Tendonitis and loss of motivation

Options
I am feeling so awful right now.

For the past week and a half my ankle has been hurting and when I went to the doctor a few days ago they confirmed it's tendonitis. I have a referral to physical therapy and have been told to ice it, take lots of ibuprofen, and take it easy.

My usual workout routine is high impact, like step aerobics, kickboxing, HIIT. I wanted to start getting into running. Needless to say those things are not ok for me right now. I have done my research and found that walking, elliptical, and perhaps my spinning classes should be ok. I should be able to do my kettlebells because that doesn't involve impact either. But my ankle has hurt pretty badly each morning, and ached the rest of the day, and when I get home I dn't feel up to going to the gym. Instead I've resorted to eating like crap and doing nothing. Well not nothing. I sit there with an ice pack on my foot.

Anyone had this and how long did it take to get better? What type of exercise did you do during that time?

Replies

• sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I had a tendonitis problem along the top of my foot. The foot dr prescribed orthotics, PT, ice etc. It persisted for a few months. The only exercise I was able to do comfortably was swimming, and it really helped me feel better emotionally.

I had twisted my ankle running through an airport wearing clogs and getting off the escalator the wrong way, which was the original injury. But the pain persisted and persisted. Hindsight being 20/20 though I realized after lots and lots of thought what I was doing wrong: it was the particular way I was planting my feet when using my spinning wheel (substitute any activity you do frequently). I thought and thought about balance, and keeping my body symmetrical, and how best to prevent re-injury, and I would stop spinning at the slightest twinge from that foot. Now I can't feel the slightest problem in that area any longer.

I would suggest swimming, and exercise classes for seniors (don't get your feelings hurt; besides, you'll be the cutest one there!) that involve sitting in a chair, but still moving. If you google Jonathan Roche he has some good "no excuses" workouts that are based in a chair. Also, think of what you can do that won't hurt your ankle. Like, you could probably do knee pushups instead of planks, leg lifts to side front and back, ab crunches and more.

It sucks though, and I hope you get relief really soon!

Don't have a pity party, you'll only get mad at yourself. Look at the positive, what you CAN do, and then do it. Hang in there girl!

/edited to add link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jhFsxW_Q5Y&feature=youtu.be
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The last time I sprained my ankle, it took a year to be back to 100%. I abused it fir the first 6 weeks before finally going to the doctor, though and I'm also nearly twice your age. Soft tissue injuries tend to take around 12 weeks or more to properly heal and I agree, you need to look at how you move to see if there is something in your symmetry or the way you move that is out of balance and contributed to the injury (and, obviously, do whatever you can to correct the root cause)
  • LoreleiEvil
    LoreleiEvil Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have chronic Achilles tendinitis due to my gait. When it flares up, I just have to work around it. Recumbent cycling doesn't tend to aggravate it too much, but the only time it doesn't hurt is in the pool.

Agreed with allshebe.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I had tendonitis in my shoulder for a very long time, years. Even when it wasn't flared up, I could still feel it all the time, and doing things like propping my arm up on the car window, the level needed for reaching the ATM machine, or putting that arm around someone was impossible without pain. I took up strength training and building up the muscles made it disappear. I went on vacation for 3 weeks and didn't do any resistance training, and it started coming back again. Started training again and it went away within a week.

Ask your PT what exercises will be best for strengthening that area once the flare up is over. Perhaps resistance bands? I don't know.