What are you hoping to achieve?

Options
This has me interested because I like to be fit-slim which for me is slim and nicely toned but without carrying too much muscle definition or building of muscle. It's what I like and it suits my frame, other people look fabulous with definition and built up muscles, I don't.

I'm now at the right weight but I need to gain a bit of lean mass (I need to put the nutrients back into my bones post baby and breast feeding) and tone up the remaining flab.

I think being healthier is a goal for everyone, but I am interested in peoples physical goals? What camp do you fall into?

-Build muscle, all the way
-Super toned, with nice definition
-Toned and fit but not too fit
-Slim but not necessarily toned or that fit
-I don't care/don't know/can't think about the finished product until I'm closer
-Other?

Replies

• jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options

Somewhat a mix of the three. Probably super toned being the primary

Not a total build muscle kind of guy, but I want enough so when I am toned it looks well defined!

I just want defined abs and pecs ;)
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I just want to be healhty..... and phuckin' shredded!
  • celestelovesmoney
    Options
    For myself, I want a drastic change of appearance!

I am considered obese. I am 5'5 and 250lbs, all my life I have been on the plus size so this has been an ongoing struggle which I finally hope to accomplish given all of the resources available that I can utilize. What I want to do for starters is to lose 100lbs! I want to make it to 150lbs, I don't want to be really skinny or thin, but I want to be just right aka "thick".

I want to achieve this because I want a different self-image and form of self-confidence. I want to actually be considered attractive. Being fat just totally nullifies any beauty that I thought I had. I want a boyfriend, I want to be desired. I want to be desired by myself. As pathetic as it may sound to some, for someone who doesn't get that a lot, it does mean a lot. I also want to be healthy and mobile. I want to do things with my life that I felt that I could not do before.

Being on the plus size, I feel that I can't really be who I want to be and that is what brings me down so much. I want to be normal. And that is exactly what I want to achieve with my pursuit of weight loss.

/ends semi sob story.
  • DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this as a lifestyle change, Its also for my health, I am a diabetic, I want to loose weight and get fitter, but ultimately keep my blood glucose and blood pressure down.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you can be super fit but still over weight as well...
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Somewhere between:

Super toned, with nice definition

I am doing this for general well being, but it would be nice to be really hot! I would like to get to a level were I workout 3-4 times a week to maintain how I look and feel. I certainly don't want to live in the gym, but of course this may change as I do.
  • naterciarodrigues58
    naterciarodrigues58 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I want to stop giving excuses to myself and pretend I'm ok with my body. I want to stop telling myself I'm not the active type, when I actually know, I really am! I love working out, I'm very active, and really laying in bed all day makes me depresses. So why did I do it for so long, I have no idea, but not anymore!!

I want to be an exemple for the children I will have some day, I want to be able to teach them how to be healthy, and active, and enjoy the food they love with moderation, I want to be able to play outside with them, I want to do for them what no one did for me: teach them to eat properly instead of telling them "stop eating, you're getting fat".

I want to go to the beach with friends and actually feel good with my body instead of hiding away.

I want to wear smoking hot dresses for a night out and look great, and have great pictures.

And finally, the one that make me start all this.... I WANT TO LOOK GREAT IN MY WEDDING DRESS :D
  • Th3stral
    Th3stral Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    celestelovesm - it doesn't sound pathetic at all. You should be able to feel good about yourself and if loosing weight helps you get there then there is nothing wrong with that at all!

DMicheleC - I have pancreatic problems so I sympathise fully. I find the leaner I am and the lower GI I eat the better I feel so I'm with you all the way on that one!

TavistockToad - I've no doubt about that, but is that what you'd like to achieve? Your goal is to be overweight (by overweight I assume you mean too much body fat rather than heavy because of well developed musculature) but fit?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I think a 270lb+ deadlift and squat would be a pretty fine achievement, which is a little over 2x my bodyweight, but when I get there I expect my bodyweight to have gone up, so I'd expect myself to be able to lift more than that.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

-I don't care/don't know/can't think about the finished product until I'm closer
    -Other?
    \

Imma need visual aids for these. All the way? Nice definition? Not too fit? These sound mighty subjective to me.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    When I started losing weight I just wanted to be "not-fat" and had my eye on a certain number on the scale.

Then I realized that I wanted to be fit. Working towards this goal resulted in surpassing that original scale number, and also started to reveal muscle as my bf% dropped - I found I rather liked the muscles, and decided I wanted to get stronger.

So I started working those muscles, and they responded by getting stronger, and becoming even more visible - which I REALLY liked. Now I want to be fit and strong and to build more visible muscle mass and couldn't give a fig about the number on the scale.

The wonderful thing about this whole process is that goals can change along the way :)
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I want to be fit, have muscle definition and be in a healthy range of body fat. I'm thinking 24% or something like that. I want to look and feel good about myself :)
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Toned and fit. I don't think there's any such thing as "too fit," but I'm unwilling to put the time and effort into exercising all the time and eating "perfectly." I respect people who have the discipline to do it, so long as they're not boring about it.

I want to be healthy. I'm often around older people who can't get around very well and are on all kinds of medications. Although everyone gets something in the end, arguably, these folks might be more mobile if they'd taken better care of themselves earlier. They were fairly or very athletic when young, and thin. They didn't make the necessary changes when the pounds started to pile on.
  • Th3stral
    Th3stral Posts: 93 Member
    Options

-Other?
    \

Imma need visual aids for these. All the way? Nice definition? Not too fit? These sound mighty subjective to me.

Of course it's all mighty subjective and visual aids are pointless as with different body shapes and different abilities to respond and tone will can give people different looks at the same levels of development/fitness. I offered up some ideas so people understood where I was coming from re what they are hoping to achieve. I just want to know for fun what people are hoping to achieve rather than running a scientific experiment. Loosely, what are you hoping for? I want to know what dream destination you see for yourself as you progress through your own MFP journey. I want to be toned and fit, but not so fit that I can run a full marathon, skip up a mountain or complete 500 press ups one handed with a child sat on my back! Just what would be a normal everyday fitness level for the things that I do with myself.

cmeirun - I love that you can change what you want too. It's good to have a goal to work towards, but it's so nice to be able to get there and think that you like where things are going enough to carry on/up the workout!

naterciarodri - I was the best I've ever been at my wedding and I totally treasure those wedding photos. Sounds like you are well on the path to letting out the inner you!
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Right now my goal is to shed the pounds and see some progress in my health. As someone with diabetes,high blood pressure and cholesterol I really need to focus on dropping to the safe zone ,but yes ultimately in doing this I would love to see the musle toning taking place.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Dream destination? Well I want to be strong. Strong as hell. I'm talking crush man's skull between thighs like sparrows egg strong. Barring that I would settle would being able to lift the real heavy big girl weights and having a lean and muscular appearance.

But mostly the sparrow egg thing.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I want to be fit, have nothing jiggle when I move and be not too tiny. I still have some flubby bits but am starting to feel puny size-wise. So, for me this means getting more muscular while further lowering bodyfat %.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Big , proportioned and shredded to shreds of shred .
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I just want to be the best that I can be. Not idea of the ending results but it include a boatload of muscles.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance-my goals right now are:

-continue to maintain without gaining. There's a 95% failure rate with long term weight loss success. I'm determined to be part of the 5%
    -run my first 5K (October). Training now and really enjoying this running thing
    -continue my strength training program (Mark Lauren's plans)

I almost have my idea body now-flat, tight stomach, my 'chicken wing flaps' under my arms are gone (thank you Mark!), and my butt is the smallest its ever been (went from a size 14 jean to a size 4 and can now wear size 2 shorts). I also love how firm my calves are and how much definition my back has. The only thing left is a bit of squish on my outer thighs. I'm pear shaped and knew this would be the last thing to go. The running is already helping though, as well as the strength training.