Favorite Pre-Made Lunches and Dinners

Options
Hi!

I'm a fan of making a huge meal on Sunday and portioning it out for the five days a week for lunches.

Typically I keep my lunches protein high and around 500 calories...I eat snacks throughout the day.

I'm running low on ideas.

I like savory food - any ideas for me? Remember I need to be able to put them in the freezer for the week.

oh and the kicker = Must be gluten free or be able to be made gluten free - I have Celiacs disease

Thanks!

Alex

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,708 Member
    Options
    My packed lunches are not so exciting but here goes.

Typically 200g of cooked frozen veg with some protein. Protein could be leftovers, boiled eggs, turkey based cold cuts, or crab sticks. I might add a dollop of pesto or chilli sauce to liven up the vegetables if the protein offering (usually leftovers) is a little dull.

Normally also pack a couple of pieces of fruit.
  • Shandra101
    Shandra101 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Lentils or soup seem to be my big pot, then freeze for the week meals. I have also made individual sized lasagna that did ok in the freezer too but it was a bit more work.

http://www.wisebread.com/15-phenomenally-frugal-single-serving-freezer-meals
  • hippy2skippy
    hippy2skippy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Two things I make ALL of the time and do exactly that, google the recipes: 17 Day Diet Chicken Vegetable Soup and 8 Can Taco Soup. Also do it with some recipes from Skinnytaste, like the Crustless Spinach Feta Pie and various Low Cal Banana Bread recipes. Good luck finding what works for you for gluten-free, I'm sure there are options avail! I've used Better Batter cup for cup flour in the Spinach Feta pie and didn't mind it a bit, same for Banana Bread but it was a little more dense than I like. Not super high protein suggestions but you can modify I'm sure to meet your needs.
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I actually just made enchiladas.

Made shredded chicken in the crock pot - I used two cans diced tomatoes, tomato paste, can of corn, diced pepper and onion. spicy peppers to taste. white wine, salt and pepper to taste. just make sure there is enough liquid to cover the chicken.

my sauce was watery, so I thickened with cornstarch like gravy to layer below and ontop.

wrapped the shredded chicken in tortillas, and cover with the sauce, and cheese and bake til gooey.

I am sure that you can make these gluten free by subbing ingredients.
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    these look amazing! thank you!
  • Pinupdollrawr
    Pinupdollrawr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CeeBee88
    CeeBee88 Posts: 33
    Options
    A chicken and chick-pea or chicken and lentil curry? One pot cooking, gluten free, freezable and you can mix with as much or as little carb as you like. I like to reheat it and just eat it as it is, the chickepeas are amazingly filling and dont need any rice with them.

If you're worried about the spicy food or the smells for lunch there are european style variations - try cooking chopped chicken breast with a little onion, garlic, tinned tomatoes, rosemary flageolet and borlotti beans. the good thing about the meat-and-beans recipes is there is normally a recipe in every type of cusine you enjoy.