Fitness DVD Presenters

Ok. Well, I just did my first fitness dvd in a long time! And yes I found it difficult to keep up. However, what I found most disheartening was the presenter.

A beautiful, toned, physically fit woman who could clearly do the exercises easily. Watching her jump about and knowing that I couldn't keep up was really distracting, and I found myself tuning out more.

So, why can't there be a fitness series where each week a new segment is released, with a presenter who we could watch get fitter and stronger as we do ourselves? Why not have a presenter who has some weight to lose, and we can share in our weight loss goals?

Anyone ever feel the same? It was just a thought that crossed my mind. Amongst the "stupid peppy twit, get off my screen" :)

Replies

• Lulufifi1994
    Lulufifi1994 Posts: 51 Member
    Oh dear lord I think this all the time, doing videos and hearing "ok, you'll start to feel a little burn now" NOW? A LITTLE? Love I started feeling a lot of burn 10 minutes in. This is why I prefer fitness classes, the instructor can see how you're doing, give more encouragement to those who need it and help with form - a reason I think that I found a lot of exercises tougher before, I wasn't using the proper form so my muscles were having to do wierd things to keep me balanced and moving.
  • EFSewell
    EFSewell Posts: 3
    It doesn't seem that any dvd's are made for the overweight. There are some exercises that I just cant do!

It would be nice to have some that are designed for us who are out of shape and have too much belly fat to do sit ups!
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Depends on the presenter! I prefer American ones, for some reason (I'm from the UK). The British presenters are too...meh. I need over the top American's to shout at me to get me going (therefore, I'm a big fan of Jillian, Shaun T, Billy Blanks etc...).

I also prefer them fit, so I can look at them at think "Yeah, if I keep going I could be like them!" even if that's an unrealistic goal for the actual exercise I'm doing. It's all about motivation!

I've not come across any presenters who annoy me too much (for the UK, Davina McCall is one of the bigger exercise DVD presenters and I can't stand her. She never stops talking.) There was a lady for 10 Minute Solutions, the dance lady, who's a little annoying but OK. Also a US Southern lady for The Firm's Maximum Calorie Burn who's nice in a twee way... "Yeah, that stretch feels niiiiice!" but generally I don't mind them.

If you're looking for presenters or DVD's with more varied levels of fitness, there's a UK presenter called Rosemary Conley. Her DVD's are like the opposite of 'Insanity' - I call them 'Quite Pleasant'. They have a wide range of people doing her DVDs - mostly people who've done her weight loss diets and have lost X number of pounds (in the routines, she usually introduces them - "If you find this move hard, follow Tracy. She's a 30 year old mother of two and has recently lost 3 stone! Well done Tracy!").

Plus, she's in her 60's, so proving you can be fit at any age!

There was also another UK DVD that had women and men of varied sizes too...Y Plan Fat Breaker, or something. It was from the 90's!