Crossfit anyone?

Options
Anybody do crossfit? I just entered a fitness challenge and I thought Crossfit would be a great way to drive lean muscle mass development and lose some inches!
I have been doing pretty well so far I think with the exercises/weights I have been doing, but I really want to kick it up a notch.
I'm not worried about gaining weight if I am trading fat for muscle... I am more focused on my inches lost and how much energy I have.
Appreciate any feedback!

Replies

• Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Sorry you didn't get a reply from others. There is a large group of us here who do crossfit. Search for crossfit in the groups and ask your questions there. I'm sure you will get a big response :)
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    It seems like it would be an amazing workout, though not for everyone.

I tried it once and hated it, but it more the people then the actual workouts. I would love to try it again if I can find a box where the people know what they are doing and can teacher proper form and modifications if necessary.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Group: CrossFit Love

CF is the best. If you really want to push yourself to be better every single day then try it out. Most Boxes offer a free first week so you can get a taste of it. I'll be honest. It is not easy. You will do your first WOD and think WTH am I doing this for? Then afterward you feel great and you show up day after day. You will never get bored. You will be stronger than ever. You will learn just how far you can push yourself. he BEST I tell you.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options

I tried it once and hated it, but it more the people then the actual workouts. I would love to try it again if I can find a box where the people know what they are doing and can teacher proper form and modifications if necessary.

Yes it isn't for everyone. You do need to shop around for a good Box too. Do your research before signing up.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

I think this is totally legit. I have been doing it for 3 weeks and love it, but totally agree that your choice of box is key. Mine is completely focused on form and being safe and the coaches harp on form CONSTANTLY and will stop and correct you if it starts to go. Was also lucky enough to fall in with a good group of people too. A few in amazing shape who have been doing it for a few years, a few in average shape but moving in the right direction, a few like me who are in OK shape bu tneeded a new kick, a few who haven't exercised for years and are doing CF to keep them motivated.

Everyone in the gym supports everyone else, which really helps. If your box was not like that I can see how it would be a big turnoff.

If you like the workouts you can always pull them off the web and give them a try on your own, too. But you will not push yourself as hard on your own as you will in a group. That's just human nature for most of us.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Group: CrossFit Love

CF is the best. If you really want to push yourself to be better every single day then try it out. Most Boxes offer a free first week so you can get a taste of it. I'll be honest. It is not easy. You will do your first WOD and think WTH am I doing this for? Then afterward you feel great and you show up day after day. You will never get bored. You will be stronger than ever. You will learn just how far you can push yourself. he BEST I tell you.

Agreed. And the fat will just fall off of you. I'm 3 weeks in and am down 13 lbs. I've also been watching my diet, but I don't starve myself by any mean. I average about 2600-3000 calories a day.
  • engineergirl
    engineergirl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first week and I'm totally hooked! There's no possible way to get bored with Crossfit, the people are great and the workouts, while tough, are quick and dirty. You'll think as you're working out that this sucks, it's so hard, but once it's over you'll realize it wasn't so bad and you'll find yourself strangely looking forward to the next day's workout.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Nah, I don't want to eff my shoulders up.
  • engineergirl
    engineergirl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot to mention, they're great about scaling excercises and modifying things for every level. You'll see beginners to long time crossfitters in the same session, all doing their different forms of the same movement. They're super aware of using good form and pay close attention to help prevent injuries.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    In for the typical CF hate....I don't do it...doesn't jive with my fitness goals, but these threads always end up being pretty entertaining...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9kVvpc8sqwEO7E7zjcoignfOftIaVAYqxO8wicQxS3NY_uNNH6Q
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for their feedback. I have joined the group referenced... I am going down today to my local box and checking them out! Very excited to get started. I definitely want to kick my workouts to the next level. Again, I'm not worried about the scale going up as much as I am about the inches going down!