Gaining weight!!!

Hi guys!

I'm sure similar posts have been here before, but, this is the worst morning of my life!
I've been back on my diet for 2 weeks now, after taking 2 weeks off for a holiday, the first week back it was great! I lost just over 10 pounds in 6 days, BUT I weighed myself this morning (a week later) I've put on 8 pounds! I have no idea why, my diet was the same as last week, if anything I've been training more! Just so you all know, I try to eat under 1000 calories a day, and I also walk 3 miles a day too! I have already lost over 50 pounds, but I don't think my diet is working as well for me now, I will continue training and walking as normal. Has anyone got any ideas why I've put weight on this week though????

Thanks,
Rose x

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Troll.
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Only key thing I notice really is that 1000 calories is really low, you should be able to eat more than that.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Strong first post OP.

Not saying I believe this but if I did! I'd say A.Your scale is borked or B. You imagined you lost 10 pounds and really it was 2 (which is reasonable for a two week period) or C. ...That's actually all I've got.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    12875d1366836943-trollspray.jpg.html
  • RoseeRL
    RoseeRL Posts: 7
    Wow, what lovely people!
    I can promise you I am no 'troll'
    Weather I read the scales wrong (that would be totally embarrassing because i got very happy last week!) or what, I am heavier this week then I was last, I still can't get my head around it!!!
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    I understand the whole troll this, really I do. I also find some of them funny, but why MFP? What fun is that?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

this is the worst morning of my life!
    I've put on 8 pounds!

a couple of weeks ago a relative of mine dropped down dead in front of me... massive heart attack... THAT was a bad morning

in the grand scheme of things what you're describing is NOT a very bad day morning at all.....
  • Achrya

this is the worst morning of my life!
    I've put on 8 pounds!

a couple of weeks ago a relative of mine dropped down dead in front of me... massive heart attack... THAT was a bad morning

in the grand scheme of things what you're describing is NOT a very bad day morning at all.....

perspective.gif
  • RoseeRL
    I was trying to add a bit a humour, I didn't mean it in a serious way!

Why does everyone think I'm a troll?? If I've given people that imagine I'm really sorry!
    I seriously thought I did, I even logged it! And when I weighed myself this morning I couldn't believe it!
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Hi guys!

I'm sure similar posts have been here before, but, this is the worst morning of my life!
    I've been back on my diet for 2 weeks now, after taking 2 weeks off for a holiday, the first week back it was great! I lost just over 10 pounds in 6 days, BUT I weighed myself this morning (a week later) I've put on 8 pounds! I have no idea why, my diet was the same as last week, if anything I've been training more! Just so you all know, I try to eat under 1000 calories a day, and I also walk 3 miles a day too! I have already lost over 50 pounds, but I don't think my diet is working as well for me now, I will continue training and walking as normal. Has anyone got any ideas why I've put weight on this week though????

Thanks,
    Rose x

The worst morning of your whole life? If that's the worst you have got, I want your life.

You need to gain some perspective !
  • RoseeRL
    Ok , maybe my humour doesn't come across well on here, so i will apologise for that too!!
    Really didn't think I'd get this much hate off one post, I feel like a right idiot! All week I've been feeling pretty good about myself because I genuinely thought I lost a decent amount of weight, and to find out this morning that in fact I actually didn't, wasn't the nicest of feeling! I'm sorry of I've given anyone the imagine that I'm a troll or what ever, but take this how you want!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Ok , maybe my humour doesn't come across well on here, so i will apologise for that too!!
    Really didn't think I'd get this much hate off one post, I feel like a right idiot! All week I've been feeling pretty good about myself because I genuinely thought I lost a decent amount of weight, and to find out this morning that in fact I actually didn't, wasn't the nicest of feeling! I'm sorry of I've given anyone the imagine that I'm a troll or what ever, but take this how you want!

So measure and take pictures, not rely on the scales. plus its not fat you have put on, so theres no point worrying about it anyway. drink lots of water and weigh yourself tomorrow, and i bet it will magically have gone again!

oh, and edited to add, eat more!
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Just in case you aren't a troll.. you need to start reading the forum a little before you post and then you would realise why you are getting this grief.

Do a search for 1200 calorie and also look at anything that talks about water weight.

The long and the short of it is that unfortunately you didn't lose 10lbs however on the upside you didn't gain 8lbs either. What happened was you lost 2 pounds in two weeks which is really good result....so hope your morning starts to feel better.
  • Achrya

I think I feel guilty now. Not sure what to do with these emotions.

That said you lost two pounds in two week. That's great. Don't stress the other stuff.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Best guess is that your scales are broken!

My weight can flucuate 5lbs in a day or 8lbs over a week - if you get discouraged because you don't see a regular weight loss you would be better finding another way to track progress. Photos or measurements perhaps?

By the way 1000 cals is very low - apart from being difficult to get adequate nutrition it is completely unecessary to deprive yourself to lose weight successully. It's also counter-productive in the long term (muscle loss, metabolic adaption, learning good habits for life).

Suggestion:
    Put away your scales for a month.
    Go back to your settings and reset your goals to a small weekly loss (you don't look like you have much to lose from your profile photo so max 1lb/week loss).
    Log all your food accurately as possible.
    Eat foods you like in smaller portions, don't eat "diet" foods.
    Get a mix of cardio, strength and just general activity - and eat those exercise calories back.

Learn from an old fart, I've done the yo-yo dieting - it doesn't work. Make small changes until they become a habit.
  • RoseeRL
    I use MFP day in day out just to track how many calories I am eating, and to add exercise,I've been doing this for just over a year I've never posted on forums before , but thought I'd just see what advice was out there, I'd make a pretty boring troll! I'm sorry if you all think otherwise. But anyway, thanks for the advice guys , at least I didn't gain 8 pounds haha :-)
  • RoseeRL
    Thank you! That was really helpful, I think I am getting a bit too scale happy at the moment!
    But thanks for the pointers!
  • amberleigh81181
    amberleigh81181 Posts: 6 Member
    I also would fluctuate when coming back on to diet mode after a break. Your first week is probably water weight that was lost and then your body evening its self out the second week. Also another thing I have noticed is that I do gain weight before my period. It used to freak me out but with tracking everything I started noticing a pattern. One last thing is your calorie intake is putting your body into starvation mode. You shouldn't go under 1200 calories a day. Hope this helps.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    1. Water weight
    2. 1000 cals is way too low and will do more harm than good.
    3. Have patience.
  • Rilzy
    Rilzy Posts: 59 Member
    Don't trust the scales too much. They are not always the most reliable. Very likely that most of the "weight" was water weight that you thought you lost and could be that some of the weight showing up is water weight as well. I must say though, 1000 calories is way to little especially if you exercise. Your body might have entered starvation mode. You might want to try to eat at least 1200 cals.