Inexpensive and Healthy foods ~ Tips and Tricks

Options
mbm62
mbm62 Posts: 1 Member
HI. I am on a very stringent budget. Any tips or tricks I would be happy to entertain them.
Thanks
MBM62

Replies

• PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I am on a tight budget right now as well, especially right now since I am the only one able to work. My husbands been having tons of healthy issues preventing him from working, the past 4 months. Use coupons and check local grocery adds before shopping, Walmart accepts competitors adds. I buy cheapy $1 store brand boxes of pasta, I buy frozen veggies instead of fresh or canned, usually for about a $1 as well. I buy store brand everything, unless the national brand is cheaper the time. I save leftovers and pack it for work the next day so I don't have to buy my lunch.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bcarman86
    bcarman86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Buy beans, nuts, and grains from the bulk bins. Many stores have organic in bulk bins, and it's cheaper by the pound than the non-organic packaged product.
  • Pinupdollrawr
    Pinupdollrawr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Price match !!!! Coupons!!

Also buying store brands over name brands will save you money. Meal planning will also help save money. For example plan your meal for a week or two and then shop for all the ingredients you need for those 1-2 weeks. Look at ads to see if you can price match as well as search for coupons that are out on those products you need.
  • sunny747
    sunny747 Posts: 8
    Options
    I would suggest looking around for a local farmer's market. We have been able to find veggies and fruits with as much as a 50% savings at our local farmer's market, and much better quality than the grocery stores in the area. Today we purchased four huge green peppers, four large cucumbers, four zucchini, and a huge head of cabbage for less than $7. In our local store, all of this would have cost me at least 25-50% more, and it would have been sitting there for a while, not as large, and not as good of quality (a lot more beaten and bruised). This produce was fresh from the garden!

I also agree with someone else - beans are a great protein and they are cheap. Meal planning is a great idea to save money because you can plan around a budget and still buy things you know you will like and eat. Great suggestions here!