Fitbit?

Options
I'm 1.4kg away from buying myself a new weight loss reward and like buying things that'll help me keep going. I've heard a few people on these boards mention fitbit.

Just wondering what they are about from people who actually have actually used one rather than the fitbit website marketing:

How are they different from a regular pedometer?
Are they worth the expense?
Which model to buy?
Or is there a better gadget you'd recommend?

Also should mention I do not own a smart phone, so won't benefit from those functions.

Replies

• ForMyGuys
    ForMyGuys Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How are they different from a regular pedometer?
    ~ It tracks stairs walked, and can help monitor your sleep too. It communicates automatically with MFP instead of you needing to enter everything. If I'm going going going it's great I have 'extra' calories, if I sit on my duff all day it actually deducts calories.

Are they worth the expense?
    ~ For me it is. I got my Fitbit Ultra about 14 months ago. the cover just started falling off. My replacement FitBit One should be shipping tomorrow. I was able to get it for about 1/2 price since it is a replacement. If the One is busted in the next year or two I don't know if I'll be as in love with the product. I want it to last awhile for $100...

Which model to buy?
    ~ That depends on which features you're going to use. I wanted the One.

Or is there a better gadget you'd recommend?
    ~ No, but I didn't look for one....
  • QueenofGuac
    QueenofGuac Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Jawbone Up. I looked at the fitbit flex a lot. I wanted an arm band, because my mom have a pedometer that always falls off and I really don't want to lose mine. I went with the up over the flex because I thought the up looked better (I wear it with a watch and have gotten complimented on it) and the app is better. It doesn't update automatically (like the flex) but I'm not that bothered by it. It does link with MFP seamlessly, which is totally awesome! I'm in love with mine, but I've only had it for a week.
  • rach503
    rach503 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit Zip and it is awesome!!!! It doesn't track sleep, but I don't really need to monitor that. It's the most affordable one and it works really well w/MFP. It's helped me easily see how active I am during the day and has encouraged me to move more to hit the steps goals I set. It's super convenient since you don't have to recharge it, my battery (its like a watch battery) lasted about 4 months before I had to replace it. I had an issue with the clip, a small piece popped off, and their customer service team was super nice and sent me a brand new clip for free! : ) I highly recommend it!
  • ramblinritz
    ramblinritz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Little ole fitbit zip for me. I love it, my husband has zip and a co-worker purchases one after she seen mine. I prefer the zip because the led screen lets me see the numbers, sync's with computer great. I don't have a lot of stairs and I know I don't sleep well do I don't need those functions. I looked at the up, but at the time it didn't sync with MFP. I don't know if it does now or not. Also the zip runs on a battery that I can purchase at Wal-mart or other local store so I don't have to remember to charge it. I use the zip to keep track of numbers and log my foods on MFP. The fitbit site doesn't have the food database the MFP does.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit Zip. Didn't cost much, is easy to use, and it really is a good motivator, as well as being interesting!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit zip model. It doesn't have all the features of the flex or one, but it's more like the budget friendly model.

"How are they different from a regular pedometer?"
    - It calculates your BMR based on your height/weight/age/gender so that it can give you a more accurate calorie burn reading. I don't know of any other "pedometer's" that do this.
    - Syncs with MFP. It will add positive adjustments on days your more active and take away calories on days when your not very active.
    - Flex model is water proof. It can be worn while swimming and in the shower.
    - Both Fitbit One and Flex have the ability to track your sleep patterns.
    - One model can track stairs climbed.
    - Both One and Flex are rechargeable.
    - Zip model needs a battery, but I've had mine since the end of April this year and I haven't needed to replace the battery yet. In fact just checked the fitbit dashboard and it still has the battery level as "High".

"Are they worth the expense?"
    - It was definitely worth it for me. I love it and only take it off to sleep/shower. I was going to get a One, but my husband got me the Zip as a gift. All the information I was able to gather from it, prompted my husband to go out and by one for himself. It motivates us both to move more and showed me how inactive I really was. I've heard that their customer service is amazing as well.

"Which model to buy?"
    - Depends on what your looking for. Each model offers something a little different.

"Or is there a better gadget you'd recommend?"
    - Not really, but there are others out there. I think Fitbit is best if you are on a tight budget.
    Other devices:
    - Basis Watch : Activity Tracker with skin sensors and HRM (24/7 HR tracking) $199
    - Jawbone Up: Bracelet Activity Tracker that requires a smartphone to view data
    - Bodymedia : Activity Tracker worn on upper arm, uses skin sensors, requires monthly subscription to view data
  • love2ipod
    love2ipod Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I absolutely think the Fitbit is the greatest motivational tool I've ever Owned. I love mine so much I have convinced about seven different people to get one and use it faithfully. The cheapest one is perfectly fine you don't need the expensive one. The customer service is absolutely amazing.
  • okishkash
    okishkash Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit One. I got mine in April and I love it.

How are they different from a regular pedometer? - Not much different from a pedometer in that it tracks steps. But it also tracks stairs and sleep. The App is free with wireless sync to the fitbit. It also syncs to MFP. Exercise is sent to MFP and calarie intake is sent back to the fitbit. The fitbit shows calorie burn, miles, and tracks weight. Another feature is friends. The App lets you compare 7 day step total with your friends. I find that a great motivator.

Are they worth the expense? - For me it was. I bought it 13 weeks ago when I started this journey and am so much more active than before. The device is all that you pay for, everything else is free.

Which model to buy? - I got the fitbit One. I did not want it to be visible.

Or is there a better gadget you'd recommend? - I did some limited research online. I bought what I liked best.
  • love2ipod
    love2ipod Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Because lots of great information, And lots of research on all the different types, About the Fitbit one. My husband and coworkers use the zip , which is perfect for most people. It is amazingly accurate. And I promise it will surprise you have quickly you get addicted to it.
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Have used the one for a few months now & I can't say anything negative about it, yes it is a pedometer but a very special one that links with my phone, PC & MFP without any input from me at all.

It adjusts data with MFP all the time so the only thing I need to log in MFP are my food & bike rides but as long as you log in the start times the fitbit knows that it was a ride so adjusts the data. I find the sleep monitoring very interesting & over time I can see where restless nights tie in with stress illness etc, it's great to have all that data to hand if you like that sort of thing.

I love it
  • kirstydevine
    Options
    I've just bought a FB Flex this week. So far so good. Finding it very motivational. Love everything techie.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbut One and I LOVE it!!! I use it for weight maintenance and it's spot on to the calorie - I stay the same weight. Would absolutely thoroughly recommend.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I used to have the One until it got a tad wet in the washing machine....

replaced it with the Zip because I found the concept of the fitbit brilliant but couldn't justify the extra money to replace the One - except that I'm always climbing scaffolding so the stairs would have been a good target.

I like the way I can clip it to my bra and forget it's there (to the extent that I washed it.....).

It embarrasses my friends when I attempt to read the steps in public.....

my phone doesn't sync to it, but I have the app anyway and like to look ove the weekly averages.

I use the website to see my progress - the key thing I like on the website is the graph and details showing the different rates of activity - ie. very active, lightly active. My goal is always to try and inrease the amount of time I am VERY active and this is easy to read.

Th fact that it is a permanent record of your daily steps is great for me. An old fashioned pedometer doesn't do that (some record for a week) but it is the graphs I like the best.

I have a few 'friends' with fitbits and I have found myself running around the house so as to beat them on steps.....

I don't particularly make reference to the calorie side of things, but that's my choice. When I do log, I log on MFP.
    go for it. It will be money well spent.
  • coffee4me57
    coffee4me57 Posts: 195
    Options
    I have the Zip and love it for the same reason others have mentioned.
  • jenniferleehenson
    jenniferleehenson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been debating the same thing. My trainer recommends the Fitbit over other brands but I cannot decide between the ONE and the FLEX. I love the idea of wearing it like a watch but the reviews show that the ONE is more accurate. I really want the FLEX so I have been waiting to see if the reviews get better with time.
  • marinemom93
    marinemom93 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have the flex and I love it!
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I recently decided to buy a fitbit and had to decide between the versions. Did I want the Zip because of the price, the Flex for the water resistance or the One for the stairs.

In the end I bought the Fitbit One because I liked that I could hide it. The Flex looks very similar to those plastic bracelets people wear to support different causes, and I was worried if I got dressed up the flex would look out of place, where the One I can clip it to my bra and no one is the wiser! I wear the One 24/7 unless I am swimming or in the shower and I use those times to charge it.

I love my Fitbit. I am a VERY sedentary woman with 100+lbs to lose, and I LOVE that I can track how active I am on any given day. My fitbit has got me off my butt and moving so much more than any simple pedometer could because it syncs up to the website where I can see an overall picture of where I am in my health goals. MFP sends the food journal over to the Fitbit site and Fitbit sends calories burned over here. So with no effort at all other than logging my meals I can easily balance my exercise with my food choices. If I am more sedentary in a day then I know I have to watch what I eat a bit closer.