parm.
  • beautyonthebeach83
    beautyonthebeach83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just made this for the first time maybe a couple weeks ago and it is so good! Even my 4 year old loved it. He's not a big eater at all and he asked for 2nds and 3rds on it. :) I did add parmesan to it though and used full fat everything. I used some of the leftover sauce to make a broccoli cheese soup with as well. So good! We're having it again tomorrow.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Alfredo sauce = butter + parm.

amen...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I want cry for people that think cauliflower needs to replace all that is right and sacred with food, but I usually content myself with loling
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I want cry for people that think cauliflower needs to replace all that is right and sacred with food, but I usually content myself with loling

^ LOL at this...
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    This sounds good. BUT this is not Alfredo sauce. Cauliflower pasta sauce? Yes. Alfredo sauce? No.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Stop blaspheming the word Alfredo. There is no cauliflower in my Alfredo sauce. None.
  • CeeBee88
    CeeBee88 Posts: 33
    Options
    I think this reciepe is great. Afterall they serve califlower in italia like this, so why the scorn...? Its the perfect european winter food and I've had a couple of amazing al forno dishes with something simlar (including a veggie lasagne type dish that remaines one of the most amazing things I ate in italy!). Roast it first as the other poster said, then serve it puree'd with garlic and you have something way more authentic, healthy and tasty than a tub of store bought alfredo.

Yes its not alfredo, but it is yummy.
  • beautyonthebeach83
    beautyonthebeach83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have nothing against real alfredo; I eat mostly full fat things. But this really is a tasty sauce if you don't think of it as "alfredo." I added parm though. I like the idea of getting more micronutrients into my family's diet. My son loves broccoli but he and my husband dislike cauliflower. I didn't tell them they were eating cauliflower til after they cleaned their bowls and my husband was in disbelief and pretty impressed. All I'm saying is don't knock it til you try it!
  • Raeza12
    Raeza12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yum, I'm going to try this tonight.

Thanks for posting :)