Really, 1200 calories? Advice/Plan needed

Options
I am back on MFP after a break. Back in March I successfully lost 5lbs of the last 10lbs I wanted to lose, then I fell off the wagon. (I had previously lost 30ish on my own.) In the last few weeks I have gained most of those 5lbs back. Two days ago I went back on MFP and it is saying to lose a lb a week I have to eat 1200 calories. I am starving all the time!!!

I am 5' 3'', 128 lbs, 32 years old. I have 25ish% BF. My stomach is my problem area as I have two 2 year olds and a 3 year old.

In general, I eat pretty healthily with mainly chicken breasts, veggies, some fruit, whole grains. The last couple of weeks I have just splurged too much. I drink well over 100oz of water a day.

I go to the gym 3-4 days a week. At the gym I do 30 minutes on the elliptical upping the resistance every mile and averaging 3-3.5 miles. Then I run 10-12 minutes on the treadmill completing about 1.25 miles. After the cardio I do hand weights (10lbs) and stretching for about another 20-30 minutes. I am missing a bone in my wrist, so I do not think that heavy lifting is an option. I heavy lifting is an option.

I really want to get closer to 120lbs or 20% BF. I don't know how to do it, though. I don't think I deal with my kids eating only 1200 calories.

Edited to Add: My profile pic is where I was before I gained the 5lbs back. I have a small frame so the 5lbs make a big difference.

Replies

• lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i hear ya. i am 5.2 ft and i was around 20% body fat too. I eat min 1400 cals a day on a non exercise day and up to 1700 on a exercise day. i kinda got near my weight goal but i still had higher body fat then i wanted so, i started strength training. I am currently doing clx ( chalean extreme) love love love the program! I was told i needed to be around 110 lbs to have 20% body fat, so i sure hope not. because i don't' want to be that small just lean...and defined!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    With about 10 pounds to go, set your weekly goal to lose a half pound a week. Aim for higher protein than MFP suggests, eat your exercise calories, incorporate strength training, and track your progress through photos, how clothes fit, and measurements instead of the scale.
  • WouldRuin
    WouldRuin Posts: 2
    Options
    Your 'goal calories' for the day is what you eat minus how much you burn off from exercise, so in your case on gym days you could eat 1700kcal, add your cardio into the 'exercise' section and it should then bring you down to your goal of 1200.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can either eat back your exercise calories or I would suggest doing the TDEE -20% which puts you around 1500 calories daily with macro's at 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. This should help you achieve 1g of protein and .35g of fats per lb of lean body mass.

Also, cut out the treadmill and replace it with some heavy lifting. At least you can maximize strength gains as opposed to this 10 lb stuff. Look for a program like stronglift 5x5 or beginner lift 5x5. Or you can look on websites like www.nerdfitness.com or even www.bodyrock.tv to find a good weigh training program. WT and protein will help you maintain as much lean body mass as possible which will give you a lean and tight body.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    1200 is with no exercise. You can probably easily eat 1600 or 1700 calories every day with all the exercise you're doing, depending on how active you are the rest of the time.

I suggest doing some lifting too though.
  • nat8199
    nat8199 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!

Calories: I do eat back my calories on days that I work out, but the days that I do not the 1200 kills me.

Protein: This time around on MFP I have been hitting 100g of protein a day. I added in a low carb protein shake to get me there.

Lifting: I currently go some of the moves in a 5x5 (I just googled it) using my two 10 lb hand weights. I guess a bar is 40-44 lbs, do you think this will be to heavy for me? I do about 60-100 squats/lunge variations and 2 sets of 20 rows, etc. Because of my wrist issues I cannot rotate my right wrist palm facing me, which is the correct position for the barbell row. I think that I can adapt similar moves using maybe two heavier hand weights? What do you think?
  • nancykabat
    nancykabat Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Do you log calories for things like gardening, dog walking. That helps me. Hang in there and be patient. I would kill to weigh what you weigh :-):flowerforyou:
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I was starved on 1200 cals at the beggining now my stomach has shrinked to the point I need to force myself to eat that much. Patience, in 2-3 weeks your body will adapt to the new regim.

Hint: cut soda, all juices, sweets, salty fat snacks etc. I prefer giving them up to be hungry. Some people can't do it. Your choice.
  • hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    With about 10 pounds to go, set your weekly goal to lose a half pound a week. Aim for higher protein than MFP suggests, eat your exercise calories, incorporate strength training, and track your progress through photos, how clothes fit, and measurements instead of the scale.

I was also going to suggest 1/2 lb per week. Will also make it easier to transition smoothly to maintenance when you get there.