Calling all runners!!

Options
So I am not much of a runner- more of a biker/power walker- but have found myself wanting to jog on some of my 5 mile walking days. I have issues with my joints- many times my knees swell up just a few minutes into getting out in the Houston humidity! I am wondering what the best running shoues are that would offer the best support for me? I am not looking for top of the line multi-hundred dollar shoes- looking for relatively affordable with best support!

Replies

• __delete
    __delete Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Go to a specialty store if you have one near you. It's totally worth it. I did and got someone to give me guidelines on the proper type of shoe to wear, rather than just buying one because it was on sale.

It's made all the difference, I actually, almost, like running.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I'm in Houston too! I have been starting my runs around 615am to avoid the horrible heat! I have yet to find the proper running shoes. I got a pair of $100 Nike running shoes a few weeks ago in a 1/2 size bigger than my normal size, to find out that they are probably too small because I'm getting blisters. So I am wearing older sneakers. I suggest going to Luke's Locker ( I think there is one in the Woodlands) because apparently they will give you a personal recommendation based on your feet. Other than that I say Nike! I would also take some Aleve right after you run. That helps too.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Your shoes have to be the right ones for you based on your feet and how you run. I will tell you that a good pair of shoes really does make a difference.

I went to the specialty store and tried a pair they made my feet hot so I returned them, the next pair made my calves feel tight so I returned them and the third pair was the charm. They make me feel light on my feet, no heat or calf pain.

The good thing about going to a running store is that they know you have to try them out so they will return them as long as you haven't worn them out so you are able to find what works for you.

I too am getting much closer to liking running :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    There is no way we can answer this. All the major brands make good shoes, and there are more and mroe specialty brands getting into the running shoe game.

What makes a shoe good or bad is how it fits, and every foot and every stride is different. You have to take the time to find the shoe that fits you best.

Ideally that means going to a running store and getting fitted. Most stores I've been in have staff that love to run (rather than are simply there to make a buck), so if you tell them what your budget is from the getgo, they'll usually work with you as best they can.

If you can't get fitted, then at the very least go to one of those stores that has all their shoes on the floor (not one where you have to ask the sales person to go in the band and get your size). Try on every running shoe they have. Pay attention to how it cups your heal, how it supports your arch, how it hugs your foot, and how much room your toes have. Plan on spending a good hour or so doing this. Once you've tried on a bunch of shoes you'll start to get a feel for the ones that fit you best. You want a snug, supportive fit (not tight, but also not loose).

Also, websites like runner's world have some good at-home "tests" you can do to see what kind of shoe you need (neutral, stability, support, etc), which can be helpful if you can't get fitted.
  • CajunTexan33
    CajunTexan33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Aleve?! Thats adorable... I have autoimmune arthritis..so i am already on a daily anti imflammatory...there is NO helping my inflammtion! I'm always super hydrated and eat clean..so trust me I am doing what I can on that front! Just hoping to find something that could possibly offer more support...I may be too messed up in the knee dept for anything to really make a difference, but they have to be better than my Target shoes! (dont judge me, they were hot orange and I LOVE the look ;)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Every runner has a preference. Every serious runner also has probably had a professional fitting done. I rotate three pairs of Asics around - Scouts for the trails, Kayano for training, and Kinsei for race day. I've been a life-long Asics guy, so I'm biased. Haven't even bothered with other reputable brands like Saucony, Brooks, etc. Hence why buying shoes based on others' advice isn't always the best thing :)
  • TheSwoleMinister_deleted
    Options
    Yup, get custom fitted. I went to a running store and they had floor-level high speed slo-mo cameras that recorded my foot strike patterns as I ran in several pairs of shoes there. Found a great pair that helped with my pronation issue (Asics GT-2170). I freakin love them, and my knee pain has completely gone away.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I live in Houston too. Second the recommendation to go to Luke's Locker and get fitted. They're great. I was having all kinds of issues and knee pain and as soon as I got my new shoes that all went away. And I get out as early as possible to avoid the high heat and humidity. I just can't run in the middle of the day right now, it's so hot it makes me want to throw up!:tongue:
  • Teardrop81
    Teardrop81 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My running shoes are Nike Flex 2013 that sell for $80 at places like Foot Locker and Finish Line. I use to have knee pain when I ran...now I don't. The best part is that they are SO lightweight its like they're not there, my feet NEVER sweat because they breathe a lot (I feel the air coming in through the top and sides constantly), and I guess they offer me the perfect amount of support. I'm sure they're not for everyone, but I absolutely love them. Mine are black with pink tongue and laces with a white sole. :happy:
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I just got a pair of Vibram fivefingers and thought I'd mention that you don't necessarily need extra support. Everyone is different, of course, but changing from shod heel-strike running to a barefoot style front-strike has already made a difference in my knees. Ok my calf muscles are aching, I need to work up to running this way slowly, but I find it a definite improvement.
    Whichever shoes you choose, try shortening your steps, landing on your foot when it's below you, not in front - that lowers the impact and actually makes you use less energy...
  • CajunTexan33
    Options
    Thank you especially to my Houston people- went over to Lukes on my lunch break and got a beautiful new pair of Brooks- LOVE them!!!!!!!
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    go to running store to get fitted/sized. Buy their suggestion online if they can be found cheaper.
  • ToddKirkwood
    Options
    I agree completely. I thought for sure my running days were over with knee pain. Two Rivers Treads and Natural Running techniques changed that. It started with a simple gait analysis on video...incredible torgue on knees with heal strikes! Have run injury free for 3 years now and pushing 4-6 marathons a year with multiple 1/2's in between as training fun runs...you are on the right track for injury free - prolonged running. Stretch those calves after you run and that discomfort will get better for you!:happy:
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You might want to try some compression gear as well. You may find that helps with the discomfort from the swelling
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    gotta get fitted....All the name brands make good shoes...the one that's right for you will be determined by whether you over-pronate, are neutral, or under-pronate...whether you're narrow, wide, etc. Get professionally fitted. A running store will take video of you running to help determine your pronation, etc.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You might want to try some compression gear as well. You may find that helps with the discomfort from the swelling

I was going to suggest this also, so I will second it.

I have recently started using kinesiology tape. Do some research, it may also help your knees.
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Go to a specialty store if you have one near you. It's totally worth it. I did and got someone to give me guidelines on the proper type of shoe to wear, rather than just buying one because it was on sale.

It's made all the difference, I actually, almost, like running.

This!!! I am a runner and actually got a stress fracture mainly due to training in the wrong type of shoes for my gait! Most running stores will take time with you...actually let you run in different shoes and watch how you run do make sure you are getting a shoe that is right for you!

Good luck and welcome to the dark side!

Edited: didn't see your post! I'm currently running in Brooks...LOVE THEM!
  • CajunTexan33
    Options
    Hmmmm I will definitely look into that- thank you for the suggestions! Is the compression gear like shorts/socks or like tape?
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Compression gear is like socks or sleeves (or sleeves on your legs)

As for the KTape.
    I don't know the science of this stuff, but it does help. At this point I don't care if it is even in my head, my shins feel better.

Here is the kind that I found-http://www.kttape.com/

Sounds like there are quite a few different kinds.