My first 5k

Options
I'm so excited and nervous for my first 5k. It's only 21 days away! That's 3 weeks! I have a bunch of questions.

Right now I can only run 2 1/2 miles. Is it reasonable to think I can run 3.1 miles in 3 weeks?

Should I take a rest day the day before? How far should I run the day before my rest day?

What should I eat before? How long before?

Right now I'm going about 5 mph, am I going to be the last one across the finish line?

What should I wear? The shorts I'm wearing right now are really too short to wear out in "public".

Is it socially acceptable to listen to music?

Do I need to take water with me?

Ok that's a lot of questions. Sorry everyone :flowerforyou:

Replies

• sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Is it reasonable to think I can run 3.1 miles in 3 weeks? Yes...the excitement of the race alone will carry you along. Plus you'll get a little more distance under your belt these next 3 weeks.

Should I take a rest day the day before? I would. But I don't generally run hard on consecutive days. I'm kinda wimpy that way.

How far should I run the day before my rest day? If you're going to run. Do, perhaps, 2 easy miles.

What should I eat before? If it's a morning race... a banana or maybe a piece of whole grain toast with some peanut butter.

How long before? I usually eat 2 hours before a hard effort. I like to run with very little to nothing in my stomach

Right now I'm going about 5 mph, am I going to be the last one across the finish line? You won't be last. You won't be first either, but you certainly won't be last.

What should I wear? The shorts I'm wearing right now are really too short to wear out in "public". Perhaps hit an apparel store and get some "public worthy" running shorts. It's warm this time of year.

Is it socially acceptable to listen to music? Yes. But check the race rules. Some, for "insurance purposes" say you can't wear headphones. And, I'm a rule follower. But I see folks disregard that particular rule ALL THE TIME!!

Do I need to take water with me? Unless you need to hydrate every half mile, no. There should be at least 1, possibly 2 water stops or one stop that you pass by twice.

Go. Have FUN. Don't fret too much. You're going to have a BLAST!!!
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! That's a big help.

It's an evening race 6:35 pm. So I wasn't sure if I should eat supper or not. The kids have to eat before we go.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat anything "big" within 2 hrs of a run. But if you have a go-to quick digesting snack, go for it. You can nail another half mile in 3 weeks. Your daily hydration and fuel consumption should be adequate for the race.
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I agree with sevsmom :) On all of it.

A short suggestion - compression shorts. You can find them at a Sports Authority - I always buy Champion. They are $20. I like them alot-- and wear a longer shirt with them. But, so many shorts bunch up on me.. because of my large thighs. ANd you dont want "the bunch".

Water. I am not sure where you live-- or how hot it will be. But, I usually can run the 3.1 miles with no water-- and just have it ready at the end of the race. You will do great.

Food-- even though its evening.. I would still go with a peanut butter bagel/bread/english muffin an hour or so before you leave for the race. Eat dinner afterwards...

Keep running for the next few weeks. Try to add a little distance each week-- but, dont try to go too far right away-- you will hurt yourself.

And do not run the day before the race. Make sure that is a rest day.

You will do GREAT! I am very excited for you-- as you will have such a great feeling at the end of the race . OH.. and dont worry about being last. You wont be !!
  • Gloriainny1
    Gloriainny1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi: I just finished my 2nd 5k so Ill give you some advise based on my experience.....Note I am not at all a professional. = )

Right now I can only run 2 1/2 miles. Is it reasonable to think I can run 3.1 miles in 3 weeks? You can run your 2 1/2 miles and push for the 3.1.....The goal here is about finishing...You will feel amazing when you do. However, I'm pretty confident by 3 weeks you will be able to run your 5K.

Should I take a rest day the day before? How far should I run the day before my rest day? You can run a shorter distance at a softer pace the day before. And easy run.

What should I eat before? How long before? I hear that toast with peanut butter at least 1 hour in advance is good. I had my toast with a cup of coffee (creamer and 1 sugar included) You don't want a full breakfast.

Right now I'm going about 5 mph, am I going to be the last one across the finish line? This is a great time to focus on yourself not on everyone else. Finishing is your goal!! My first 5k I finished in 50:50..almost 1 hour and 4th to the last person......I just did my 2nd 5K and I did it in 45:50. (8th to the last person)....I'm challenging myself to improve and eventually get below the 30:00 minute mark.

What should I wear? The shorts I'm wearing right now are really too short to wear out in "public". I wear running pants that go to the knee and sweat wicking shirts like the workout ones from Nike. A sports Bra is important for us ladies. Light socks (Modell's sells some great ones" and a good pair of running shoes. Make sure to pull your hair back and out of your face, you are about to break a sweat.

Is it socially acceptable to listen to music? Depends on the event, some are very strict but most 5K's are pretty cool about it. I always have my cell phone in an arm band and listen to music going through my earphones, I also have my app runkeeper that tells me how far I've run and what my speed is. Try it, you'll love it.

Do I need to take water with me? I don't carry water, most events will have water at the 1/2 way point and at the end. Hydrate a lot the day before.....have a little water in the morning. You don't want to get side stitches. Do your 5K and then gulp gulp gulp...!!

Hope this helps.
  • laurasnyder411
    laurasnyder411 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    That's so exciting! I did my first 5k back in october of last year and I found that even though I hadn't run all three miles at once it was a lot easier when I actually got out there. I am not an expert so I don't want to steer you wrong on all of your questions but I can tell you what I did. I ran 2 miles two days before my race, rested the day before and got up early to stretch. You are not going to be the last one across the finish line. There will be plenty of people walking or stopping along the way! I would seriously consider getting some longish shorts (it's really just what you are comfortable in but in my experience I get heat rash if there isn't some sort of fabric to protect the skin because my legs rub together and it's uncomfortable). Those are the only tips I've got! Good luck and have fun!
  • pippywillow
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I feel so much better about it now. I was starting have visions of everyone else waiting for me to be the last one to cross the finish line.

I drove around the route yesterday and it's mostly downhill, or at least flat. Right now I'm running up a pretty good size hill, so I think that will help.

I'm gonna look for new shorts. I want to try them out a couple times before and make sure they don't ride up. I bought new shoes this week so they'll be broken in by then.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    are you running indoors on a treadmill? if so, i recommend that you start running outdoors right now. it is very different then running on a treadmill.

take the next two and a half weeks to train outdoors. rest the 2-3 days leading up to a race. i have a race this sunday, and i'm taking today and tomorrow off. light stretching and walking is the most i would do.

take the next two weeks to learn what you like and don't like about running outdoors. can you use music? the website of the 5k should let you know if you can or can't. some races are very strict on that rule, others not so much.

can you bring water?? i don't know... can you? i am very princess-and-the-pea when i run. if i'm even considering something new on race day, i'll need at least a month to get used to it. do you want to run with a bottle of water in your hand? probably just stay hydrated the days leading up to the race and you'll be okay.

i've never done a race in the evening, so what you eat is up to you. i'd have a normal breakfast and lunch, and maybe a piece of fruit and some toast with peanutbutter as someone else suggested at about 5pm.

good luck.
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    *Right now I can only run 2 1/2 miles. Is it reasonable to think I can run 3.1 miles in 3 weeks?

Yes, but mind you, you don't have to run the whole way. Gabe and I ran then walked in short bursts.

*Should I take a rest day the day before? How far should I run the day before my rest day?

I would just take a nice walk, Make sure you run/walk 5k at some point so you knnow in your mind what it feels like.

*What should I eat before? How long before?

What you eat the day before fuels you for the next day. I'd avoid ruffiage the day before and caffeine the morning of. I usually eat something like a bagel with peanut butter an hour or 2 before :)

*Right now I'm going about 5 mph, am I going to be the last one across the finish line?

NO WAY! I took 45 min to finish my first 5k and I was in the middle in terms of finishers :) HIGHLY doubt you will be last!

*What should I wear? The shorts I'm wearing right now are really too short to wear out in "public".
    I wear yoga pants, a tank and tee. If it's chilly I add a light zip up of some kind I can take off.

*Is it socially acceptable to listen to music?

Check the race rules, Some races forbid it. If it's allowed keep the volume low so you can hear race officials and people.

*Do I need to take water with me?

I'd recommend it as water stations for me are insufficient and I like to sip as I run. The Running Room *or store like it* carry awesome belts to hold water. Mine holds 3 mini reusable bottles and has 2 pouches for my keys/phone. VERY good investment!!!

Best of luck and PM me anytime! I've done a 5k and a 10k so far and am about to do the Warrior Dash.
  • pippywillow
    Options
    I'm gonna have to google warrior dash, that sounds exciting. I'm thinking about doing the Spartan race next year.