Cancer - 5K Race for Life

Options
Y2KBABE
Y2KBABE Posts: 14 Member
Hi All,

I'm doing this on Sunday, I'm looking to see if anyone has done it before ?

Any tips ? Advice ?

What should I eat the day before, for breakfast on Sunday ?

Many thanks in advance

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing this is your first 5k?

If so, relax and have fun. Pick up your race kit (bib, timing chip etc) the day before (if you can) and layout your gear, that way you're less likely to forget something in the morning. Don't forget sunglasses, a hat and sunscreen.

From a nutritional point of view there's no need to eat anything special, in fact you want to stick to foods that you're familiar with - just eat regularly. Drink plenty of water the day before the race, especially if the forecast is for warmer than average weather.

You probably want to eat your breakfast at least 2 or 3 hrs before the start time, personally I can't stand running with food in my stomach. Again, no new foods - a bagel & peanut butter or similar should be sufficient.

Focus on having fun & crossing the finish line with a smile on your face!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Race for Life was my first ever race and I do at least one every year - I'm up to a dozen or so!

Food and drink has been covered - basically don;t do anything different. It will be hot this weekend - carry water with you. If you get the chance, buy a fist grip runner's bottle, but a normal water bottle will do. There are different start groups - runners, joggers and walkers - choose which will best suit your pace. Stick to the pace you've been doing in training and don't set off too fast. My local course is very hilly; if yours is too, slow right down but don't stop - you'll make up the speed when you do down the other side!

Cool down and S-T-R-E-T-C-H afterwards, wear your medal to show the world what you've achieved, then have a nice lunch, you've earned it!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Mrsshellers
    Mrsshellers Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I did it on Sunday in the scorching heat of London - my advice WATER! Drink loads of it if its hot where you are!

I have 2 pieces of toast before I ran on Sunday and that was all.
  • Kashton2011
    Kashton2011 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Well done for signing up! :drinker:

I ran my first ever 5k in May, also Race for Life and although I thought I would die doing it I have to admit I loved it and will definitely be doing more :happy:

I didn't change anything the day before, eat normally and on the morning I had some breakfast - cereal I think! Take a bottle of water - this will be a life saver; I wore a zippy up hoodie but had to tie it round my waist less than 5 minutes into the race and it wasn't as hot as it currently is so just have something very light on

Best advice - enjoy it. You'll be so proud of yourself when you cross the finish line
  • Y2KBABE
    Y2KBABE Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you all SO much for your advice.

I am at that point where I'm now scared but people who have done it before keep saying, don't worry you can walk it.

This is my first one.

I used to (being over the last 2 years) go to the gym up to 6 times a week but NEVER running, always strength and cardio classes.

2 months ago I fractured my ankle so over the last 2 months I have done NOTHING !!!! This week I have been back to the gym.

1st day running - last 3 mins
    2nd day running - lasted 8 mins
    Last night - lasted 12 min
    (please note that this is continually jogging, obviously I broke down into a walk and waited a minute and went back to jogging) by the third day I had done 3K
    Tonight I'm aiming for 4K and 15 mins (or over) of continually jogging. I'm going to do 4 K no matter how long it takes me and even if I had to walk.
    Tomorrow - NOTHING
    Sunday - lets see what happens.

So far my ankle has not once ached, so I believe it has healed very well.

Thanks again for all your advice xxx