Not losing

Options
Hello people,

So I would like you all to please go check my diary and tell me what I am doing wrong. Now, I KNOW that I haven't been eating enough :embarassed: But it always seems that if I up my calories than I'll eat to much protein/fat/sugar (these are the most problematic for me, the ones that ALWAYS come up). Now, I'm not too worried about the sugar because it comes mainly from fuits, but I'm concerned that too much protein or too much fat might be bad for me, so I just lower the calories so I don't go up on these.
I don't know what to eat to get high calories without going up in these values???

Also, I have been exercising quite a lot (added 30DS into my gym/jogging routine), and NOT eating back my exercise calories, however, I do use it to feel better about those values that tend to come up, that are green again after I add my exercise....

And this week, after a lot of eating within the lines and doing a lot of exercise, a very slight gain appeared (0.2kg, nothing major), and the measurements were the same.

Ideas, please?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Consider MFP's default Protien and Fat settings a minimum. I'm always over on these two categories and still losing weight. I don't even bother tracking Sugar (no reason too, unless you have a medical issue that requires it).

Hows your sodium intake?
    How about rest days?

MFP is designed for you to eat your exercise calories back. If your unsure of the amount burned then only eat 50-75% back. Eating to little can be just as bad for your health as eating too much is.

New exercise routines can cause water retention.
    Not drinking enough water can cause water retention.
    Not taking rest days can also cause water retention as well as injury.

My thoughts:

Try eating at least 50% of your exercise calories back for 4 weeks. In terms of fat and protein, make sure your eating at least what MFP has for a goal (it really is okay to go over those two). Also, take at least 1 rest day a week.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    HI,

It is fine to go over on your protein. protein and fats are recommended levels you should aim for not maximum. You do not need to stop eating when you have reached your macros and you still have calories left. If you are not happy eating all of your calories burned from exercise then maybe consider eating half as you need to keep your body fueled. I completely ignore the sugar from fruits as they can easily fill that macro and you really do not need to worry about them.

Your .2kg gain could be water gain from all of your exercise so probably not too much to worry about. You are doing great with your exercise, well done, keep up the good work.
  • naterciarodrigues58
    naterciarodrigues58 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My sodium is pretty low, I have actually been thinking that it might be too low. I drink plenty of water, but I guess I could work on drinking more water. And I have been having the weekends off the exercise, but I'll start having just one day off. And I'll fight that urge to not see red numbers on the log :ohwell:
  • naterciarodrigues58
    naterciarodrigues58 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You are doing great with your exercise, well done, keep up the good work.

Thank you, needed to hear that so much, my body is aching all over from 30DS and I just got so disappointed that the scale didn't reflect my efforts :cry: But I think I might haven't given it enough time ;)

Thanks for the reply!
  • changergirl
    Options
    As others have said, don't worry about going over the protein and fat goals that MFP has set for you. In fact I'd recommend changing the percentages. If you go to Goals and do a custom setup you can put in whatever percentages you want. I've set mine up as 50% carbs, and 25% for fat and protein. MFP only had me set up for 15% protein, which isn't enough for me.

If you do the custom set-up you don't have to worry about your numbers turning red when they are still within a healthy range.
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    To me it's really a personal choice and I've felt so much better since changing the way I eat. I always try to eat more protein daily and fresh fruit, veggies and healthy fats. I stay full longer and just generally feel better. I never worry about the sugar as most of it comes from fruit. Your calories are low, but I can't really say too much about that since I've been way too low for the last few weeks. What I can see you eating in your diary looks great, just maybe up your calories a bit and increase your water. Good luck, I hope this made sense as it's very late for me...:flowerforyou:
  • simlrh
    simlrh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    **Replied to wrong post**
  • ladypenel
    ladypenel Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The only comment I would give is whatever food you eat make sure that not only does it contain the right number of calories, protein etc but it is something you would always eat as many failed weight loss is due to such drastic food choice changes that you slip back into bad ways and the weight piles on plus more (voice of experience I'm afraid!!!). Good advice from many posters here re your situation so don't give up :)
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    :smile:

30Ds is brilliant to see quite a quick difference in both stamina and shape. Sometimes not so quick with the scale as you are working this muscles (aching muscles ) all the time. Are you having a rest day, it does not need to be done in 30 days and it is good to give those aching muscles a rest. Have you taken measurements? That is a lovely way to note the changes especially when you you can not personally see them. The tape measure does not lie, our eyes and the scale, well, lets say they can be temperamental haha.........

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: