Need high-calorie, high-nutrient snack ideas!

I'm always on the go and find I don't eat enough during the day, mostly because I don't know what to grab that'll be satisfying. Some days like today I'll come home exhausted, even though I've had dinner I'll eat 3 bowls of whole grain cereal, some chocolate, and 2 muffins with peanut butter. I have no regrets about eating so much (even if it's unhealthy occasionally!) because my body needs fuel, but I'm tired of "catching up" at night.

What are some genuinely healthy snacks/fuel I can eat? I eat tons of nuts, but I don't know of any good, inexpensive granola/protein bars (a lot of them make me feel yucky - so much sugar?). I have a sensitive stomach so it's always been hard to find good foods. I'm also a student so I don't have unlimited funds!

(I'm not on a low-calorie diet; I'm trying to gain a few pounds by personal preference but have been maintaining on 3500+ so I'm trying to focus more on just staying healthy.. *sigh* metabolism never ends..)

Replies

• JoJo61612
    JoJo61612 Posts: 21 Member
    String cheese, protein bars, avocado
  • rachelrkane
    rachelrkane Posts: 13 Member
    Grab 'n Go Peanut Butter Bars
    http://www.postfoods.com/recipes/grab-n-go-peanut-butter-bars/

I make these bars for my kids all the time, and occasionally enjoy one myself. Super easy to make, and easily stores in a airtight container for a week.
  • thatonerunnergirl
    thatonerunnergirl Posts: 5 Member
    YUM! Those look amazing. Anything with peanut butter and raisins is a must-have for me.

I love avocado, but never really know what to put it on besides sandwiches/salads.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Eggs are great, hard-boiled make a good portable snack if you can eat them like that. I love beef jerky (but I'm pretty picky with mine) and home made trail mixes are probably one of my favorite quick snacks. If you eat dairy then cheese or yogurt is great, if you eat grains you should read up on how to make your own granola. So much better than most of the stuff you can buy. Fruits, fresh or dried, are also nutrient rich healthy choices.