Yoga

Options
Thinking of starting yoga but wondering just how good this is for weight loss and toning?

I am 223lbs at the moment and walk lots and swim a few times a week.

thanks

Replies

• FITIsTheNewPINK
    Options
    For me personally it doesn't cause weight loss, rather helps you to be in good condition for exercise that does. It keeps me limber for jogging and is so very relaxing. I definitely recommend it :)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I think the absolute best thing about yoga is how much more "aware" you are of your body and posture. I occasionally do a group yoga class but found that just 10-30 minutes a day first thing in the morning with my wii fit works wonders. I alternate wii fit with on line Barre 3 classes every morning. If I am traveling, I have a little yoga routine on my ipad that instructs me (there are several, but the ones that let you design your own sequence work the best for me). There are several stores in houston (HEB, Luke's Locker) that have free saturday morning yoga classes. I consider Yoga like I do running/walking.. you can do these activities anywhere for free with minimal $$.

I even do sun salutations while waiting for my coffee to brew. The rest of my exercise is walking and getting my steps in. When the weather cools back down this fall I will start c25k again, and I do have a goal this year to get into good enough shape to last through an adult ballet class (mostly barre, beginner stuff).

I do feel that yoga helps me stretch all my core muscles and thereby I use them all day long better. I have no academic or medical knowledge other than it makes me feel better, and I move more after. I also highly recommend it.
  • Anewdress
    Anewdress Posts: 10
    Options
    I am doing Bikram Yoga (in a hot room) two days a week for 4 weeks now and I notice amazing changes in my body. It definitely helps me to get toned. I did lost a couple centimeters as well. Only 1 kilo so far, but the centimeters are also important!
    And as PKW58 said, it make you more aware of your body and posture!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Birkram yoga is hot yoga, you sweat like the ****ens! Yoga helps me stay limber and pliable, if that makes sense. I know for a fact that it has improved my running, I have great breathing techinique now! It is just one aspect of mind body and spirit that I work on to be well rounded in my quest for fitness/health.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I love yoga. If nothing else it will help with your awareness, peace of mind and general feeling of wellbeing. Stretching helps remove toxins from muscles and it will make you more supple.

I injured my knees running, and the physio said I could still go to yoga classes so I did. It's actually helped speed up recovery I think. I have been going twice a week since January.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's good for weight loss, but it definitely helps me with flexibility and balance.
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I agree that this is very good for toning and 10 1 hr sessions of Windsor pilates actually helped me to lose one dress/pant size, great for joints and muscles, therefore you sleep better , recover better and feel better. IMHO - I have no facts to back myself up. Jennifer Anniston does this to keep in shape and only yoga, she looks amazing for her age.
  • Silvara_11
    Silvara_11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love yoga as well. Not all yoga are equal in calorie burn some are more relaxed and focus on core and meditation which helps with just about every aspect of life but on its own may not burn enough calories.

I do Bikram yoga and I can burn upto 1,000 calories in 90 mins and have lost weight and inches doing it regularly.

However all yoga is a great way to start your weight loss journey.
  • musicteacher40
    musicteacher40 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am by in means the person to tell you if it helps lose weight, since I've been working out for 3 weeks now and haven't lost anything, but I can tell you that I use yoga as my cool down after working out and I find that I have so much better balance due to yoga... Also, I am a musician, primarily a vocalist but flutist as well....my breath control was really getting bad and since I've started working out, my berth control has improved significantly...so much so that when the school year begins in 4 weeks, my choirs and bands will doing some yoga as part of our rehearsals....

I know that if I don't have time for a full workout that I will do a 20 minute yoga session and I feel so much better...
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Yoga is a mainstay for me and is doing wonders for my fitness. It also produces a nice calorie burn. I would encourage you to add it to your routine. I alternate between yoga, walking, and biking for the most part and am pleased with my progress. Good luck..
  • musicteacher40
    musicteacher40 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yoga is a mainstay for me and is doing wonders for my fitness. It also produces a nice calorie burn. I would encourage you to add it to your routine. I alternate between yoga, walking, and biking for the most part and am pleased with my progress. Good luck..

You say a nice calorie burn....how many calories do you say you burn for how long of a workout?