When/how do you start to feel it?

Options
Hello! Anyone can offer any comments on this situation?

I'm down 11+ kg (25 lb) since April (approximately). The scale at home and at the doctor's shows decreases on a sustained basis, with some plateaus (maybe related to occasional irregularity and sodium/water retention). I started at 130 kg (285+ lb) and ideally I'm headed for 90 kg (200 lb) so that means I'm a third of the way there (presumably the easiest third).

My issue is that I don't really "feel" it on my body. I do feel some more muscle definition under the fat and the aches and pains from exercise but looking at old photos and just looking in the mirror, I don't really see it. I can't see it in my face and not in my worst areas. I do feel somewhat "deflated" in my stomach/gut but that's also very much related to diet and not overdoing bread and other carbs.

Male, 30, 180 cm (5' 11"), for what it's worth.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I still don't "feel it." I don't see it when I look in the mirror. Although if I take pictures and compare them side by side, I can see it. :laugh:
  • Apple1234
    Apple1234 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I dont know if this is helpful, sorry if its not, but I didnt feel it on my body until I lost 50 pounds and a pants size. I think for me when I lose clothing sizes I feel it in my body and can see it otherwise I feel like I havent changed a bit even if the scale says I have. Keep up the awesome work! Sometimes it takes the mind a long time to see what its accomplished with all the hard work you put in :)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I felt it when I dropped 10 pounds. But then, I didn't have much weight to lose in the first place, so it was probably more noticeable for me than for someone bigger that dropped 10
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options

I'm down 11+ kg (25 lb) since April (approximately). The scale at home and at the doctor's shows decreases on a sustained basis, with some plateaus (maybe related to occasional irregularity and sodium/water retention). I started at 130 kg (285+ lb) and ideally I'm headed for 90 kg (200 lb) so that means I'm a third of the way there (presumably the easiest third).

My issue is that I don't really "feel" it on my body. I do feel some more muscle definition under the fat and the aches and pains from exercise but looking at old photos and just looking in the mirror, I don't really see it. I can't see it in my face and not in my worst areas. I do feel somewhat "deflated" in my stomach/gut but that's also very much related to diet and not overdoing bread and other carbs.

I'm in the exact same position as you.

I've dropped 30lbs, sure I can notice my arms have got more muscle, and I can feel my chest getting more muscle, but from the chest down I still look very fat in my eyes.

However, that hasn't put me off, that's just inspired me to keep going... I've dropped 30lbs in just under 3 months. That's a huge accomplishment, and so is yours.

Keep going man. Document everything. Document your measurements, take photos of yourself in front of the mirror every week. You WILL see a difference eventually, I promise you. You just got to have the fire and determination to walk through the mud of life.

If you still need motivation, listen to Greg Plitt. The guy is an inspiration machine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2xn54Irp-o
  • mile626
    mile626 Posts: 29
    Options
    I'd say I didn't really feel slimmer until about 30-40 pounds lost. However, my pants were loose and I bought as size smaller after about 20 pounds.

I didn't have a "whoa!" moment in the mirror until I had dropped about 50.

I take a photo of myself every month in the same position, in the same place, at the same angle at the same time of day (for lighting consistency), and in the same poses (front and profile). It was easy to see the dieffence after just one month.
  • brnidsusn
    brnidsusn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    we are always hardest on ourselves. sigh. I don't feel/see it either. even as the scale goes down & clothes are looser. maybe as apple said it takes awhile for your mind to see and accept. I know I feel better and stronger! focus on that. and I am working very hard on accepting compliments graciously ( not self deprecatingly!) and believe in how others my transformation. good luck! strong work. keep it up :)
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options

If you still need motivation, listen to Greg Plitt. The guy is an inspiration machine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2xn54Irp-o

Great vid, thanks for the link!
  • fishnbrah
    fishnbrah Posts: 550
    Options

you dont start to see big changes until your lower bodyfat. as far as "feeling" it, idk what you mean
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

you dont start to see big changes until your lower bodyfat. as far as "feeling" it, idk what you mean

OP please explain "feel it"
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    for me, i'd lost 8kg before I started to 'feel it' and for me that was when things were getting loose and people were remarking on it. that was about 6 weeks, and coincided with the beginning of work for the year after having the summer off.
  • cynthiadmail
    cynthiadmail Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I dont see it , but as far as feel it. Its like small little moments that you forget because you want more. Like fitting into clothes better but in my head I still look big as I was when I started.
    Not getting winded as I am working out, But when I miss a workout I just cut myself up for not getting to the gym even thou I did something like mow the grass.
    We are our own worst enemies I think when we dont like what we see when we look into the mirror. Its a hard habit to break when you had all your life with these thoughts. It's like I dont even think the bullies that --->tried<--- to put me down hurted me as much as I did myself. All I can do for myself is not give up on myself until I do feel good about myself. One day it will come I dont hate myself as much as I used to so I can say it does get better over time, the more I am better to me, the better I feel about me.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 70 pounds and still can't "feel" it. Some days I kind of can see it in the mirror, but I'm way more critical of my body now than I ever was before (maybe because I tended to avoid looking at myself then). I compare old and new pictures and try on my old pants if I need to be convinced/reminded of my progress.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I didn't start to see a difference until I lost the first 40 or so pounds. But, I feel a difference in my endurance, strength and health when I lost the first 25 pounds or so, and continue to feel that every time I push myself a bit harder.

For size differences I take monthly pictures so I can compare because pictures will show you differences even if the scale doesn't.

I track my fitness progress more then I do my weight loss, if I'm eating at a deficit and my fitness level is improving the weight will come off.
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Most common problem I would say. Here is my 2 cents:

The higher of a figure you start at, the less you will notice weight loss.

I started at roughly the same number as you last year. Now I'm at 92 kg, your target weight, so in many way I represent your journey! :)

I only felt it when I went below the 100kg mark earlier this year. And I still at 92k sometimes need to look at my old photos to believe that I actually did lose something. My next stop is 80kg where I will settle.

The BEST thing for me was doing some retail therapy. Now I'm wearing slim fit shirts and trousers (check pic :P) and it feels great and everyone notices.

Good luck, you will get there, trust me!
  • wkile76
    wkile76 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I see this is obviously a commonality between many of us. I think it's because we look at ourselves every day in the mirror, so we don't see all the gradual changes, but as has been mentioned in comments before me, if you take a pic of yourself now and compare it side by side with a pic of you before you started this journey, I am sure you'd notice the changes. I just passed 190 days logging on this site, and I'm down 20 lbs, and I can finally see some changes in my body in the mirror. One of these days soon, you'll just wake up and see it. But until then try the pictures method and then you will know :) Congrats on your progress so far.
  • PinkMartiniPls
    Options

Are you exercising? I never 'notice' weight loss if I am not exercising but when I am, I can notice even a five pound loss. If you haven't started an exercise regiment yet, it may be a good time to do so.

Good luck!
  • simonc14
    simonc14 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Stick with it, you're doing really well! I started in a similar position to you at 244 lbs, and i'm now at 203 lbs. You've lost 25 lbs, which is significant, and it will be showing for sure, but there's still a good way to go. I look at myself and still see more to come off. i guess we all get a little self-critical and want to see a better result.
  • gabrielpm
    gabrielpm Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you, all, for all the comments! I guess subjective self-assessment will be a problem like that. Hopefully I might get a better sense of what did or did not happen by talking to people who haven't seen me in a few months.