Having trouble eating enough calories.

Options
I was a casual grazer for ages, and when I decided to commit to weight loss I changed all my eating habits. But something else has changed, I'm almost never hungry and am finding that I'm way under (about 800 calories on avg.) under my goal. This puts me at consuming about 800 calories a day.
I work full time with an average of a 2 hour daily commute, and I've found that at lunchtime I'm FORCING myself to eat a 300 calorie "Eating Right" frozen meal. And by dinner, forget about it! I still feel full from lunch. If I don't start eating around (at least) 1200 calories a day I'm at risk of putting my body into starvation mode and messing up my metabolism. I'm on a low-carb diet (I have Hypoglycemia on top of an aversion to gluten) so I can't really use carbs as a slow-burn filler.

Halp.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Fat is the most calorie dense macronutrient at 9 calories per gram. Start eating more fat to get the calories you need.
  • baiye1
    baiye1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you can eat it, have Greek Yogurt. Also, celery with peanut butter is a good choice or an apple with peanut butter. Try veggies with hummus. I understand the feeling of not being hungry, this time through, I'm rarely hungry and I don't eat unless I am physically hungry. But it makes getting good calories a bit harder. This is what I've been using.
  • HiImTomHardy
    HiImTomHardy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What kind of fats would you recommend, because I'm pretty sure you're not telling me to eat a family size bag of m&m's =]
  • HiImTomHardy
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt! I make green smoothies for breakfast every morning and I always throw some in there for good measure. Thanks for the heads up! I love hummus and haven't had any since I started dieting.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Full fat cheese. Milk. Greek yogurt. Peanut butter. Ice cream.
  • bermequeen
    bermequeen Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Try sneaking in foods like almonds or pistachios. They have healthy fat and a little high on the calorie side but they taste great and its not a full fledged meal.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I would consult a physician/psychiatrist if you have trouble eating more than 800 calories a day.
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    What kind of fats would you recommend, because I'm pretty sure you're not telling me to eat a family size bag of m&m's =]
    Try foods like peanut butter or almond butter. Any kinds of nuts will be plentiful in fat. Another popular choice would be avocado, and maybe try cooking with olive oil!
  • ohyahohyah
    Options
    you might try putting good oils in your meals. if it's a salad, pour avocado or olive oil on it. if it's stir fry or rice, put a nutritious oil into it. also whole dates have plenty of calories. if you can get some very good fresh dates, they are the bomb and 5 can add 300 calories to your day.
  • thatonerunnergirl
    thatonerunnergirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try getting some exercise - not to suggest you don't, but especially if your days are long and boring, try sneaking in an extra walk, some crunches, or just dancing while you're making dinner. I find that just getting some blood circulating sometimes stimulates my appetite!
  • wisher40
    wisher40 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    First of all, don't worry too much about starvation mode, as there have been a lot of studies done that show that their isn't really such a thing.

With that said, eating that few calories probably means you aren't getting enough of the nutrients and minerals to be healthy. Make sure you are taking a multivitamin to fill in those needs.

If the thought of eating sounds unappealing, try drinking some calories with protein shakes or smoothies!
  • HiImTomHardy
    Options
    These are all excellent suggestions that I will capitalize on post-haste. Sounds like I just need more protein and healthy fats. Thank you all!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Avocados, nuts, nut butters, full fat dairy, olive oil/healthy fats, lean meats, canned tuna, protein powder/shakes...
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I was a casual grazer for ages, and when I decided to commit to weight loss I changed all my eating habits. But something else has changed, I'm almost never hungry and am finding that I'm way under (about 800 calories on avg.) under my goal. This puts me at consuming about 800 calories a day.
    I work full time with an average of a 2 hour daily commute, and I've found that at lunchtime I'm FORCING myself to eat a 300 calorie "Eating Right" frozen meal. And by dinner, forget about it! I still feel full from lunch. If I don't start eating around (at least) 1200 calories a day I'm at risk of putting my body into starvation mode and messing up my metabolism. I'm on a low-carb diet (I have Hypoglycemia on top of an aversion to gluten) so I can't really use carbs as a slow-burn filler.

Halp.

Get some help.
  • Celebi03
    Celebi03 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't blame you. I used to have this problem myself; but unlike you, I didn't eat because I was afraid to get bigger. I don't want to offend you but if you can't eat enough calories please don't starve yourself and get some help. Try upping your calories daily, eat more fat-dense foods! Have a huge breakfast in the morning, that does the trick for me. OR dinner, I love eating my remaining calories for dinner! good luck! :flowerforyou: