Baked Eggs

Options
Raddichio
Raddichio Posts: 163 Member
Several weeks ago I started thinking about trying to bake eggs instead of frying them. I recently got a new gas cooktop with higher BTU burners and, for some reason, I've had trouble adapting to cooking eggs on it. DH is very picky about his eggs---he likes them over medium, with the egg yolks cooked to a gelatin-like consistency (not runny, but not fully cooked). Frankly, I like them that way, too, but I don't really mind if the yolk is a tiny bit runny. This requires constant watching on the cooktop and, for some reason, it's become more of a challenge with the new cooktop. An added advantage of baking, I thought, would be eliminating the small amount of butter/canola oil I use in the pan to cook the eggs (although the amount was negligible and I'm certainly not eliminating all oils from my daily intake).

Anyway, I decided to investigate baked eggs. I found a few references to cooking them in muffin pans, but it seemed like that would produce little hockey pucks. Some people said they had a terrible time getting them out of the pan.

I ended up using a muffin top pan, which I lightly sprayed with some vegetable oil. For our eggs, I cook them 8 minutes, then I puncture each egg yolk with a toothpick and cook for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes longer. I end up with essentially over-medium eggs, only better. They come out perfectly by running a soft spatula (the type you might use to fold egg whites into a batter) around the edges and lifting them out. Clean up was a breeze. An added plus is that, while they are baking, I can make whatever else we are having with our eggs and don't need to hover over them to make sure they cook properly.

Replies

• RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Yep I've been doing this for ages! Great way to make breakfast sammiches too! ????????????
  • Raddichio
    Options
    I like breakfast sandwiches, too. I made a couple eggs for lunch the other day and had them on an English muffin with a slice of turkey bacon---very satisfying.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    What temperature do you bake them?
  • Raddichio
    Options
    Sorry--I left out the obvious! I bake at 350 degrees. I'm going to try to put in a link to the pan I use below:

http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Metallic-Non-Stick-Original-Muffin/dp/B003YKGRBY/ref=dp_ob_title_kitchen
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I am definitely going to try this. I have read that you can bake whole eggs in the shell too, like hard boiled eggs. Have you tried that?
  • Raddichio
    Options
    No, I prefer the method where you put room temperature eggs in a pan, cover with cold water, bring to boil over medium heat, then immediately remove and let stand (covered) for 12 minutes. I haven't tried the oven baked method, but I think it might be useful if you needed to boil a LOT of eggs at one time.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    If you want to use that muffin pan, take a slice of ham - I use Costco boiled ham which comes in at a whopping 25calories per slice and slice it to fit into the muffin tin, crack your egg on top, and bake.

Really good.
  • CeeBee88
    CeeBee88 Posts: 33
    Options
    Thanks for this! I have always struggled with getting baked eggs right for some reason so its good to have someone spell out the basics.

When I was little, my nan would make me baked eggs with a swirl of cream and parmesan when I was sick or miserable. I have been wanting to figure out how to recreate it for breakfast eggs for a while and always ended with it stuck or over cooked.
  • Raddichio
    Options
    Jay, sounds good with the ham. Another perfect breakfast sandwich component

Cee, Glad it helped. Adding Parmesan sounds tasty--not sure how or when I would add the milk, though.