pre workout energy supplements

Options
Does anybody have any recommendations for a not too expensive pre workout supplement?

It would be for lifting, not cardio.

I recently started a new job and I am just mentally exhausted by the time I get home. this leads me to feel physically exhausted. It is the kind of energylessness where loading the bat for the warm up sets feels like it should be the entire workout.

I drink coffee all day ( have for years) do the obvious answer of caffeine/ coffee isn't going to work. It really has no effect on me anymore, lol.

Edit - awful autocorrect!

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    C4
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    coffee
  • AnisaMG
    AnisaMG Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I take a .5 - 1 tbsp of cold pressed virgin coconut oil. Sounds gross, but it's not bad - our bodies metabloize it quickly and it gives me the push I need to get through a run at the end of the day. Also taking a vitamin B100 can help too, and I will take a couple extra (I already take 1-2 every morning) if I am planning on really pushing myself.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    coffee

This + Music and a youtube motivational video .
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Just coffee. With a scoop of protein powder :)
  • SarahRea32
    SarahRea32 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i think they are all pretty expensive. I liked Jak3D, but I haven't tried the new version :)
  • SarahRea32
    SarahRea32 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    can you workout in the morning before work? I do because if I left it until after work I'd never go!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    i think they are all pretty expensive. I liked Jak3D, but I haven't tried the new version :)

The version with DMMA is quality
  • AlFreebs
    AlFreebs Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Razor 8 is pretty good. I have a very high caffeine tolerance too, so it is a little on the strong side. If it's after work, I'm usually good with just half a scoop to get me through and not keep me up all night. It's not too expensive - about $35-40 - and lasts a long time (I'm still on the same tub that I bought back in early Feb.). Be careful though, you can develop a tolerance pretty quickly so I try to do without it a week per month.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I take a .5 - 1 tbsp of cold pressed virgin coconut oil. Sounds gross, but it's not bad - our bodies metabloize it quickly and it gives me the push I need to get through a run at the end of the day. Also taking a vitamin B100 can help too, and I will take a couple extra (I already take 1-2 every morning) if I am planning on really pushing myself.
    I like this idea. I use it in my smoothies. Over half of coconut oil is made up of MCTs which metabolize differently from any other fat - they bypass the normal digestion system and go to the liver very quickly where they are turned into ketones. These ketones can serve as an alternate source of energy for your brain.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

It's like drinking a sharknado
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    can you workout in the morning before work? I do because if I left it until after work I'd never go!

This would be my answer, but if that isn't possible, how about something small but carby, like some crackers or nuts or a banana? Or chocolate milk--usually, that's taken after lifting, but it should work before, too, if you are hungry anyway.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/milk-the-new-sports-drink-a-review-research-review.html
    A number of studies have been performed from acute (single drink) studies to longer work looking at lean body mass gain. In one acute study, both fat free and whole milk were shown to improve protein synthesis following training; the whole milk worked better although the researchers weren’t sure why.

Of more interest, milk was shown to be superior to a soy based drink (both drinks contained identical protein, carbs and calories) in terms of lean body mass gains over 3-8 weeks. In addition, not only did the milk group gain more lean body mass, they lost a bit of fat. Of some interest, it was thought that the superiority of the milk was due to its slower digestion compared to the soy (a fast protein). As I detail in The Protein Book, in contrast to recurring beliefs that whey is superior post-workout, research shows that a slow or combination slow and fast protein following training appears to be superior in terms of lean body mass gains.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I have used the Jack 3D micro, I liked it but a friend let me try NO Xplode and I just ordered it because I liked it better.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

i agree...def got me movin. for me though, the "wool sweater" effect was a bit strong.

i enjoy NO xplode 2.0 quite a bit, and have recently been giving BSN's hyperFX a shot.
    i like the hyperFX being ultra concentrated, much like jack3d, but its lacking the creatine of the NO xplode.
    i suppose i could just take creatine as an addition, but just havent.
  • awkwardly8
    awkwardly8 Posts: 10
    Options
    Wow, thank you for all the responses! I have a lot of things to try now. I suppose I'll start with the food options while I further look into and buy some of the supplements.

Failing any of that, I'll just spend the rest of my life in bed and invest in a home nurse to change my chamber pot and roll me over, as I hear bed sores are a *****.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I like c4, however I'm stimulant sensitive, so I find I have a hard time falling asleep at night if I take it. Most days I just drink BCAA's a little before and during my workout and that seems to give me the push I need on the days I don't take c4. c4 is usually reserved for leg day.

As far as the suggestion for working out in the morning, if you're like me, that wont happen, however I know I have to go straight from work otherwise I won't go, so maybe pack a bag and change at your gym to see if that makes the difference.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    The new version doesn't have DMAA in it so imagine it's worthless now.
  • joewtug1
    joewtug1 Posts: 10
    Options
    C4
    this ^^ C4 is the best. i put neurocore by muscletech right behind it.
  • ernestbecker
    ernestbecker Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    here's the thing. Just go! Make it work even if only for 30 minutes. Eat simple carbs before the workout. Fruit juice because the body needs carbs to get through the workout. In time, you'll start to feel great and not exhausted. The body is an amazing machine. Go do it!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Ephedrine + caffeine + yohimbine washed down with a monster ultra