How do you tell if you're at your goal weight?

Options
Weight fluctuates for a lot of reasons, a big meal late the night before, a high sodium meal/day, dehydration etc

So because weight fluctuates so much, how do you consider yourself at your goal weight when, on one day you're there, and then the next day or week you're up a few pounds of kilos because of a heavy eating day or a salty meal?

I never had a lot to lose in the first place only 4kg (or 9lbs), so when I lose a kilo or two in less than a fortnight am I there because I'm a little dehydrated that morning? Or because those slip ups over the weekend weren't as detrimental as I thought they would be? What about all the other factors that come into play, if it's like this now how will I know when I'm truly at my goal weight?

I'd hate to record my weight for that week on a day like that only to find that my weight has gone up the next time I weigh myself. Okay, maybe I'm obsessing over the number a little TOO much but I like numbers, they're usually indisputable.

Those at your goal weight, what do you do? What's it like to be there and what sort of fluctuations do you see?

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Have you considered not having a single goal weight, but doing a 5lb range? It would give you wiggle room.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Hi- I've been at my goal weight for a while, and working on toning up some- building muscle and trying to lose a little fat. Well so rather than use a goal weight, I use a measurement of the part of me that tends to gain weight when I gain weight- and as long as it doesn't increase I don't worry about the scale.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I do a range of 2-5lbs around what I would consider my goal.
  • jenniferwoodweeg
    jenniferwoodweeg Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is exactly where I am at w/my weight! I have lost 7 pounds . Thought I needed to lose another 6 but, I go down 1, gain 2the nextvweek, etc.. I am still on 1200 cal and working out w-weights etc 5days/week.. Maybe it is best to give it that 5 pound wiggle room. Then, guess I only have 1 more to lose? Ugh
  • LadyAsrai
    LadyAsrai Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't pay that much attention to the scale, although that's mostly because I don't have regular access to one. It's rewarding to see the numbers falling, but I concentrate more on how I look and feel. I'll have reached my goal weight when I'm happy with my appearance, energy level, etc.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    It's not so much a goal weight for me as a goal feeling - if that makes any sense. I want to feel strong and slim and get the stomach i want and that's going to happen by losing weight but I don't much care if it happens at 120 or 135.

If you are focused on a number, I'd say give yourself about a 5 pound range around what you've chosen to weigh and if you stay in that range for more than a month (possibly disregarding TOM as I know a few people who literally bloat up 15 lbs that week) I'd say that you've succeeded in reaching your goal weight.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    When I walk down the street and all the men fall to the sides like the parting of the red sea. That's when I know I'm at goal weight.
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    This is exactly where I am at w/my weight! I have lost 7 pounds . Thought I needed to lose another 6 but, I go down 1, gain 2the nextvweek, etc.. I am still on 1200 cal and working out w-weights etc 5days/week.. Maybe it is best to give it that 5 pound wiggle room. Then, guess I only have 1 more to lose? Ugh

From all the info I've read on here from experienced people... you may want to up your calories. "They" say that as you get closer to your goal, you shoot for 1/2lb loss a week instead of 1 pound. It makes sense to me.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I don't have a goal weight so I guess I'll never know! lol... What I weigh has nothing to do with how I look and feel.
  • simlrh
    simlrh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself every day and average over the last 7 days. The conventional wisdom about weighing in once a week is pure nonsense, in terms of the maths.

Using myself as an example, if I only weighed myself on Wednesdays I'd think I lost 0.3 kg this week.

If I only weighed myself on Thursdays I'd think I lost 0.9 kg.

If I only weighed myself on Fridays I'd think I GAINED 0.4 kg!

But because I weigh myself every day and take a 7 day average, I know I'm steadily losing 0.7 kg per week.

The only reason not to do it is if you can't handle the numbers going up and down every day, but in my experience, once you've seen them fluctuating for a week you stop caring about any individual weigh in and you start only paying attention to the average.
  • britneyy32
    britneyy32 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I can tell that I'm at my goal weight when I'm happy with myself and how I look. Which is what you should be focused on, not a number...
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    No goal weight here, my last weigh in was a year ago.

I go on the fit of my clothes,specifically a trouser belt I wear during the week.

If I'm on the last notch comfortably I'm doing OK.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    my goal weight is a 10 pound window! between 145 and 155. im 165 right now, and im going to reach 145 no matter what... then, im going to give myself 10 pounds of wiggle room, and set a cap of 155 which will tell me... drop the cals down, and lose a few pounds... lol
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    those who only have about 5lbs to lose, consider eating at maintenance, or 10% below and doing some strength training - you dont need to lose weight, just a little bodyfat to 'tone up'.
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's best to have a minimum and maximum weight you are comfortable with. My 'target weight' was 67 kilos and for the past year I have been either just above or just below that. I weigh myself every morning and the scales can be up and down every day, but it never goes up above 68 and never goes below 66, so it averages out at about 67kg. If it went up above 68 I'd do something about it, but I've never had to because this 'micro-managing' of my weight keeps me on track.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Have you considered not having a single goal weight, but doing a 5lb range? It would give you wiggle room.

This ^

This is precisely what I intend to do.