Weight Loss Supplements

Options
I know weight loss supplements can be VERY controversial.

I decided to try OxyElite Pro last year and they seem to help with weight loss. Through 3 months of serious trying, I managed to lose 37 lbs. I really feel these pills help me to avoid overeating and they definitely give me more energy!

You're supposed to take them for 60 days, then quit use for 30 days and so on... When I'm not taking them, I feel I don't have control over myself. Are the pills working? I kinda think so, but it could be a mentality thing too!? Idk. Nonetheless, I've seen results while taking them.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thank you!! =))

*** I know the risks - I've researched before use - & still decided to. ***

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eat in deficit + work out = weight loss...

Pills are just a method of lightening your wallet, and fattening someone else's..

when you took them before, did you eat in deficit? If answer is yes, then you know what made you lose weight...
  • jenniferleehenson
    jenniferleehenson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used Phentermine a few years ago and lost a lot of weight. I felt great and had tons of energy. HOWEVER, when I stopped taking them, I, too, felt like I had no control of what I was eating. I gained all of my weight back and then some! I realized that I HAD to have them to succeed. The pills are supposed to only be used to boost the weight loss until you can get yourself accustomed to eating better. They are not supposed to be a long-term solution. This time I have battled with the decision to try the Phentermine again but I know that if I do, I will not be successful in the long run. I have realized that, for me, weight loss is all mental.....
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    OxyElite did jack schitt for me.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    eat in deficit + work out = weight loss...

Pills are just a method of lightening your wallet, and fattening someone else's..

when you took them before, did you eat in deficit? If answer is yes, then you know what made you lose weight...

haha! Yes. I agree. However, I really believe the pills help control my urges to eat.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I used Phentermine a few years ago and lost a lot of weight. I felt great and had tons of energy. HOWEVER, when I stopped taking them, I, too, felt like I had no control of what I was eating. I gained all of my weight back and then some! I realized that I HAD to have them to succeed. The pills are supposed to only be used to boost the weight loss until you can get yourself accustomed to eating better. They are not supposed to be a long-term solution. This time I have battled with the decision to try the Phentermine again but I know that if I do, I will not be successful in the long run. I have realized that, for me, weight loss is all mental.....

Thanks for your input! I know it's a lot of mental. The good thing is that I can get by with eating enough to maintain and get workouts in without taking them. However, since I'm trying to lose a good amount of weight, my MFP daily caloric goal is 1200. Therefore, the pills are helping stay that low.
  • Sagit775
    Options
    I agree that the pills DO curb your appetite and sometimes give you energy and improve your mood, so maybe some of us need something like that to help us along. Also, of course, sensible eating, a good healthy diet and plenty of exercise will always give you great results. I've been checking out http://thebestweightlosssupplements.net .
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options

Thanks for your input! I know it's a lot of mental. The good thing is that I can get by with eating enough to maintain and get workouts in without taking them. However, since I'm trying to lose a good amount of weight, my MFP daily caloric goal is 1200. Therefore, the pills are helping stay that low.

If you would choose something other than 2lbs a week chances are you wouldn't have calories that low.

You can also calculate your TDEE-20% via this link:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I'd be a raving hunger ***** if I was forcing myself to eat under my BMR.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Through 3 months of serious trying, I managed to lose 37 lbs. I really feel these pills help me to avoid overeating and they definitely give me more energy!

I have a feeling your hard work/serious trying had a bigger impact on your weight loss than these "magic weight loss pills."
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Through 3 months of serious trying, I managed to lose 37 lbs. I really feel these pills help me to avoid overeating and they definitely give me more energy!

I have a feeling your hard work/serious trying had a bigger impact on your weight loss than these "magic weight loss pills."

The pills don't work without desire and seriousness. Then again, to be honest, they do. I tried phentermine last year (prescription), and I would literally forget to eat. That's insane. I felt like for the first time in my life I was thinking like a skinny person. I had to remind myself to eat for sustenance. I had to remember "oh, it's 12:00, I guess I should have lunch.." I've never had a day in my life where I "forgot to eat." I think it's part of the mental functions of an overweight person vs. a thin person. Thin people don't think about eating in the same way. These pills made me think like them.

I"m considering trying them again, because I've gained back 10lbs and that' moving in the wrong direction going into the holidays.
  • FJDodd
    FJDodd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I used to take Phentermine and Fluoxitine. They worked for a while, then didn't. At the end of the day, yes it is mental. My doctor (new doctor, not the one that prescribed the diet pills) told me that they also use them as anti-anxiety medicine. Basically you are worried about your weight loss, and you're overeating to cope. These pills, which also contain an appetite suppressant, stop that and allow you to lose weight by taking the stress away. You then follow the "diet plan" that the doctors advise (basically just eating in a deficit) and voila you lose weight. When you come off the anti-anxiety meds, you gain the weight back because once again, you are stress eating. Try to resolve the stress/anxiety issue, and you will no longer need the pills.