Strength training

Options
Hello everyone,

I have a slight worry here.
I do zumba classes 4-5 times a week and I try to put in some aerobics in my week as well.
Our zumba classes consist of 45 minutes of dancing (we have one song with weights for the upper body) and the last 15 minutes are butt exercises, abs and back (crunches push ups and so on). I try extra hard in this part and usually do twice the amount of exercise than I'm supposed to (for instance doing 50 crunches instead of 25 and so on). I feel perfectly fine and I eat enough and I feel healthy while losing weight.

Everywhere I read on the Internet, though, says I should include a weight training class (which I hate). Is what we do in zumba enough or should I take this seriously and take up a weight training class as well?

Furthermore, I've been doing zumba for a month now. When roughly am I expected to plateau? And will it even happen now since I'm trying to include more aerobics into my week (gradually, to prevent exercise induced nausea)?
Thanks for any input.

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Zumba Toning isn't in any way shape or form a replacement or even supplement to weight training.

You don't absolutely have to do weight training to lose weight. But still, give it a try. you might find something like suspension training more to your liking. See if your gym has a TRX class.
  • littletoblerone
    Options
    Thank you for replying.
    Unfortunately they don't offer TRX. What I can choose from is aerobics body combat, ball pilates, mat pilates and power pilates.
    Which of these would be best?
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I'm not super familiar with pilates. More of metal-weights kind of person. But if I was in your shoes, I'd start with the easiest then progress to the hardest.
  • littletoblerone
    Options
    Once again, thank you for replying. Could you just briefly explain why zumba toning isn't enough? Thanks!
  • glitter_pie
    Options
    Hey guys,

I'm brand new to myfitnesspal, and my reply to this thread has a two-fold motive.
    One: Zumba is cardio. It gets your blood pumping through your heart and veins, which is good. It will burn calories, which will help you maintain or lower your weight by burning fat, depending how many calories you consume each day. Burning fat will help tone a little, because burning that fat will help define your muscle. It will not build muscle, and muscle gives the toned appearance. To build muscle, you need to consume more calories than you burn, and start weight training. Generally, because building muscle requires extra calories, and burning fat requires losing calories, people have a hard time doing both simultaneously. Thus, switching between 'bulk' and 'cut' cycles every few weeks leads eventually to toning. Bulking= building muscle, and cutting= losing fat. Strength training will help you prevent osteoporosis and arthritis. It may also make you feel great about everything, because it is hard to do and once you're done, you'll probably be really proud of yourself.
    Two: I'm here for tips on weight training. I started in Nov. 2012 and enjoyed my 'newbie gains'. They're over, though. I am ready to enter a bulking phase, and I'd like some feedback on my plan:
    Three days a week, I do:
    Bicep curls: 3 sets of 25 reps at 40 pounds
    Tricep curls: 2 sets of 20 reps at 50 pounds
    Quads: 2 sets of 20 reps at 60 pounds
    Hams: 2 sets of 20 reps at 70 pounds
    Ab curls: 3 sets of 20 reps at 20 pounds
    Hip adductor/abductors: 2 sets of 10 reps at 50 pounds
    Pecs/triceps: 2 sets of 30 reps at 40 pounds

I break these up with 13- 12- and 5-minute cardio sessions, totaling 300 calories. I burn 2350 calories each gym day, and consume 2550 because I found out I can't build in a calorie deficit. On rest days, I consume 1950.

Once a week, I'll do shoulder work at 2 sets of 20-30 reps, starting at 30 pounds, depending on the body part, plus lateral press and rowing, since my shoulders are really weak and I'm just starting on them now.

... Thoughts? Specifically, I would like people to let me know if I can get some solid definition and semi-serious pipes with this workout if I do it for three months, with one week of absolute rest at the end of each month. My concerns are that I may be overdoing my arms with too many reps, and exhausting them past their capacity to build, and that I may not be consuming enough calories. Also, I heard that muscles respond to change, so I'd like some other people's advice on whether this plan is too 'blah' to work. Thanks, everyone!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Check out Stronglifts or NROLFW.
  • tbullucks06
    tbullucks06 Posts: 128
    Options
    I hate strength training too! I'm struggling to do it because I hate it so much. I can do cardio forever over it. Glad to know some one else hates it too. :)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Once again, thank you for replying. Could you just briefly explain why zumba toning isn't enough? Thanks!

Lifting those 1 pound "toning sticks" doesn't constitute strength training. Not even a little bit.

This is not to say you should give up Zumba; you should do what you like and what you'll stick with, but if you really want to start strength training, you should look into specific strength training programs.
  • cmdoiy
    cmdoiy Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Since January, I've been doing majority cardio and some isolated arm/shoulder/leg weight work on the gym machines. I recently picked up NROLFW and am trying it out. According to the authors of the book, it's better to do more complex strength training exercises that work larger muscle groups in order to really see a change in your body. It's too early for me to judge whether the program is good or not, but I figure I'll give it a fair shot.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Thank you for replying.
    Unfortunately they don't offer TRX. What I can choose from is aerobics body combat, ball pilates, mat pilates and power pilates.
    Which of these would be best?

Ummm...NONE of those are weight training. For strength training, get yourself out of the classes and into the weight section of the gym.

When you use weights (be they dumbbells or machines), aim for 3 sets of 10-12 reps (with 30-60 seconds of rest between each set), using a weight where you reach *failure* between the 10th and 12th rep (ie if you can't get to 10 reps, your weight is too heavy and you need to go lighter...if you get to 12 reps and could keep going, you need to go heavier). As Chalene Johnson says "Go heavy or go home!" (one of my favorite quotes). :) Great body weight exercises (no dumbbells or machines needed) are pushups and dips for upper body (modify if you need to) and squats and lunges for lower body (you can carry dumbbells if you want more resistance).

Hope that helps! :happy:
  • julesassid
    julesassid Posts: 49
    Options
    To "ease" into lifting I've been doing this program:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/womens-body-bible.html

It's very easy to follow, no extra special equipment is needed either. I have increased my weight on everything and am on week 8.
    What I notice as I do not have extra time to get in cardio everyday is that I have gained 4 lbs in 8 weeks. I'm in the process of switching this up to do 2 days worth of lifting on Monday's, then Tuesday I run, Wednesday is a "whatever sounds good day", Thursday the other 2 days worth of lifting, Friday is Strength and Cycle spin class, that incorporates spin with pushups, burpees, lunges, that sort of stuff, the Saturday I run again. I also walk 2 miles everyday on work breaks at a very fast pace.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I'm brand new to myfitnesspal, and my reply to this thread has a two-fold motive.
    One: Zumba is cardio. It gets your blood pumping through your heart and veins, which is good. It will burn calories, which will help you maintain or lower your weight by burning fat, depending how many calories you consume each day. Burning fat will help tone a little, because burning that fat will help define your muscle. It will not build muscle, and muscle gives the toned appearance. To build muscle, you need to consume more calories than you burn, and start weight training. Generally, because building muscle requires extra calories, and burning fat requires losing calories, people have a hard time doing both simultaneously. Thus, switching between 'bulk' and 'cut' cycles every few weeks leads eventually to toning. Bulking= building muscle, and cutting= losing fat. Strength training will help you prevent osteoporosis and arthritis. It may also make you feel great about everything, because it is hard to do and once you're done, you'll probably be really proud of yourself.
    Two: I'm here for tips on weight training. I started in Nov. 2012 and enjoyed my 'newbie gains'. They're over, though. I am ready to enter a bulking phase, and I'd like some feedback on my plan:
    Three days a week, I do:
    Bicep curls: 3 sets of 25 reps at 40 pounds
    Tricep curls: 2 sets of 20 reps at 50 pounds
    Quads: 2 sets of 20 reps at 60 pounds
    Hams: 2 sets of 20 reps at 70 pounds
    Ab curls: 3 sets of 20 reps at 20 pounds
    Hip adductor/abductors: 2 sets of 10 reps at 50 pounds
    Pecs/triceps: 2 sets of 30 reps at 40 pounds

I break these up with 13- 12- and 5-minute cardio sessions, totaling 300 calories. I burn 2350 calories each gym day, and consume 2550 because I found out I can't build in a calorie deficit. On rest days, I consume 1950.

Once a week, I'll do shoulder work at 2 sets of 20-30 reps, starting at 30 pounds, depending on the body part, plus lateral press and rowing, since my shoulders are really weak and I'm just starting on them now.

... Thoughts? Specifically, I would like people to let me know if I can get some solid definition and semi-serious pipes with this workout if I do it for three months, with one week of absolute rest at the end of each month. My concerns are that I may be overdoing my arms with too many reps, and exhausting them past their capacity to build, and that I may not be consuming enough calories. Also, I heard that muscles respond to change, so I'd like some other people's advice on whether this plan is too 'blah' to work. Thanks, everyone!
    1. Make your own thread
    2. Your program description is vague, but I can already tell you your program is *kitten*. What lifts are you actually doing? Why are your reps so high? You won't build mass that way. What % of your 1RM are you doing? Are you doing this all on one day? If so, why aren't you on a split? Full body workouts are fine for beginners, but if you've already used up your noob gains you should really be on a split. Why are you even making your own program if you don't know what goes into a quality program? Pick one of the well know programs until you get a good a good understanding of building a program. There's 5/3/1 BBB, 5/3/1 triumvirate, HST, DoggCrapp, HST, PHAT, etc. There are so many great programs out there. You should only make your own program is you really know what you're doing.
  • shst07
    shst07 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Check out Stronglifts or NROLFW.

This. I think you will see amazing results if you start lifting heavy and are in a calorie deficit. You're body will change in ways you could have never imagined.