Husband, Dad, Vet, 40+ looking for a nudge here and there

Options
kpeck40
kpeck40 Posts: 9 Member
Well after staring at this site for over a week I have decided to post my Intro. My 15 year old daughter actually introduced me to the site back in December, but I was wrapped up in Spark People. It was not until I got my Jawbone Up activity tracker, that I decided it was time to link the two, and make a switch.

A little about me; I am a USN Submarine Service veteran, that served 10 years before getting out in 2000 for a great civilian opportunity. Not only did I leave the service with fond memories, and great shipmates, I left with a cigarette habit that was hard to kick (about a pack and a half a day). For 10 years, I quit probably about twice a year, and every time I quit, I gained weight, and every time I started up again, I kept the weight. Culminating to a weight gain of 120 pounds, and I was staring 350 pounds down a bag of McDonald's fries. When I turned 39 in May of 2011, I was at my worst, 348-350 pounds, smoking, and eating a rough diet of 4000-5000 calories a day, and an unhealthy soda habit to boot. I was a train wreck folks. My 39th birthday, I was completely beside myself with depression, self loathing, and grief. So I had heard about Spark People in an article, and joined. Got me on my feet, but even still, everything was a compromise, a half effort. Made some changes, including quitting smoking, but more of the changes surrounded pseudo dieting, and not actual lifestyle changes. You wouldn't know it to look at me then, but I rarely ate all day, and then would gorge in to the night.

So I yo-yo'd with my weigh until I turned 40 last year, but never coming below the 315-330 weight. By then we had joined the Lifetime franchise of gyms but was so inconsistent on going. I decided to make 40 better than 39, and hit the gym the day of my birthday, and in fact every day that week, sometimes twice a day. Besides the holiday season set back (hit a hard plateau), I have been consistently eating better, and going to the gym 4-6 times a week. I hit my 41st birthday over a month ago, and I am happy to say that I am in the 270s now. Which leaves me around 50 pounds left to lose before my 42nd.

My mantra is that I WILL live life better in my 40's than I ever did in my 30's. I have two wonderful kids, one in college, and one getting ready to go in a couple of years, and I want to have this amazing active life with my wife of 22 years. I want to live life like a freaking Subaru commercial, and just never stop being active and experiencing life like we were meant to.

So if you want to add me, feel free to. I have had many successes, and many failures over the past few years, and I will admit there is so much more for me to learn, so I am not afraid to ask.

Replies

• lngman
    lngman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this and hoping I can stick with it. I'm another guy in his 40's who's trying to get back to fighting weight. It looks like you've kicked the eating and smoking issues and it's all down hill from here. Thanks for your service, by the way.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I also am a dad, grandpa and a Army vet. I did 6 years,got out in 1985. Feel free to add me.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    here is some motivation for you, good luck TRAIN INSANE or Remain the Same

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hCM2VCec-g

semper fi

Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • mousemom18
    mousemom18 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Dude, let me get this straight.

You've been married for 22 years, have two great kids and a job you like.

So far you have quit smoking and lost 50 lbs.

And what exactly do you need help with?

Okay, I'm only half kidding but it's time to put the self loathing to bed and look forward. You've got a lot going for you and you have proven that you can do this. Welcome to the Site and I hope we can help.
  • G__Force
    G__Force Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You're here, so you're ready. lets get it done!!! Add me I can through some encouraging words your way!!
  • kpeck40
    kpeck40 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Fair enough. Yes, I have a loving wife & best friend of 22 years (hs sweethearts), and two very smart kids, and from the ashes of my first civilian career, I now am in a position with the University of Cincinnati (5 yrs now) that provides my kids with free tuition. Yes, I am blessed. Just wish that the stress of holding it all together did not drive me to years of stress eating and binge smoking. I have most of it in the past, but believe me, it is always the boogie man under my bed.
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Great job and thank you for your service. I'm close to 40 and have had the same self realization that health and family are everything. Add me if you would like some support.
  • JessicaZen
    JessicaZen Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your sevice first and formost and everyone who has served thank you. You are doing such an amazing job. I am 42 and decided to get healthy when I found out I was pregnant four years ago and am still on this lifestyle change and loving it. feel free to add me if you would like.
  • jhalton
    jhalton Posts: 85
    Options
    Thanks for your service so my family and I can enjoy the freedom and many blessings we have! Great job on your fitness goals so far....keep it up! Add me as a friend if you want.

Take care,

Jack
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Me, I'm dad of 2 & grandad, of 5 ex Royal Navy [skiimer not sludge mariner]]

Add me if you wish
  • kimdyj
    kimdyj Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :)
  • Bull2707
    Bull2707 Posts: 106
    Options
    39 year old Marine, father lets do this brother