50 Something and I need alittle help from some friends

Options
Hi, my name is Stephanie and I'm actually 54. I have tried using MFP a couple of times to track and lose but after while I stop tracking. I've used WW online a couple of time but I do the same thing. Lose some, gain it back.

I mess up then overeat even more making excuses and thinking, "I'll start again Monday" But it's getting harder and harder, and the last six months I've gained fifteen more pounds.

I have always tried to do this on my own, so I never used the message board for support before. I need to become accountable and I need a little help from some new friends.

Thanks

Replies

• tlmcint
    tlmcint Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I'm 48, and would be glad to lend support! Although I do tend to be the more quiet type. It's only been this year that I managed to stick to any kind of diet, and the only time I've finally stuck to exercise! What is different this time than any other time before for me? I have no idea, except motivation and God.. I found a motivation that is working, attending my oldest son's wedding in August and not wanting to be an embarrassment to him. :P A rather shallow motivation, but it's working. God... I truly couldn't pull this off without God. So far I've lost a total of 30lbs since January.. not great, but good.

Find something like that for you. Grandkids you want to be around for? Simply wanting to feel better about yourself? Just some little something that hits your heart and you can dangle in front of yourself like a carrot when you need a kick in the butt to step away from the food and go for a walk!

Feel free to add me to friends list and I can offer encouragement when needed to! :)
  • trenee35
    trenee35 Posts: 143
    Options
    Hi I'm Toni. I will be 50 in December and would like to enter my 50's fit and healthy. I am losing very slowly, but I'm logging in every day and keeping active. I could use some friends for help and encouragement going both ways.
  • steviet50
    steviet50 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for you support tlmcint, Sticking with the plan for a year and losing 30 pounds since January is great. Congratulations! I look forward to your help.

Earlier this year, I lost my mom and mother in-law in the same month, two wonderful sweet ladies I dearly love. My faith is the only thing that got me through her illnesses and losses. It's been a hard year.

You are right I need to find motivation. I hope with your help and others who offer to become friends, I get focused on become healthy.

BTW, no grandkids, Yet ! But I always hopeful, lol.
  • steviet50
    Options
    Thanks Toni, I look forward to us working towards our goals together.
  • padisneyfour
    padisneyfour Posts: 220
    Options
    Hi! I have been around since late march, log in every day and am def more active now . I just turned 50 . feel free to add me!
  • NightMagic5
    NightMagic5 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think I have the same problem you do. I lost 8 pounds when I first joined & than gained 5 back. I just about have it off again. If you need an extra person to support you, just add me to your list.
  • atibrat
    atibrat Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi Stephanie,

I sent you a message and please add me as a friend. I think we might have a lot in common when it comes to weight loss.
    I have a hard time sticking with it and if I mess up I always quit and say I will start again Monday. (What is it about Monday) LOL

This time I am NOT going to quit no matter what. When I slip up and I know I will I am going to get over it and continue on.
    For the first time I am going to try to enjoy the journey and not wait until I hit my goals to be happy.

Tammy

14035015.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • steviet50
    Options
    Friend requests sent, Thank you all for your the support, I already feel more positive and hopeful. I agree Tammy, I will also enjoy journey this time not just focusing on the goal. First step, log two days in row.
  • lklkl5
    lklkl5 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and have been through all the same struggles. Last fall I decided it was time to make a change for a healthy future. I never approached it as a diet. Small changes here and there and view it as a lifestyle change. After 8 months I am down 57#'s, exercise 4-5 times a week and feel better than ever. My husband and I have truly made a lifestyle change. We strive to make healthy choices and move more. But we still enjoy eating out, a cookie here and there etc... Thus a lifestyle change. It needs to be livable. If you feel deprived you will not be successful. Feel free to add me. I have been through it all, the good, the bad and the ugly. My diary is open and I log every day (occasionally miss a day due to vacation etc..). I'm on here daily and happy to provide meaningful support.
  • steviet50
    Options
    Thank you for your support, friend requests sent.
  • Kewpie777
    Kewpie777 Posts: 2
    Options
    I will be 50 this year. I am new to MFP and still trying to figure it out. I would like to lose 15 pounds. That would be "goal" I suppose.

I would love the support as well. Is there a way to have replies go to email or is it all here on line.

And how about the app...is everyone using it? I have an android:)

Kewpie
  • jaejae97
    jaejae97 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    HI! I am 44 and would love to be friends. I will send you a friend request. I too understand your comments and concerns, mainly because I have them as well :)
  • steviet50
    Options
    Great two more friends! I look forward to us working together to become healthier and having some fun while we are doing it. Kewpie777 check your setting for emails. I received emails notifications and I'm using the android app and love it.
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am 66 years old. But I would like to be your friend.
    It is a tough journey, I have some good days and there will always be a bad day.

I love MFP because of all of the support and motivation .
    I have lost 17 pounds in 2 months, mainly doing my calorie goal and drinking lots of water.
    My only exercise is walking.
  • Christinebell65
    Options
    Hello, I am 48 and overweight almost all my life. Life is getting harder as I age and still carry 75 extra pounds. Have done well recording food and exercise on MFP but stopped tracking last year. Since then, 5-10 pounds back on. I think that adding the community component with support from other might help.
  • RockClimber69
    RockClimber69 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 44 and do the same thing! I'm great for a while and then lose motivation. Right now, I'm desperately trying to fit into my wedding dress for Aug 31st (2nd marriage) and could use some support too. Any and all feel free to add me and I'll cheer you on too!
  • HeartbeccaCA
    HeartbeccaCA Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I am 52 and hae struggled with weight for years and years. I have done other things, but this time I am using suport and tracking calories/exercise etc. Can't argue with the facts. I qwould be glad to lend suport if you will do the same. I am just starting out here and have a very long way to go! The journey is always better with a friend.
  • Dainty59
    Dainty59 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 feel free to add me
  • lorettasnewbeginning
    Options
    I turned 50 in March. I joined MFP last May and lost 33 pounds between May and October. I got off track in October while my daughter was in the hospital (good excuse, but still an excuse). Then I managed to gain 35 pounds between October and May. I am back on MFP since June and am doing well, for now. I'd love to have you as a friend. Feel free to add me.
  • sarily44
    sarily44 Posts: 25
    Options
    I am older than you, but my history is sort of the same. I have lost and regained 35 pounds in less than a year. I lost 50 pounds with Nutrisytem 3 years ago. I don't know whether participating in the message boards can be helpful, but I am trying it too. I just started on Sunday, July 7. Good luck! Are you using a specific program, or just doing the 1200 calorie MFP basics? I've given up on programs; they work -- but then I want to eat "real" food and regain.