Fitness advice

Options
Hi, I am hoping to get some advice on building muscle rather than losing weight. My rough schedule is below and I think that I need to start focusing more on weight training if I want to see changes in my muscles.

Tues- gym, run 30 mins then weights
Wed- Body Combat class (60 mins)
Thurs- Fighter (which is a boxing/circuit class)
Fri- Body Pump
Sometimes I will go in on a Sat (Combat) or Sun (Run/weights)

When I do spend time concentrating on weights I feel like I am not really sure what I should be doing and I feel really uncomfortable in the weights area at the gym because of it (and yes I have googled but still not feeling confident as to what exercises I should focus on, how many repetitions or how much time a week I should lift weights). Sometimes I stick to the machines which I am more comfortable with, but would it be better to work with a barbell and dumb bells or doesn't it matter at this stage?

Sorry if I sound like a goose lol but I am don't have the $ to spend on a personal trainer and I would love some advice.

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Have you tried reading into some programs? You could look into Stronglifts (free and simple), Starting Strength (great book on technique) or Wendler. See which suits you best then go for it :D

There are also groups on MFP that are dedicated towards lifters...even women specified (like Stronglifts 5x5 Women http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women)

ETA: There is no reason you can't lift or do the same exercises as men, but I put out the women specified part in case you would feel more comfortable talking to women specifically about this subject.
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    Check out the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. Once you get some of the principles from that and browse through the exercises I would suggest trying a novice lifting regimen like Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5. Someone else might be able to weigh in with more expertise, but taking a look at those programs is a great place to start. Just reading the intro to NROLFW will make you feel empowered lol seriously. I downloaded it to read for my girlfriend, and she is now starting SL5x5 with me. She absolutely LOVES it so far. Good luck!
  • Squirrel1601
    Options
    Work on movements that use large muscle groups when starting out such as lat pull down, chest press, leg press. Select weights you can maintain good form for about 12 reps, do 3-4 sets for each exercise. Don’t be afraid to challenge yourself with the weight selection, women often underestimate how much they are capable of.

If you want to move into the free weights, take what you are doing in the Body Pump classes, increase the weight and lower the reps. Use the squats, lunges, bent over rows – all the moves.